Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortened versions of Meathead recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortened versions of Meathead recipes?

I love Meathead's explanations behind each step of his recipes. They're really helpful when reviewing a recipe the first time.

I'm wondering if we can have a shortened version for those of us who already accept his logic, and just want to remember what all the steps in the recipe are. Perhaps just for Pit members?

I thought of this while following the pastrami recipe. This is already a very long, involved process, with many steps. It's even harder to make sure you're following all those steps when they are surrounded by all the explanation.

Again -- love all the exposition. Just wondering if there's a way to call out just the steps.

Try copying to a recipe app like Paprika. It seems to only pick up the ingredients and the main instructions.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll echo the endorsement for the Paprika app. Importing recipes is a snap, and it seems to zero in on the essentials

SeriousEats has a good approach, though kind of labor-intensive: 2 articles. The first one gives the thinking; the second the recipe pretty much direct (often with notes though).

It's tradeoffs - I'd hate to try to reorganize all of the existing recipes on this site. Just too much!

Comment

This does come up from time to time. I will defer to the man himself. Meathead

Comment

Doesn't this site have a print recipe button? I haven't tried it on this site, but typically those that will open up a print-friendly version that typically only contains the recipe and not the entire article or at least give you an option to only show the recipe and no accompanying text or photos

Edit:
        Here is the link to the full Char Siu ribs article, complete with narrative and sidebars, etc

Everybody loves Chinese restaurant "BBQ" ribs. They have a distinct pork flavor, a glossy sheen that implies the sweet glaze beneath, and a glowing red-pink color that penetrates the surface. Here's a simple recipe for making Chinatown char siu ribs at home on your grill or in the oven featuring a flavorful marinade.

Here is the print-friendly link that has just the recipe:

Everybody loves Chinese restaurant "BBQ" ribs. They have a distinct pork flavor, a glossy sheen that implies the sweet glaze beneath, and a glowing red-pink color that penetrates the surface. Here's a simple recipe for making Chinatown char siu ribs at home on your grill or in the oven featuring a flavorful marinade.
        Last edited by shify; January 9, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If I want just the recipe (which is pretty rare), I highlight that part, and use Evernote Clipper in my browser to save it. Works great, but Evernote does have an annual fee.

Copy and paste what you want/need to word doc then save. Back it up to another device and you will always have your favorite AR recipes. I even print my personal faves and slip them into a, gasp!, 3 ring binder. A little old fashioned, but that's how I roll....

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I know and totally appreciate that, and all of what you guys do Meathead. Sometimes I just have to chuckle, and crack a little wise, at our First World "issues". I do, like many I suppose, have a book of family recipes my Mom complied over 40 years ago to which I add some of my favorite AR recipes. Most of my family is gone now and it's fun to visit with them through their recipes. I guess you all are a part of that now, even Clint!

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          three ring binders ROCK!!

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I use 3 ring binders too. Showing my age I guess?

We just installed the print button on all recipes last month. It strips the page down to just the recipe "card" and removes the pix and funny quote. The pastrami recipe prints on just a little more than 1 page (I have asked the tech team to leave out the nutrition info). That's the bare minimum.

Comment

That's cool! I had printed everything brisket, rubs, mop sauce, etc and had about fifteen pages (maybe more) stapled at a corner. It ended up getting a bit messy with spices and mop, but it sure does smell good!

Comment

Very easy to organize in Microsoft OneNote. You can select a recipe, find that "print friendly" button, and then "Print to OneNote"... it goes directly there and then just name it and drag it to the appropriate tab. Also, copy pictures, text, URL links. Make notes directly on the recipe page with your results and comments; success, changes, what smoke was used, etc... OneNote doesn't have a "save" button - it is all saved automatically (took me awhile to get used to that). Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote1.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	621061Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	621062Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote3.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	621063

Comment

Can we have a list of just the "funny quotes"? 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                We just installed the print button on all recipes last month. It strips the page down to just the recipe "card" and removes the pix and funny quote. The pastrami recipe prints on just a little more than 1 page (I have asked the tech team to leave out the nutrition info). That's the bare minimum.
                I just tried it. Worked great, but Nutrition Info still in the printout. Nutrition-schmutrition. I love that pastrami no matter what.

Kathryn

Comment

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Nutrition-schmutrition"

Yep, sometimes I'd rather not know.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OR, who gives a rip about nutrition.
                  It’s food, BBQ or in the neighborhood, let’s eat.

That print button is AWESOME!!! Thanks for the upgrade AmazibgRibs!

Going to combine this with the old school tip of tossing them in a three ring binder. So many recipes in my family have gotten lost over the years and through the generations due to "Hey, do you have Mom’s recipe for X?" "No, I thought YOU had it!"-type stuff it’s a crying shame.

Apps and computer programs are great, but who knows where technology will be when I kick the bucket? And all it would take would be one lost password or one expired subscription for everything to be gone forever.

Everybody who is important to me, however, will know where my cookbook of collected recipes is.

Comment

That print button is AWESOME!!! Thanks for the upgrade AmazibgRibs!

Going to combine this with the old school tip of tossing them in a three ring binder. So many recipes in my family have gotten lost over the years and through the generations due to "Hey, do you have Mom’s recipe for X?" "No, I thought YOU had it!"-type stuff it’s a crying shame.

Apps and computer programs are great, but who knows where technology will be when I kick the bucket? And all it would take would be one lost password or one expired subscription for everything to be gone forever.

Everybody who is important to me, however, will know where my cookbook of collected recipes is.

Comment

Add me to the three-ring binder team. You sure can't do this with a laptop, or even a tablet:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skirt Hangar Recipe Holder.jpg Views:	2 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	621530

Actually, I often put my laptop on the kitchen counter, especially when I'm trying a recipe out for the first time or three. Once I've decided that it's a keeper it gets printed and into the binder. Then I can just pull it out and hang it over the counter, as in the picture.

BTW, I print on both sides of the paper and punch three holes in both long edges of the paper. That way, I have the option of which sides of two pages face each other.

Last edited by gcdmd; January 11, 2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pretty clever holder there. Thanks, gcdmd .

Kathryn

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting how we blend new technology with the old. Glad to see I'm not the only one! I keep handwritten notebooks for my grilling and smoking adventures and my other crafts. Typing on the 'puter just isn't the same. GPS and maps are another example. There's no doubt GPS is handy, but blindly following the "GPS Lady" is no substitute for studying a map and building a mental picture of the route too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here