Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker temp dipped...food still safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker temp dipped...food still safe?

Hi Guys,

I did an overnight cook last night. It's a 5 lb pork butt. At 5am, the meat was in the 170s. When I woke again at 8, both the meat and the pit were in the low 150s. I've added new coals and the meat is back up to 169 now. I'm imagining I'm okeay since it didn't get down below 140, but when I touched the bark, it didn't feel particularly warm, so thought I'd ask some more experienced smokers.

Thanks ahead!

Very short timeframe, temps within safe range...I'd say yer good to go...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm Smoke On - Large - 1024x1448.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	612039

Comment

Especially given the meat got into the 170’s so it should be well past the danger point, I would say no problem with the fairly short drop. Cook on!

Comment

It’s probably OK. And here is my thinking process.

1. Internal temperature got to 170, in the "safe" zone.
        2. Cooker temperature fell to 150, so the meat couldn’t have fallen lower than that
        3. Since the cooker was operating at normal temperature (I’m assuming 225-250) it is unlikely any nasty bugs were able to make their way in, and whatever nasties that may have been in the cooker got scorched

The only thing is that the meat might be drier than usual, because of the double cook.

At least that is my thinking. Let’s see who else chimes in.

Comment

Not a problem at all. Smoke on!

Comment

Thanks, Gents! Very much appreciated!

Yep, most of the cook was 220-250. It spiked to 270 after I added fuel a little while ago (turned one of my vents the wrong way, but now that's fixed, temp is dropping again, and it's around 260 now. Meat's up to 182, and I think I''m just about out of the stall.

@Mr.Bones, I love that graphic!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks fer them kind words, an best of luck with yer cook, amigo!

I'm honoured that ya enjoyed my artwork!

Then you always have a recommendation I gave to a fellow member. Is there a neighbor you don’t get along with or a brother in-law you’re on the outs with.

Comment

I've said ths before, but it's worth repeating. If you are worried about food safety, let you mother in law try it. If she doesn't get sick, it's good to go.

Comment

Temperature danger zone is 41-135, you can hold above that no problem. If it's long enough, you pasteurize the meat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here