Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A week and a day late. Flank steak stuffed with sauteed Vidalias, garlic, artichoke hearts, provolone cheese and spinach. FYI SWMBO likes her cheese and thus is in charge of the stuffing. Butcher's twine was nowhere to be found, so skewers were substituted.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Craigar; June 4, 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done flank steak roulade a handful of times. I can't figure out what temp to call them finished. At 135° they're still a bit chewy for me. How did you cook yours?

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
    OK, Medusa , your burgers looked so guuud, we had some 80/20 we needed to cook, so we stole your recipe.

GUUUUD

The onions kinda hid the burger, but a double thumbs up! Burgers were a bit loose, I might add a binder next time.
    Thanks richinlbrg. #1 has decreed that other than onions, no need to smother with other condiments. Glad you like the recipe. The batch in the picture went straight up, without the onions. ( I didn't even think about them until I looked up the post with the recipe - doh! )

Try flash freezing for 20-30 minutes unless you really want to add a binder. I guess it's the combo of dijon / worchester that makes them prone to falling apart. Still... Law!

-- Ed

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen, bro. I forgot about the extra chill. I'll go with that before trying a binder.

#1 raved about the burgers, but perhaps b/c in part she hasn't had 80/20 in a while!

Started a chuck roast on the KBQ about an hour ago. Going to let it go for 2 hours then bag it to cook for 3 days in the hot tub time machine for pulled beef. More pics to come.
    Attached Files

Comment

About to come to a boil, then it can live in the oven @175 for a few hours. Any leftovers will be introduced to spiral-cut hotdogs - Bwwaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chili_060516.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	176622

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard, if I remember correctly, tomorrow is your darn Burger Monday - LOL!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, thanks for the reminder. Spaghetti wasn't too bad.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely love soups of that nature. Well done!

Cheesecake with Cinnamon Toast Crunch topping.
      Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Homemade cheese cake? Looks delish.

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy crap, that looks great!

When the bacon was done smoking (pics later) I adjusted the vents and on went the chops I cut from a loin and dry brined for 24 hours. A smidge of EVO and the S&G went on. The pine able and squashed joined the pork when it was time to sear. Power has been out for four hours-blown transformer and subsequent fire up the road-so the DC Mumbo sauce was heated on the grill.

Comment

Back on the road.... AGAIN!!

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          I figured, Ernest , I figured.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest ,

Are you willing to share your recipe for what looks like spinach? ALSO, what is under your salmon?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          richinlbrg scrambled eggs under salmon.

richinlbrg that's kale. I sautee some mushrooms, when brown, add sliced garlic, onions and Fresno peppers. Season with salt and pepper, then add chopped dinosaur kale, cook until tender but not too wilted. Shooting for warm salad. Dress with some olive oil, a touch of lemon juice and toasted pine nuts for crunch.
        Should take about 10 minutes to hit the plate.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          THANK YOU, Ernest !

We actually like kale, so this will be in our plates soon!

Peruvian Style Rotisserie Chicken (Pollo ala Brasa) on the gasser. I used the Maverick rotisserie thermometer set up I posted pics of several days ago. Here are some in action. It worked perfectly:

Name:	ProShot_20160605_194752-01.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	176842
        Her it's just about done. You can see the 2 Mav probes here. Next time I will turn the chicken around to make probe placement in the thigh easier.

Name:	ProShot_20160605_200304-01.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	176843
        Here's the bird cut into 2 halves before serving

Here is the send unit of the Mav attached to the handle of the spit rod in use.

Name:	ProShot_20160605_194723-01-01.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	176844

Comment

We had friends over yesterday night. They brought their 9 year old son with them. A couple of pies in the kettle pizza, smoked chuckie sammies, baked beans and salad. I wanted to cook the beans and the onions/peppers/mushrooms in the cast iron wok in the kettle via Weber's gourmet BBQ system, but it was raining by then so I had to go with the cast iron skillet and the oven.

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	176849

Their boy loved the pizza so much he walked up to me and said this:

"Mr. J, this pizza was SO good! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!"

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	176850

This is what the chuck roast looked like after it was pulled. I cooked it in the 26 with the SnS. I got about 8 hours out of the original batch of coals (I added a fist-sized chunk of hickory at the beginning of the cook). I fiddled with the vents probably 4 times over the first hour and a half and after that it settled into a 240-270 range. At the 8 hour mark when the coals were dying I added about 15 Kingsford Competition coals and wrapped. The chuck never got over 203 but it spent probably 2 hours above 180 and that was enough to make it hand-pull tender.

I sauteed onion, red pepper and mushrooms in the cast iron and added them plus 1/4 cup of my J-1 sauce plus 1/4 cup of my KC sauce, covered and cooked at 375 for about 20 minutes so everything could marry. This is what it looked like:

Name:	IMG_0567.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	176852

it was served on sourdough bread with a bit of brown mustard and a slice of provolone.

In the cast iron skillet I sautéed 5 slices of thick cut, double smoked bacon (cut into bite-sized chunks) with a chopped onion. I added 2 large cans of baked beans (drained but not rinsed) and a half cup of my KC sauce and a half cup of my W. Carolina sauce. We also had a salad that we picked up carry-out from a local pizza joint. Here are the beans (they were cooked in the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes at 375):

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	176851

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice cook!👍

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Got any left? Can I come over for breakfast?

Chicken legs with a new thingmajig. The princess brought home 10 legs weighing 5.08 lbs. I'm not sure what they are feeding chickens these days, but if you were buying shrimp they would be in the 2-3 category.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead I just noticed the new price on Amazon at $21.87, I only paid $10.44 so I don't know WTH is going on with the prices. It is definitely worth $10, but I'm not too sure about $20.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I've noticed the prices fluctuating on Amazon recently. I'll wait them out until it gets closer to $10.

Thanks for the link.👍

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            You are welcome! This thing is a space saver, especially when you are planning to cook a bunch of thighs and legs. This time we just went with legs. To give you an idea of how big that thing is, my grill is a 26 and the legs averaged half a pound.

Had a good pork cook, injected, spritzed, and wrapped.

Comment

28 day dry aged prime strip steak. I took a few pics side by side with a choice strip steak I picked up at the grocery store for the wife and kid. Note that the strip from the grocery store was on sale for $9/lb, but the prime strip was $35/lb from the butcher. This is the first time I can ever remember eating a dry aged steak. It was much better than the grocery store steak, as it was much more tender and flavorful, but not sure if it's worth 4 times the price.

Cooked them sous vide for about 1.5 to 2 hrs at 129 and seared using the SnS on my kettle.

Name:	20160605_153723.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	176941

Name:	20160605_174914.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	176942

Name:	20160605_175121.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	176943

Comment

• josht138
              josht138 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! When you have 2 screaming kids and you are just trying to enjoy your $30 steak, sometimes you can only snap a quick pic with your phone and you forget about dirty forks.

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              That steak looks pretty perfectly cooked, nice one.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what is known as a perfectly cooked steak. Nicely done!

josht138 ...

Nice cook. Great pictures.

Today I bought 6lbs of New York USDA Prime strip steaks at Costco for $14.99 per pound. Did that butcher give you a hug and a kiss when you paid your money? He should have.😡

Charging you $20 per pound for storing the steaks for 28 days is VERY, VERY margin friendly for him.😎

Comment

After a weekend of over-eating and over-drinking in Yountville to celebrate my father-in-law's 85th birthday (and my 63rd), we didn't feel like a big dinner, so I made a simple salad and some tuna salad. But the side dish was my first attempt at pickled watermelon rind. I made it with the chamber vac using the flash pickling technique. Brine was water, sugar, vinegar and salt.

Name:	watermelon-rind.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	177218

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here