Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 lb pork butt with a Vitamin R

Comment

Need no teef to eat this beef.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cooked a small loin and a slc rack of spares. I did not wrap or sauce this time. Really wanted to taste the rub, I needed more and the ribs would have been better wrapped but still good.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delish. I never wrap spares. How are they better wrapped? Serious question.

• MObbqJLH
        MObbqJLH commented
        Editing a comment
        They are more tender and juicy I think. Cook faster.

I had some technical problems on my end with this site and at that time I was already behind posting pics. So, I am going to catch up now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	174190

Name:	IMG_0527.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	174191

Name:	IMG_0531.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	174192

Name:	IMG_0530.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	174193

Comment

My wife's parents live in a very large condo on a small lake. It's a Cape Cod style home. We tend to hand out downstairs but tend to eat upstairs during the colder months. In the garage they have a Weber Genesis and a Weber 22 kettle. On the deck on the lower level they have a WeberQ. Since it has finally gotten warm here in Michigan we cooked and ate in the lower level last weekend - burgers on the Q:

Name:	IMG_0534.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	174201

Comment

Ribs came out perfect
          Attached Files

Comment

Over Memorial Day weekend we went up to my parents' vacation place in Boyne City on beautiful Lake Charlevoix. Given its portability I brought the 14.5 WSM and we cooked a couple of slabs of SLC ribs (but in half and then Tetris onto the 2 small racks). They turned out pretty well but were a bit over-cooked. Basically the 2 halves on the bottom rack took FOREVER to develop bark and by the time they did and some sauce had glazed they were "fall off the bone" or pretty close to it. That pertained to half of the ribs and even slightly over-done they were still good but my last batch of ribs were better. Anyhow, here they are at various stages of the cook:

Name:	IMG_0548.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	174219 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	174220 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	174221 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	174222

Comment

For Sunday my mom wanted a "simple" and "easy" dinner. It didn't quite turn out that way. This was the venue:
            Surf/turf - grilled steak and shrimp + roasted/grilled red skins plus bruschetta. That is NOT a "simple/easy" dinner when cooking for 9. Then my brother decided we needed broccoli and salad to boot - we threw in 2 bottles of Brunello di Montalcino that were divine!. Anyhow, this was a really interesting dinner for reasons I will get into in a moment.

There were 9 of us. My mom had a pound of frozen 26/30 shrimp she wanted me to cook. Then she added steak to the wish list. I said, "ok" and added oven-roased red-skins (keeping it easy) and bruschetta.

It was threatening rain and I was going to cook everything in the Weber gasser. But then I had a thought..... Thanks to our Kamado-crew and a couple of others....I REALLY wanted to cook the steaks over charcoal. I had these steaks specially-cut. They were 1.5" thick New York Strip. 8 of us were going to split 4 of these behemoths. What was really nice was that we had 4 who wanted medium and 4 who wanted medium rare (my youngest had a pork chop). So, my only charcoal rig was the 14.5 WSM. So, why not cook '2-zone' the way our Kamado-friends do it - vertically? So, I filled a compact chimney and ignited it 3/4 and then poured it into the ring. I put the steaks on the top rack and removed the bowl - indirect cooking from a distance - 2-zone. This technique is something the Kamado-crew swears by! The steaks were dry-brined of course. I hit them with a bit of oil and then some cracked pepper and garlic powder. That side went down in the cooker and the top was brushed with my J-1 sauce. That was it. Once they hit about 115 (a little higher for the medium steaks) they were moved to the lower rack and seared.

In the meantime, my mom and my brother were preparing much of the rest of the dinner. They aren't intuitive cooks but they do follow directions very well. My brother wanted broccoli grilled/roasted. So, I explained the process of par-boiling-to- an ice-water bath...and then going onto the cookie sheet and baking (steaming mostly as the florets retain a LOT of water during this process). It then went into the oven with the red skins. The red skins got tender before developing color so I was running up and down the stairs - managing the steaks and barking instructions - they flipped the broiler on a for a couple of minutes and got nice color on the red skins and the broccoli.

We also had bruschetta I cut up some tomatoes Put them into a strainer, hit them with some kosher salt and let them drain. Then we finely diced some red onion and steeped it into fresh squeezed lime juice. After a half hour the lime juice was strained out and the onion was added. We then cut fresh parmesan into small round and added them. Then 4 garlic cloves were run through a press and sautéed for a minute in 2 TB of olive oil. Once cooled, this was added to the mix. It was topped with fresh basil. We cut a baguette into rounds, lightly brushed it with olive oil and that was the basis of the bruschetta. We also foil-packed some mushrooms with some onion and had a salad.

Everything turned out border-line perfect. I received great help. I proclaimed at the time that this was the best dinner I've had in at least a year.

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	174239 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	174238 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	174237

Name:	IMG_0559.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	174236

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that's what I'm talking about!

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a great dinner.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Lookin good!

Smoked a 4lb brisket flat on Memorial Day. Dry salt brine for 24 hours, and Big Bad Beef Rub just before I put it on the grill. Smoked it for about 3h30m until it hit 150, then did the Texas crutch until it hit 203. Sat in a faux cambro for 3 hours after that. Served with garlic mashed potatoes and cornbread. Followed all the recipes here, and it all turned out great! Next time I'll try to get the point or the whole packer.

Just as it hit 150:

Searing it after coming out of the faux cambro:

First cut:

Lots of au jus:

Finished with a bit of Texas Mop Sauce:

Used both probes on the Maverick ET-733 to monitor the grill and the meat, probes routed through the exhaust vents:

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Neat cooking on that thing.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Always love seeing the PK in action!

Tri-tip, cooked SV for 8 hours at 131F then seared with a torch.

Name:	tri-tip-5-31.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	174425

Comment

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              That's purdee! Did you season it prior to putting it in the hot tub or was it neckid hot tub and dressed afterwards?

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              That there is a work of art!

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              I had seasoned it before freezing, but my wife has lately requested that I cook things without seasoning. So after taking it out of the freezer I brushed as much seasoning off as I could before resealing and putting in the bath.

7 pound ham from the heirloom whole hog bought late last year. Fat trimmed, Memphis dusted, on the Big Poppa ugly barrel smoker. Threw the pork chops on just in case my timing was off on the ham.
            Attached Files

Comment

• BigEnchilada
              BigEnchilada commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqoaf: I find the meat to be "porkier". And it is nice to work with the farmer and see how they're raising the animals. That's less mystery about what goes into the meat.

• BigEnchilada
              BigEnchilada commented
              Editing a comment
              jgjeske1: Cured at home, using Meathead's cure recipe posted here. Simple, if you have the space in the fridge. Or a nice walk-in cooler. . .

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice! Have to try that!

After the weekend pork loin, pork rib, chicken BBQ nachos
            Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that avocado on top?

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes indeed

Half success half not so great. The BBQ spirits smiled on my pulled pork, but turned away while I was cooking the steaks! They weren't horrible, just not great. I was pulling the pork and the wife comes in. "Ooh what's that? Can I eat it?" My daughter comes in and says, "what's that?" My wife:"It's meat and it's good!" They chowed down, and finished off all my BBQ sauce too!
            Last edited by Thunder77; May 31, 2016, 08:41 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Your pulled pork looks great and so does the bark. Did you use MMD for your rub?

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              fuzzydaddy, I sure did use MMD!

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing more rewarding that family pleasin' food!

Leftover smoked and pulled chuckie made a great taco salad. All I did was add a little salsa to keep it moist, and heat it through.

Name:	A07Y3878.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	174612

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice presentation! Looks delicious. I love pulled chuckie.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              That is excellent presentation.

A little kale and beef salad

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here