Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel room cookery.... Oxtail over rice!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard dude I eat rice everyday when I'm on the road. I love rice! I'll take rice and scrambled eggs over any meal.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 HAHAHA! Oops!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest you are the official ROAD KING COOKER of The Pit!

Caribbean jerk style drumsticks

Comment

Been a while, nother round tomorrow or tomorrow night...or both.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        It's amazing to me how much meat can be crammed into a Pit Barrel.

Weeknight dinner. Pork loin cooked on the Smokey Joe with an apple chunk. Roasted red skins and salad. I am very happy with how the pork came out - very tender and juicy with good smoke flavor and good color with a reverse sear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	148813 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	148814

Comment

Tourney Day! I Took Friday off work and had a few people over to watch the games. The first round of food was pita chips with a roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato and chipotle spread (it's consistency is like a slightly grainy mayonaise). With that we had a scratch-made veggie dip with veggies, of course. And most importantly: Buffalo wings! For 3/4 of the wings I used my homemade hot sauce combined with some melted butter. The other 1/4 I used my scratch-made KC sauce.

Name:	IMG_0424.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	149326 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	149325

Next up was chuckie sandwiches and chips/dip. This is where things got interesting. I used my 14.5" WSM for 2 chuckles. One was 4 pounds the other 3.5 pounds. I put the bigger one on the top rack as it's a bit hotter than the bottom rack. My plan was to have the water all evaporate within 1-2 hours and then run pretty hot, in the 250-270 range and wrap if I needed to speed up the end of the cook. After a couple of hours my cooking chamber probe was giving readings that were all over the place (I've been having problems with this probe for a while). So, I pulled this probe and replaced it with the one extra probe I had which was a meat probe. I don't clip the probe to a rack in the WSM, I just push it through the grommet so it is suspended between the 2 racks. Temps quickly spiked to 285 and it took me an hour to bring temps down to 270. The meat powered right through the stall and when it reached 205 I went to pull it. The chuck on the top rack was sweating and when I grabbed it with the tongs not only was it firm but I smudged the rub. It hadn't even developed bark yet and was quite clearly still in the stall! So, I took the meat probe that I was using as a cooking chamber probe and jammed it into the meat. My suspicions were confirmed. I had 1 chuck at 205 and the other at 162. This lead me to (wrongly it turns out) believe that my other meat probe was malfunctioning as well. I got the top chuck up to 175 internal and I decided to go for another peak (the bottom chuck was now at 210). Bark had set and when I peered at the chuck reading 210 it was very clear that it was probably at that temperature. So I pulled both, wrapped and went to cambro for 45 minutes. The 210 chuck was falling apart and it shredded really easily with bear claws. As for the 175 chuck bear claws were useless. I ended up pulling it by hand. Fortunately, the meat was tender enough so that it wasn't chewy. Both chucks had nice bark, they were moist and had the best smoke flavor I've yet achieved with beef. I am going to create a separate thread regarding how differently the 2 chucks cooked. After they were shredded I mixed 3/4 cup of my KC sauce with 3/4 cup of my J-1 sauce (both recipes are posted) and some chopped onions, bell pepper, poblano and mushrooms that I had foil packed with some olive oil and cooked in the oven until softened. Served on toasted ciabatta bread with a little bit of brown mustard these sandwiches wowed my guests (and me).

Here are the 2 chucks when they were slathered and rubbed. I am posting this pic so all can see how similar they were in size.

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	149327

Here is a pic of the chuck on the top rack when the one just below it was at 205:

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	149330

Here is the finished product:

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	149329 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	149328 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	149331

Late night we had a Chicago style deep dish pizza. Once the crust was pushed into the pan I added crumbled browned Bob Evans spicy sausage and crumbled pepperoni (I bought a 1 pound chunk and tossed it into the food processor). On top of that I layered sliced mozzarella (sliced is better in this application because it creates a flat surface for the sauce to go on top). The sauce was a big can of crushed tomatoes (that I tossed into a colander). In a small sauce pan I threw in a small can of tomato sauce and I added: salt, pepper, worchestershire, my hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano. I mixed the 2 together. This is what it looked like:

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	149332
        All in all it was a fun day that was only slightly marred by Michigan coming up a bit short in their game. But it was a good and entertaining game. They played well.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          A "few" people over....were they all NFL offensive linemen??

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          No. Just a few family members and a couple of friends.

• Juddlight
          Juddlight commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice choice of beers 👍

Jerk chicken on the SnS.

Name:	20160319_164822.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	149362
        Attached Files
        Last edited by josht138; March 19, 2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I so need to do some jerk chicken again. Over did it with the allspice last time.

Comment

Best jerk chicken to date! Thanks SnS!

Name:	DSC08310.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	149409

Comment

First time I've fired up the smoker in a couple of months. Only did a few spare ribs and a couple of small baby backs, but the result was amazing. Nothing quite like the smell of smoking meat in the early autumn evening ^_^
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Download; March 20, 2016, 01:13 AM.

Comment

The breakfast game was on point this morning. Toast toppings (bottom to top):

- Avocado
        - Pieces of bacon
        - Thin sliced tomato
        - Poached Eggs
        - Pepper
        - Chives

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmm... Nice breakfast bbqoaf

Good job on the poached eggs!

I've been using my SV circulator to do my poached eggs lately. It's a much easier method.😎

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead thanks! I will humbly proclaim to have perfected the art of egg poaching over many years of practice, it's my favourite way to cook an egg.

bbqoaf ...

I too made my poached eggs in a pot of boiling water, creating a whirlpool in the pot. It worked like a champ.

Then I read in the Modernist Cuisine books on Sous Vide cooking that I could produce dozens of poached eggs, with the shell on in 13 minutes. Just crack the egg shell and out comes a PERFECT poached egg.😆

And... You can cook them that way hours before you want to serve them. I had to give that a try.
        Attached Files

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds awesome and looks incredible, I think I am slowly going to be sucked into the SV world... This forum should get royalties from Anova!

Pan seared scallops
        Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job josht138 ...

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          You nailed those!!

bbqoaf ...

SV cooking makes everything easier. It makes lots of things much better than other methods of cooking. It allows you to plan your serving time much better and reduces stress.

I can't think of a single negative of SV cooking. Plus it is a great combination when finished on your grill.

Dive in... You will be glad you did.😉

Comment

josht138 I love scallops. Sear on a cast iron pan with some oil. I like to spoon some butter over the top while I am searing them. Such a great meal. Yours look amazing.

Comment

• josht138
            josht138 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup that's what I did! Thanks!

St. Louis Ribs. A variation on last meal ribs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here