Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

GOLD MEDAL SPOTLIGHT

These are not ads. These are products we love and highly recommend. Click here to read more about our medals and what they mean.

Gold Medal Gift Guide

Gold Medal Gift Guide

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Pitmaster Award winners or Gold Medalist, listed by price.

Click here

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, this is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to order from Amazon

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortened versions of Meathead recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top | #1

Shortened versions of Meathead recipes?

I love Meathead's explanations behind each step of his recipes. They're really helpful when reviewing a recipe the first time.

I'm wondering if we can have a shortened version for those of us who already accept his logic, and just want to remember what all the steps in the recipe are. Perhaps just for Pit members?

I thought of this while following the pastrami recipe. This is already a very long, involved process, with many steps. It's even harder to make sure you're following all those steps when they are surrounded by all the explanation.

Again -- love all the exposition. Just wondering if there's a way to call out just the steps.

• Top | #2
    Try copying to a recipe app like Paprika. It seems to only pick up the ingredients and the main instructions.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll echo the endorsement for the Paprika app. Importing recipes is a snap, and it seems to zero in on the essentials

• Top | #3
    SeriousEats has a good approach, though kind of labor-intensive: 2 articles. The first one gives the thinking; the second the recipe pretty much direct (often with notes though).

It's tradeoffs - I'd hate to try to reorganize all of the existing recipes on this site. Just too much!

Comment

• Top | #4
      This does come up from time to time. I will defer to the man himself. Meathead

Comment

• Top | #5
        Doesn't this site have a print recipe button? I haven't tried it on this site, but typically those that will open up a print-friendly version that typically only contains the recipe and not the entire article or at least give you an option to only show the recipe and no accompanying text or photos

Edit:
        Here is the link to the full Char Siu ribs article, complete with narrative and sidebars, etc

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-char-siu-ribs

Here is the print-friendly link that has just the recipe:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ribs?pr=recipe
        Last edited by shify; January 9th, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If I want just the recipe (which is pretty rare), I highlight that part, and use Evernote Clipper in my browser to save it. Works great, but Evernote does have an annual fee.

• Top | #6
        Copy and paste what you want/need to word doc then save. Back it up to another device and you will always have your favorite AR recipes. I even print my personal faves and slip them into a, gasp!, 3 ring binder. A little old fashioned, but that's how I roll....

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I know and totally appreciate that, and all of what you guys do Meathead. Sometimes I just have to chuckle, and crack a little wise, at our First World "issues". I do, like many I suppose, have a book of family recipes my Mom complied over 40 years ago to which I add some of my favorite AR recipes. Most of my family is gone now and it's fun to visit with them through their recipes. I guess you all are a part of that now, even Clint!

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          three ring binders ROCK!!

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I use 3 ring binders too. Showing my age I guess?

• Top | #7
        We just installed the print button on all recipes last month. It strips the page down to just the recipe "card" and removes the pix and funny quote. The pastrami recipe prints on just a little more than 1 page (I have asked the tech team to leave out the nutrition info). That's the bare minimum.

Comment

• Top | #8
          That's cool! I had printed everything brisket, rubs, mop sauce, etc and had about fifteen pages (maybe more) stapled at a corner. It ended up getting a bit messy with spices and mop, but it sure does smell good!

Comment

• Top | #9
            Very easy to organize in Microsoft OneNote. You can select a recipe, find that "print friendly" button, and then "Print to OneNote"... it goes directly there and then just name it and drag it to the appropriate tab. Also, copy pictures, text, URL links. Make notes directly on the recipe page with your results and comments; success, changes, what smoke was used, etc... OneNote doesn't have a "save" button - it is all saved automatically (took me awhile to get used to that). Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	621061Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote2.JPG
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	621062Click image for larger version

Name:	OneNote3.JPG
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	621063

Comment

• Top | #10
              Can we have a list of just the “funny quotes”? 😎

Comment

• Top | #11
                Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                We just installed the print button on all recipes last month. It strips the page down to just the recipe "card" and removes the pix and funny quote. The pastrami recipe prints on just a little more than 1 page (I have asked the tech team to leave out the nutrition info). That's the bare minimum.
                I just tried it. Worked great, but Nutrition Info still in the printout. Nutrition-schmutrition. I love that pastrami no matter what.

Kathryn

Comment

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Nutrition-schmutrition"

Yep, sometimes I'd rather not know.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OR, who gives a rip about nutrition.
                  It’s food, BBQ or in the neighborhood, let’s eat.

• Top | #12
                That print button is AWESOME!!! Thanks for the upgrade AmazibgRibs!

Going to combine this with the old school tip of tossing them in a three ring binder. So many recipes in my family have gotten lost over the years and through the generations due to “Hey, do you have Mom’s recipe for X?” “No, I thought YOU had it!”-type stuff it’s a crying shame.

Apps and computer programs are great, but who knows where technology will be when I kick the bucket? And all it would take would be one lost password or one expired subscription for everything to be gone forever.

Everybody who is important to me, however, will know where my cookbook of collected recipes is.

Comment

• Top | #13
                  That print button is AWESOME!!! Thanks for the upgrade AmazibgRibs!

Going to combine this with the old school tip of tossing them in a three ring binder. So many recipes in my family have gotten lost over the years and through the generations due to “Hey, do you have Mom’s recipe for X?” “No, I thought YOU had it!”-type stuff it’s a crying shame.

Apps and computer programs are great, but who knows where technology will be when I kick the bucket? And all it would take would be one lost password or one expired subscription for everything to be gone forever.

Everybody who is important to me, however, will know where my cookbook of collected recipes is.

Comment

• Top | #14
                    Add me to the three-ring binder team. You sure can't do this with a laptop, or even a tablet:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skirt Hangar Recipe Holder.jpg Views:	2 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	621530

Actually, I often put my laptop on the kitchen counter, especially when I'm trying a recipe out for the first time or three. Once I've decided that it's a keeper it gets printed and into the binder. Then I can just pull it out and hang it over the counter, as in the picture.

BTW, I print on both sides of the paper and punch three holes in both long edges of the paper. That way, I have the option of which sides of two pages face each other.

Last edited by gcdmd; January 11th, 2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pretty clever holder there. Thanks, gcdmd .

Kathryn

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting how we blend new technology with the old. Glad to see I'm not the only one! I keep handwritten notebooks for my grilling and smoking adventures and my other crafts. Typing on the 'puter just isn't the same. GPS and maps are another example. There's no doubt GPS is handy, but blindly following the "GPS Lady" is no substitute for studying a map and building a mental picture of the route too.
                  Working...
                  X