Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix accoutrements....

Comment

Here's my first outing with a Smokenator & country style ribs. I followed Meathead's instructions for pork chops. Dry brined for 5 hours and started cooking when the grill hit 230 degrees as monitored with a Mavrick 733. Cooking was done on a 26" Weber kettle with Kingsford blue bag briquetts and 1 applewood chunk. The ribs were flipped every 20 minutes and basted with Panama Gold sauce at each flip. I Removed the ribs from the grill after an hour of cooking time, when the internal temp was 140-143 as recorded by a Thermopop (yellow). In the end the flavor was good but that one chunk of applewood was a bit much for my taste. Maybe a smaller piece the next time. The meat was tender but still too pink near the bone. I have to say I do LOVE the flavor of that Panama Gold!!! The corn was Meathead's again...right out of his e mail today. Cooked on a Weber genesis silver. Loved the flavors of the taragon and butter but wound up adding salt at the table, just to give 'em a kick. If anyone has an opinion about or experience with getting the internal temp temp or time correct so these ribs cook evenly to the bone, I'd be eternally gratefull, Cheers!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160513_173219483_HDR.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	167567 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160513_173300382.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	167568

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to let country ribs strips get anywhere from 160-180....yep it's past well done but they're fatty enough they can handle it.

• CarlP3
        CarlP3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, Thanks for the 160-180 tip. I've over-cooked pork so many times that I'm a little gun shy now. 2:51 AM, that's hard core man, Thanks Again!!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Love me some country style. I take them dudes to 200, sauce and let cook a bit longer.

Originally posted by CarlP3 View Post
      as recorded by a Thermopop (yellow)
      We love our tools! I refer to my 22" Copper Weber Kettle the same way...gotta include the color!

Comment

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like the ALL SWIM down at the local pool on a hot day! Parents up top telling the kids they're gonna die if they splash Mom/Dad one more time and the kids at the bottom plotting a water fight next to the parents!

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          CeramicChef you're speaking from firsthand experience HAHAHA

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          +1^ Been there, done that, got the spanking when Mom's hair got wet! It was worth it!

Hot wings, custom sauce concoction.
        Attached Files

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          What's in your sauce? Or will you have to kill us if you tell?

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Never mind, I see the recipe below, sounds tasty.

• SteveFromLafayette
          SteveFromLafayette commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks bbqoaf

King Ranch Chicken casserole for one. Made with last night's leftover "branding iron" chicken as Jerod called it. Apologies Jerod I was a little pissy this morning, my bad. Dem grill grates do gets hot!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	167886

Comment

• Iron Bulldog
          Iron Bulldog commented
          Editing a comment
          Skin was torched. Underestimated how effective those damn things are. Bird was still good.

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          I LOVE King Ranch Chicken Casserole! Looks very tasty.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          GrillGrates don't play with any marinated epithelial surface.

Originally posted by SteveFromLafayette View Post
        Hot wings, custom sauce concoction.
        Oh man, please post some pictures of the finished product! After a good ribeye wings are probably next on my list of favorite foods. Any chance of you posting your sauce recipe?

Comment

We ate pretty good tonight. Reverse seared ribeye steak... maybe we should call it a roast it was so big... cooked on a kettle/SnS combo.

Name:	IMG_2088.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	167910

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	167909

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks gents! bbqoaf you got a real lol on that one.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I could die happy after eating that!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            There was definitely a meat coma associated with this meal.

Name:	20160514_192940.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	167920 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_193418.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	167921 Pork butt smoked on Yoder Durango. Wrapped at 190 and faux cambro'd for 3 hours. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_192828.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	167919

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Yummy!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautimous!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, very nice. Good cook!

Tri-tip with baked potatoes!

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            @jgjexke1 I used to make my own, but McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning is so close to it that I just use that now and sometimes augment it. It should go without saying that I dry-brine for up to 24hrs when I can. Thankfully McCormick has a low-salt version.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            boftx , do you dry nine in advance of applying the Montreal, or just apply the Montreal a day in advance?

GREAT looking cook!

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually dry-brine first, then put the rub on while wait for the smoker to come up to temp.

@ribeyeguy

I would, but we ate them already!

My recipe is short and simple,

2 cups Frank's
          1/6th cup vegetable oil
          1 shot glass of A1 steak sauce
          1 tsp garlic powder
          1 tsp cracked black pepper
          1 tsp table sugar

Put everything in a blender and blend on a low speed.
          Don't simmer on the stove, too much water evaporates and over concentrates the flavors. Store at room temperature until ready to use. Don't refrigerate, cold sauce on hot chicken is a disgrace!

Comment

Saturday Night's SnS..... Asparagus picked this morning from the garden. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9813.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	167983 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9806.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	167984 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9820.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	167985 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9822.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	167986 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9826.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	167987 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9814.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	167988 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9832 (1).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	167989 Oh Yeah....

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I third the "Oh yeah"

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Fourth!!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang! Doesn't get much better than that!

Just started raining, love a humid cook. 8.87 down to 7 lb Choice. Gonna run 225. Just barely had enough BBBR 1.0 & 2.0 to dust her down.

Got apple and cherry chunks, and enough cherry chips to get me voted "cherry chip user of the century."
            Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard You just might wake up in the morning with a semi park in your driveway 😎

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              remind me again what BBBR 2.0 is?

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I think I upped the sugar content using Sugar in the Raw.

Smoked my Canadian Bacon tonight with cherry wood and used the post bacon coals to sear off my Vietnamese style lemongrass marinated thin sliced ribeye. Served with salad, rice and Steamwhistle Pilsner, great Saturday feast!

Lemongrass marinade recipe: http://honestcooking.com/vietnamese-...served-3-ways/

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Not as rare as I would like, but looks good!

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great bbqoaf

• CapeMay
              CapeMay commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you give an overview on the Canadian bacon please? I've tried once and failed.

CapeMay sure, happy to help. What went wrong with your attempt?

I followed MH's brine amount and meat quantity to a T with the only change being that I ran out of garlic powder as I was making it so I used half garlic and half onion powder instead. I bought a whole pork loin on sale, cut the required amount for the bacon and trimmed the fat cap aggressively prior to soaking so that there was only a very small amount of surface fat left. I used a bag to brine it for two weeks and squeezed as much air out of the bag as possible so that the loin was fully submerged in the liquid the entire time. I shook it a few times during the curing period to mix it around and make sure it was evenly soaked.

When I took it out of the brine, I rinsed it thoroughly in water as MH recommends and put it fat side down on the indirect side of a hot kettle (Mav read 350). I used a chunk of cherry wood for smoke and it took just over an hour to get to 150 IT. At that point, I did a quick sear on both sides over the coals and let it rest for about 10 minutes or so before slicing it up.

That's it, it was outstanding, my wife and I both loved it and I have lots leftover for sangers this week and bennies this AM (will post photos of the bennies when they are ready, my wife was up feeding our week old baby all night and so is still asleep as I catch up on work this morning).

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              We ended up just doing poached eggs on toast with cheese, Fresno peppers and back bacon so I didn't take any pics, darn tasty though.

• CapeMay
              CapeMay commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks very much. I don't really know where I went wrong. It tasted way too salty and it seemed dry with little flavor.

I thought I followed the brining carefully and washed it well. I should give it another try. Thank you again.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here