Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon! One piece is maple bourbon and the other is Meathead's favorite maple.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, definitely refrigerate before you slice it all up. Cutting a bite or three when fresh off the smoker is also a good way to go

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      After it is out of the smoker, does it need to be fried? Or it's done and as is. It looks totally awesome... I have to try sometime soon.

• Zman23
      Zman23 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is smoked to 160 so it can be eaten as is. Pan frying makes it better bacon though!

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good!

• Mitchl
      Mitchl commented
      Editing a comment
      Ohhh.

Those burt sectiom on that poi t going the beans from yesterday....yummy

Comment

Brisket on the Propane Smoker with crispy roasted baby Yukon Gold garlic-rosemary potatoes, but I neglected to photograph the spuds:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ProShot_20160703_210801-01.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	190167

Name:	ProShot_20160703_211610-01.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	190168

Comment

Comment

I smoked 12 racks of SLC ribs yesterday with half of them having only S&P and the other half with rub. These are what I called Texas ribs with only S&P and I also brush them with Apple & Brown Sugar with Habanero Rib Candy and some Apricot & Habanero Texas Pepper jelly Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	190325

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Ohh, man, those look GREAT!

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            That's just beautiful DWCowles !!

• Thom Emery
            Thom Emery commented
            Editing a comment
            Bought some of the Texas Pepper Jelly brown sugar rib candy
            Got a nice kick to it !

Trying to rest today.....

Comment

Smoked some pork chops for wife's work. She is contemplating not bringing them to work.
            Attached Files

Comment

So, the Berkshire ribs from Publican Quality Meats. Thin racks. Not what I associate with Berkshire, but a butcher who doesn't usually cut spares might butcher the cut, rather that do a good job butchering. That's on PQM. Shiners all down the short end. Had a real pain of a time removing the membrane on one rack. Got almost all of it though. Love my boning knife.

Two hours of dry brine, light on the salt to suit wife. 2 T of MMD per side of each rack. They took it with a splash of water. No problem with adhesion.

Perfect day for the Genesis. 75*, overcast and light breeze, was able to hold 225-235 really easily. Cooked until they did the bend test. Might need some remedial bend test study, but they cracked.

Took em off, Warp 10 on the left of the grill, sear burner on. Dome temp reading 600 something. A light coat of Lillie Q smoky (I am gonna track down some Black Swan for my next bottle), sear for a couple minutes, and take em off.

Good ribs. Very good ribs. My takeaways:
            Don't use the hipster butcher.
            I am more of a dry rib with vinegar mop guy. Then let the wife sauce them.
            Last meal ribs are the truth.
            Attached Files

Comment

• cosmo
              cosmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Chicago REPRESENT!

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              For the last 8 years, Chicago has been my home and I love it.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Those must be the "beef back ribs of pork spare ribs" aka more bone than meat......

How about some ribs and smoked mac and cheese

Comment

She who must be loved loves her some filet. I suspect it's the tenderness versus what she grew up with, but might be portions. Any rate, 2.5 hours at 129F with the Nomiku WiFi, lightly salted, peppered, garlic powdered and cheap regular olive oil, then seared on the Genesis, flipping frequently.

Wife loved it. I liked it more than I usually like tenderloin.
              Attached Files

Comment

• CapeMay
                CapeMay commented
                Editing a comment
                From the sv bag I pat them with a paper towel. Drop them in a super hot skillet for 1 min, turn, add the bag juice along with two T's butter & fresh thyme basting for 1 min. Remove, season, & plate. Spoon more butter from the pan if desired. I think this is a fast, easy, & delicious tenderloin.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I do that, too. I was thinking about something I saw today, about heating my cast iron (when it gets here... production delay from Field) and pan and into the oven under the broiler. 1 minute should produce an ungodly perfect sear on both sides. Or 1 min and flip and 30 seconds.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                CapeMay, If you aren't doing the heat of the bag juice to coagulate the albumin before using it, you might be making a cloudier, less awesome sauce than you might otherwise be making. A quick microwaving of the bag juice, than a run through a coffee filter in a strainer, and you have the pure gold.

My version of a brisket burger Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	190996
              Last edited by DWCowles; July 5, 2016, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I wrap the brisket when it reach 180 and I was wanting to put jalapenos on it but I didn't have any Jerod Broussard also this was some leftover brisket from Sunday's cook that I warm up in the oven.
                Last edited by DWCowles; July 5, 2016, 10:36 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                I rarely eat lettuce on my burgers since we typically don't have any, but man for some reason lettuce amps up a burger 10 fold.

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod Broussard I made another brisket sammich last night on a bun with only MH's glop and only 4-5 sliced Jalapenos on it....DELICIOUS
                Last edited by DWCowles; July 7, 2016, 01:01 PM.

Howdy Meathead Maniacs!

So as many of you know, I was planning on a Simple 4th of July Cook. I wasn't entertaining a big group of folks as I've done for years. I was just having my brothers over to drink a little beer, grill some dogs, burgers, and sausages, eat a few chips, and watch a little baseball, etc. Well, here is the result of a "Simple 4th of July!" I knew I was in trouble and the best laid plans of mice and CC were shot to hades when I walked out of Sam's Club with over $200 in food and beverage!

Here is the table with the appiteasers on it.

Here is TheBeast getting loaded up for his time to shine! I spiral cut jalapeño and cheese sausage, and Oscar Mayer hot dogs (what else? ) My brother loves spiral cut ever since I introduced him to them.

Next up on the grate was the burgers. Gotta stage this cook ...

Here is a money shot that is just a couple of simple dogs, some German potato salad made by my brother who lives just around the corner and an ear of corn.

That's all the money shot. However, I guess my house is now known as BBQ Central as all of a sudden, my neighbors show up carrying burgers, buns, and beer, and they just came in and sat down! At the end of it all there were about 30 folks here. It looked like the swarm of locusts of Biblical proportions eating at my table! A great time was had by all.

Just a great 4th of July here at ChezChef! I hope your 4th was as much fun as was mine!

Comment

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang......Whoh......Oh Yeah........

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Locusts??? "Let my BBQ Go!!!" Any picture containing one of those pits is a MONEY shot.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Pork sausage must have had Pete on strike again.

So this happened yesterday, and it was teh awesome. Five racks of baby backs on a 22" kettle with SnS. Oh YEAH!

If you try this make sure to flip the ribs top to bottom every hour so they cook evenly.

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	191627

Name:	IMG_2597.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	191626

Comment

• CeramicChef
                CeramicChef commented
                Editing a comment
                Nicely done! I've always liked that rolling technique to get a lot of ribs on a space limited grate. Kudos!

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                No pics DWCowles. I really hadn't meant this cook to turn into a photo shoot but they looked so good I sneaked in a few pics.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                And I didn't slice them. I just cut em up into 3 partial slabs. Knife was dull so the bark ripped off a bit (not my knife). They ate good, but wouldn't have won any BBQ competitions on appearance

About to SV some sausage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here