Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix and alcohol accoutrements......meatballs!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Love fried meatballs to go in my spaghetti.

Outdoor Arroz con Pollo using the SnSClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9867.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	179651 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9870.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	179650 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9884.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	179649 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9880.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	179648 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9879.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	179646 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9889.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	179647
    Last edited by troymeister; June 12, 2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Rice, rice and more rice for me.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you cook the rice separately on the grill and then add it or did you cook it the "normal" way?

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      The normal way. Just added more stock as needed.

Tots w/cheese. Too lazy to cook a big meal.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes I prefer the simple pleasures in life. I love the jalapeno cheese corn dogs when I can find them.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Corn dogs are awesome, the mega greasy and crispy freshly deep fried ones at carnivals are my favourites.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Tot-chos!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	179905
    ^Steak and Taters on the Grill with burnt offering, cooked heart shaped for our silver anniversary ^

I dry-brined the ribeyes for about 6 hours with cherry smoked salt. I laid a single layer of Stubbs briquettes on the grate and then lit a chimney that was 1/3 leftover lump and 2/3 Stubbs. I followed the POTATOES ARE BEST ON THE GRILL recipe on page 358 of MEATHEAD. So I cut them in half and applied kosher salt and MMD in accordance with the directions. Just before I put the taters on the grill I noticed the marks I had made to mark bottom vent positions were way off. No wonder my fire management has been challenged. So I reset them to what was actually 3/4 BV and 1/2 TV and the potatoes went on at 4:31 pm. Just before the steaks went on I pressed in some Spices Inc. Pennsylvania Pepper (which is great btw) and put the steaks on the grill when the taters hit about 140. That ended up being way early. Next time I will wait until they hit 180. The potatoes hit 180 and I decided I had better stick a Thermopen in the beef. Sinfully neglected, the steaks' internal temperature was higher than I wanted I had to decide to leave them on and sear the potatoes early or pull them off and the reheat them later. I chose the former. So I drenched the potatoes in melted Kerry's Gold butter and set them cut side down over the SNS. By the time I laid the last one down (thank goodness for welding gloves!) it was time to flip the first potato. The crisped up almost instantly over the high heat. The steaks ended up hitting 155 on the indirect side before they were very briefly seared. They were still tender but far from my desired medium rare and lost some flavor. Luckily my wife likes her steaks well done so all was not lost. I finished my steak with a touch of herbed sea salt that we keep on the table (I am hunting for a really cool salt pig if you see one holler at me please). The taters were tender but firm. College boy decided the best part of the meal was the blackened portions of the taters, I did not necessarily disagree.

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	179906
    ^The finished product^

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	179907
    ^Very well done steak not done well^

Name:	IMG_1450.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	179908
    ^MMD on taters! Yes indeed!

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      CapeMay thank you!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on the cook, and on the GREAT marriage milestone!! 🎉🎉🎉🎂🍾

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Thunder77! BTW the thermopen helped tremendously with the taters

Comment

Tried something new tonight. Not that great.

Got 2 mongo strips. Brined one in our usual Montreal seasoning. On the other, I tried a new rub a friend gave me, an Old Fashion Coffe Rub for beef. Brined them for a few days, then sat them in sealed bags and gave them a 6 hr water bath @130*F, then over the SnS on warp speed for a nice sear.

My goal was to try to make the strips almost as tender as a filet. The water bath rendered out some juices, which knocked off some of the rubs. The strips came out VERY tender, but not so tasty. - a bit bland. The meat was not dry, but it was not juicy, either. Unless I did something wrong, likely the last time I'll try this. Did I let them in the bath too long?

Huskee , the coffe rub is not for me on steaks. Just not bold enough for my taste. I'll go back to Montreal on steaks.

Not a fail, but won't do it again, either.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm m not an expert on sous vide, but I'm a minimalist going into the bag. I season as I finish it in the pan or, on the plate if finished on the grill.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, CapeMay , and Potkettleblack , might give it one more shot. Very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, if it's lean, like grass fed, sometimes you get a bit of powdery feel to the meat. If I have a lean cut, I add a pat of butter to the bag.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm gonna roll back the < 6 hour recommendation. I talked to some folks, and some think 6 is the exact sweet spot. I've never gone to 6 with a tender cut, but that might work okay. Keep it simple in the bag, and do not discard the bag juices, as that's your liquid fond (w/ albumin... gross protein).

Had to have me some DUCK!

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Duck is amazing. I like duck breast medium, what temp do you take the legs to?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Sous vide at 155, 12 hours for legs, 135 degrees, 2 hours for breast.

Indoor Rack-a-lamb

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful! Dang, I'm hungry again.

My first chuckie. Served on ciabatta with havarti and lillie Q hot and smoky, plus corn on the cob and Ace Joker hard cider.

I see why people go on about chuck. I'm a believer.

Name:	Chuck 2.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	180486 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck 1.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	180485 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck 3.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	180487 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck 4.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	180488 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck 5.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	180489
        Last edited by Potkettleblack; June 13, 2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Chuck is really really good.

I've got a couple thick Ribeyes going on the Weber kettle: Montreal steak seasoning, Reverse sear with a stick of pecan.

Comment

Yesterdays brisket cook

Comment

Monday is Kathryn's Bacon Covered Smoked Meatloaf Night

I have been waiting to try out this recipe from our fellow Pitmaster, Kathryn fzxdoc for a while. I prepped the meat weeks ago and stuck it in the freezer. It is a combination of ground beef, ground pork, and ground bison. It was and is F A N T A S T I C!!! This is by far the best meatloaf I have ever tasted. You can taste that there is more than one meat in it but you cannot put your finger on what it is specifically. These three beasts combine to create a wonderful, meaty flavor. I am forever in your debt, Kathryn! You and the other Pitmasters on this site keep helping me become a better cook.

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	180612
        I made the meatloaf according to Kathryn's directions with the help of my lovely bride, who added ingredients when my hands were otherwise sunk into ground meat, mixing it by hand. We made a few adjustments as we did not have everything in the pantry that I thought we did. I switched S&G Rub for marjoram, added 3 extra eggs and skipped the milk, and only used 1.5 cups of bread crumbs. Additionally I used homemade thick cut bacon and just put a couple of pieces on each loaf.
        I put the meat loaves into the freezer to set and went out and started a chimney full of KBB. While that was getting going I prepped the squash. I cut it into big chunks and laid them uncovered in a foil boat. I added 3 TBS herbed butter and 1 TBS rendered duck fat (yum). Then I tossed on some Simon & Garfunkel Rub and sprinkled on some Cherry Smoked Sea Salt from SpicesInc.com.
        45 minutes later, having already emptied the chimney into the SlowNSear, I put two of the loaves on the grill. I put the third into the refrigerator. Time to hang out on the lanai with Leah.
        Here is the play by play on the cooking portion.
        Time Grate Temp Meat Temp Actions
        4:43 356
        5:21 350 118 Put the squash on the indirect side of the grill
        5:40 352 149
        5:55 358 162 Pulled it off the grill after rechecking internal temps
        6:02 412 54 Third loaf on
        7:15 358 160

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so happy that smoked meatloaf recipe turned out well for you, Marty martybartram . We like the meaty flavor that bison brings to the party, too.

That dinner plate photo looks great--I bet the food didn't last long after the photo was snapped!

Kathryn

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          No it didn't though I tried to pace myself

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice one, smoked meatloaf is great.

I need to stop looking at this post. I want to try smokin' just about everything I see...

Comment

Smoking pulled pork for a buddy of mine coming over tonight. Halved the Boston butt to get more bark.

Sous vide corn and some Cole slaw for sides

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here