Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SnS arrived yesterday. I had planned to do something this weekend but couldn't wait. Picked up a 2.8lb cowboy steak after work and fed the whole family.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks guuuuuuud!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      The SnS was made for a Cowboy cook.😎

Great maiden cook Zman23 ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0373.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	152644 First attempt at a fresh pork shoulder ( a 10 1/2 hr. cook) it has room for improvement but tastes good I did it for a roast not pulled pork & coated it with Meathead's Memphis Dust just to see what would happen.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice...😎👍

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that bark

Did a brisket (flat) yesterday. This time with mustard and a beef rub, instead of a plain dalmatian rub. Turned out just fantastic. Don't think I can improve this one anymore. Cooked on my BGE (as a friend borrowed my kettle...)

The rub applied (this is a BIG plate)

Name:	IMG_6640.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	153272

The finished product

Name:	IMG_6644.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	153270

And the awesome smoke ring

Name:	IMG_6650.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	153271

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking brisket Henrik

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, beautimous!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Must have had a very uniform pit temp and air flow. The coloration of the smoke ring is very consistent top to bottom. Sometimes in my Pit Barrel I get shades of blue and purple mixed in with peaks and valleys.

Doing the stuffed chicken again, DWCowles

I'm using someone else's grill though, ugh! Better than in the oven though, amirite?

That's another gear grind for me, Huskee

Lastly, the last photo is yours truly as a kid. 😎
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Great food. Great post!

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I might do that next weekend as long as I'm not watching a ballgame 😊

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!

I did some SLC ribs on my offset. Dry brined for 24 hours, rubbed with Memphis Dust and refrigerated overnight. Smoked at 225 for 5-6 hours using Texas Crutch. And finished with the Kansas City Sauce recipe.

Comment

Pit Barrel Tri-tip USDA Choice from Costco:
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      I love ribeye, but nothing says BEEF Flavor like Tri-Tip.

• ribeyeguy
      ribeyeguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Never had a tri-tip, they're not easy to come by here in Wisconsin. I'm going to have to talk to my butcher, it looks amazing!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I asked the DW what I should do differently next time (expecting something like "serve with ketchup, stupid!" )... but instead got "cook two next time!". That's a home run in this household ...

Smoked then braised Jamaican style Oxtail Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	153571 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	153572 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	153573 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	153574

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Onions, Garlic, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, Scallions, Scotch Bonnet Pepper,
      Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Allspice, Browning sauce, a little tomato paste,
      2 cans butter beans with liquid. I add the liquid early and the beans last.
      I can post more exact method later.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      troymeister you sir did it!! Oxtail is my favorite part of the cow!!

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest Thank You.. Locally sourced cow. $3.00 for a whole tail at a local small custom processing store. Quite delicious.

For dessert.....Red Velvet... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	153577 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1409.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	153578 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	153579 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	153580
    Last edited by troymeister; April 3, 2016, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Nice lighting on these pics. While in college a roommate and I saw a guy wearing a red velvet colored suit. 20 or so minutes later we walked out of wal-mart with a red velvet cake.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Red Velvet cake...I just had two Red Velvet cupcakes about an hour ago

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice... That's a good looking pulled pork sandwich. Got to have the slaw.👍

I'm putting the auber and the SnS to the test today. I just put a chuck roast on. Currently have steady winds of 25 mph+ here in South Eastern Pa. Winds gust hitting 60 mp and its about 30 degrees out.

Ive been holding 225 steady though so far. I'll post pics later.

Here's the roast at 155. Click image for larger version

Name:	chuckroast.JPG
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	153667
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bpf120; April 3, 2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

This is my first ever attempt to make summer sausage, and I've thrown on a few bratwurst for good measure.

Name:	DSCN0030.JPG
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	153661

Comment

• ribeyeguy
        ribeyeguy commented
        Editing a comment
        How did they turn out?

• MattTheGR8
        MattTheGR8 commented
        Editing a comment
        The smoke flavor was good, but the seasoning needs a lot of improvement. They were a decent start, but I have a lot of work to do.

Yesterday (2 Apr 2016) after checking on the recipe thread under PORKnography called "Question about country-style ribs" (on AR AKA "Jacks ribs"), I grilled a batch of these using the America's Test Kitchen recipe I mentioned. Essentially, the recipe calls for boning then pounding the meat into 3/4 inch thick cutlets then brining then drying then dry rubbing then heating indirectly under cover to an internal temp of 125F (5 or so minutes with one flip) then slathering and directly grilling (with one flip) to an internal temp of at least 145F then loosely tent. I did all that. Picture attached.

Some observations:
      1. these really did cook more like cutlets or medallions than chops so watch the temp more than the time or you'll end up with dry meat;
      2. even with all the marbling in this cut, there were remarkably few flareups, probably because of the indirect heating which reduced the time needed over the direct heat to reach 145F;
      3. Thermopen worked like a champ by allowing me to check all dozen or so pieces one after the other so NOT ONE ended up overcooked or undercooked;
      4. in addition to tongs, a spatula will be needed in the direct heat, slather phase if your slather stuff is sticky (like my wife wanted me to use as this is the first time we've done this recipe, and she didn't want to experiment yet - NEXT time) because the meat is so tender that using just the tongs may cause the cutlets to pull apart (remember, this cut has light and dark meat so the grain goes at least two different ways);
      5. I am glad I kept my GrateChef grillwipe stuck on the wire grillbrush I use to clean and oil the grill as the slather my wife wanted to use (because it is in the ATK recipe - NO DEVIATIONS on the first try!!) was really sticky, and I was able to quickly clean the grill after removing the meat before the sugar caramelized and this allowed me to put corn cobs on the grill right away;
      6. Considering how brown sugary the rub/slather stuff was, the finished product had only a hint of sweetness.

NOW, for the picture attachment - Watch this trick . . . Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks ribs 2 2APR2016.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	153710 Collards and coleslaw are the sides. Collards are from our garden.
      Last edited by Harry; April 3, 2016, 03:11 PM. Reason: Another thought - click on picture to get a larger image. It just worked for me.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        That is sweeeeeeeeeet!!! The meat and corn...

KBQed today.....

Comment

First try at a chuck roast - pot roast style. Smoked the chuckie for a couple of hours then added beef broth, red wine and veggies. Back on the smoker covered in foil for 2 1/2 more hours ​

Comment

Q'd a whole turkey I had in the freezer, making stock with the smoked carcass for Turkey lentil soup and a bunch of Turkey pies to go back in the freezer (classic and chipotle SW). Also threw on some jalapeño cheddar burgers, finished with MH's glop, red onion, pickles and greens.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            I think they call that a SMACK DOWN!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here