Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Bowl Finger Foods for Vegan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Bowl Finger Foods for Vegan

We have been invited to our neighbors to watch the super bowl this year. The neighbor lady is a vegan so is careful about what she eats. i would like to make a nice finger food offering for us all that she too can enjoy but I have now idea what to consider. Whatever it is I hope to use the 2 star general for the cook. Any recipes / ideas are certainly welcome.

How about veggie kabobs? Either buy some short wooden or bamboo skewers or sturdy toothpicks. You could also cut longer skewers to make shorter skewers.

Then cut your veggies into bite sized pieces and marinate in a sauce of your choice, (teriyaki works well for veggies). Skewer the veggies and place in your 2 Star to cook indirect until done.

Alternately, you could place the marinated veggies on something like a Frog Mat to cook, then skewer. That would allow you to pull pieces off when they are done and then skewer. Toothpicks should work well for cooked veggies.
    Last edited by RonB; January 16, 2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

It isn't possible to have a good vegan Super Bowl party.

Comment

What you need to know is that vegans won't eat anything that involved an animal in production, for example mayonnaise (eggs, from chickens) or honey (bees from bees ;-) Google 'vegan finger foods', this was the first hit: https://www.veganricha.com/2017/01/4...d-recipes.html

Comment

carrots

Comment

Beyond Meat is plant-based, vegan meat that's tasty & better for you and for our planet. Find us in a store or menu near you nationwide.

Those BeyondSausage things could give some ideas!

So could some of the ground products in tacos or such.

Comment

Maybe just ask the hostess for some ideas? I think she would be the one to know for sure.

Comment

You may have to forgo the grill/smoker entirely. A vegan I know would never eat anything cooked in a pan, grill, smoker, etc. that has previously been used to cook meat. . . . ever! IMO you have serious MCS if you own a grill/smoker that you have designated only for vegan/veg cooking !

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's why you pick up a smokey joe just for vegetables.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some people are just nuts. Like washing that pan or grate did not get the animal by products off...

Mushrooms stuffed with vegan cheese, buffalo cauliflower, jackfruit stuffed jalapeno poppers.

Comment

Here's a fun example of true vegan "finger" food .....https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/pal...inger-cookies/

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or Lorena Bobbit's been at it again ...... ......

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman - boy did she have the right last name...

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Perfect Troutman!

You may want to make sure there are no issues with using a grill that has been used for meat. Costco veggie platter is probably ur best bet.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful ideas and suggestions. I asked this question on another forum and nearly everyone there was rather insensitive of the diet selection and thought it appropriate to make fun of it. Clearly speaks volumes as to which site has first class people rather than, well you get the idea. Thanks again for some great suggestions.
                    Last edited by Bighorn Dave; January 17, 2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I think another thing to know is whether she's strict vegan or if she's vegetarian.

Non-vegan, non-vegetarian people often use "vegan" as a catch-all term, but it's not quite accurate. My understanding is a vegan is anyone who does not consume or use animal products at all. Vegans can be particular about the utensils used to prepare their food as well as the actual foods they eat. Vegetarians can be more flexible about what they eat and if they will use products derived from animals (leather for example). Vegetarians can be strict vegetarians (veggie foods only), ovo-lacto (eggs, dairy), etc.

I'm an omnivore, but my stepson was vegetarian for a time. He still prefers to not eat a lot of red meat, but he will eat fish and poultry.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaGirl View Post
                        I think another thing to know is whether she's strict vegan or if she's vegetarian.

Non-vegan, non-vegetarian people often use "vegan" as a catch-all term, but it's not quite accurate. My understanding is a vegan is anyone who does not consume or use animal products at all. Vegans can be particular about the utensils used to prepare their food as well as the actual foods they eat. Vegetarians can be more flexible about what they eat and if they will use products derived from animals (leather for example). Vegetarians can be strict vegetarians (veggie foods only), ovo-lacto (eggs, dairy), etc.

I'm an omnivore, but my stepson was vegetarian for a time. He still prefers to not eat a lot of red meat, but he will eat fish and poultry.
                        Yep, she is 100% full blown vegan. What started it for her was after dealing with life threatening cancer twice and getting it into remission someone suggested she try going vegan. With nothing to loose she did and found that for her and her body chemistry she felt much better and no signs of the cancer returning after several years now. Something I hope stays that way.
                        Oh and by the way. The other site I mentioned, one of the guys there suggested I move along if I couldn't take the teasing. Now I understand that if the teasing was directed at me and I reacted inappropriately, but in this case it was directed at someone completely unaware and not able to explain or defend herself. Seems rather cowardly and childish. I can't help but wonder it that same person mocks a person in a wheelchair or a child with a physical challenge they have no control over. My guess is they probably do.

Comment

Well said, Bighorn Dave . Knowing the back story might make the commenter on the other site want to edit his/her thoughts. A little joshing around about what we enjoy eating seems OK. I get tons of ribbing (pun intended) from most of my family because I'm such a hard core carnivore, so it goes both ways. But our health is so important. I applaud your neighbor for finding a food plan that works for her and I wish her well.

In the meanwhile, would she be interested in an edamame dip with falafel chips on the side? I've used this recipe for edamame dip which turns out pretty good:

https://peasandcrayons.com/2018/04/c...amame-dip.html

I get falafel chips at the grocery store. This brand comes in plain and spicy flavors and is certified organic and vegan: Flamous Falafel Chips

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here