Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs-membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BriggsBBQ I was at Costco late last week and they did have some monstrous tomawk ribeyes.

HawkerXP Don't get me wrong. I love Costco for many things, just not necessarily for meat.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a super thick 3.5 lb tomahawk.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Just because they have an aircraft in the same hangar as me and one of my closest (work) friends maintains it...…. Awe crap. Its just another place to shop. To each his own.

I just smoked up a 3 pack of SL ribs from Costco over the weekend and all had a membrane. 2 of them came off easily. The 3rd one was a post 1 bourbon wrestling match that I eventually won.

I buy pork belly, ribs, bone in pork loin and chuckies at Costco. I usually get my pork butt at local grocers such as The Pig, Hyvee, etc. when they put them on the .99/per pound special. I have not seen tomahawks or beef ribs at my Costco for close to a year now. Not sure why as they always seemed very popular. I am not a brisket or prime rib cooker because I cannot justify the price vs. my love of pork flavor.

Comment

I've always had a hell of a time removing the membrane when there wasn't one.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Had the same thought. Several times neighbors have asked me to show them how to remove the membrane because they were having a hard time at it.. Each time they brought them over, the membrane wasn’t there.

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Usually the wrestling match is with the one that breaks into pieces and you have to restart the peel again.

No catfish skinners have about a 3/4” wide jaw that will grip the membrane without slipping. They are made to skin catfish and can be found in the fishing department

Comment

The crayovac BB's at our Costco and every other one I been in have the membrane removed. What is confusing for some is that there are 2 memebranes. After the heavier one is removed there is a very light one left, that is virtually impossible to remove. I think that is what is frustrating for some. The BB's in the styrofoam packages are the ribs that they bone off the loin at the store. The St. Louis ribs at Costco do not have the heavier membrane removed. Take it from an old retired butcher.

Comment

• Timbo54
          Timbo54 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree , the Costco's here in the Sacramento area have the membrane removed from the baby backs and the St. Louis have not. I love Costco and the variety from one store to another. My wife and I recently went to N. Montana and visited most of the Costco's along the way. Funny she kept telling me we couldn't buy anything more because we didn't have room. Well guess what? Full size truck , crew cab and I found more space.

IMO it's really not noticeable either way when they're cooked so very rarely bother. Certainly does not make or break a rack of ribs, they're either good or they're not, and the membrane has little to nothing to do with it. For what it's worth, Franklin BBQ doesn't remove theirs and they're widely considered to be a very high level of BBQ...not saying they're the be all end all of BBQ for all time, and of course opinions vary but I don't think it can be denied that regardless of your personal preference they know what they're doing down there so if it's good enough for them, it's sure as shit good enough for me. No one's lining up at 6 am for my ribs yet so I feel like I'm fine leaving it on.

Comment

• wrgilb
          wrgilb commented
          Editing a comment
          If you're cooking low & slow 225-250, the membrane will breakdown on it's own. If you're doing turbo 325-350, I find it better to remove the membrane, because it doesn't breakdown on a fast cook.

Sssoooo...bought some baby back ribs at Costco today. It’s been a couple years since the last time i bought ribs here. Guess what? NO membrane! Made prep super easy and fast!

Comment

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought 4 racks of Smithfield baby backs from HEB. All had a membrane. I like to remove it so the rub penetrates all the meat. Smoked them for 7 hrs. in my stick burner @ 225-235. Came out great.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here