Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salting meat before vacuum sealing and freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salting meat before vacuum sealing and freezing

Just got back from my local grocery store and they had a few meat deals I had to take advantage of. I got an 8 lb pork butt, and buy one get one top rounds about 2.5 lbs each. Since I have no immediate plans for using any of them I was going to vac seal and freeze for later. My question is, would it be beneficial to salt the top rounds (butt already in cryovac) before sealing and freezing them? Would it save time and effort later or will it result in a strange cured texture after cooking?

I've pre-salted, sealed and frozen many times. Works just fine.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
      ILikePigButts commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I read something about a cured texture on chefsteps but I think they were sous viding, I'll be smoking.

Salt vac freeze all the time 🤓

Comment

Personally, I prefer to dry brine, rinse thoroughly, and dry off thoroughly before vac sealing and freezing. That way you avoid the potentially wonky behavior of salt under vacuum either before or after freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
        Personally, I prefer to dry brine, rinse thoroughly, and dry off thoroughly before vac sealing and freezing. That way you avoid the potentially wonky behavior of salt under vacuum either before or after freezing.
        Plus 1on this method.

Comment

I say yes but write that on your label along with the date.

Comment

I buy chuck roasts when they go on sale, salt, and apply rub. Then, instead of the smoker, they get vacuum sealed and go to the freezer. When it comes time to cook, there is no thawing required this way.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
              Randy-Phx commented
              Editing a comment
              You go from the freezer straight to the smoker?

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure do, Randy-Phx. It doesn't even take a significantly longer time to cook, in my experience.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been cooking most of my meat frozen these days - steaks, pork chops, low/slow meats, etc.. It facilitates better surface color for steaks and chops due to the longer cook time and develops a killer smoke ring for low/slow.

I do this with pork shoulders and ribs. Works just fine.

Comment

I do this also. I do leave in the refrigerator overnight before freezing. I don't know if that helps, but it can't hurt. As already mentioned, make sure you mark as brined.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
                ILikePigButts commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought about that but then I figured if I take it out of the freezer and into the fridge to thaw for a day or two it would be doing the same thing essentially.

MBMorgan I'm curious what wonky behavior salt has under vacuum. The reason I ask is I recently got a vacuum sealer and it seems awfully convenient to salt before vac sealing.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                According to a chef friend of mine, he worries about being able to predict how much salt (and how quickly ... or slowly) will be absorbed under vacuum. Based on his concerns, I've decided that for me, I'm going to dry brine then rinse to make sure that there isn't any more salt that could possibly be absorbed. I typically move from brine, freeze, and thaw straight into a SV bath (not really part of this discussion) ... and the SV step makes it even harder to predict the behavior of seasonings.

As others have said, it will work jus fine.

Dillons, by chance?
              They have that sale on here, BOGO chuckies, top, an bottom round roast.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
                ILikePigButts commented
                Editing a comment
                No it's a Giant Eagle. It's usually pretty expensive there so when something is on sale it's a good idea to just get it lol.

I do this all of the time and have never had a problem. As for the cured effect I'm pretty sure that only applies to pink salt.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here