Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Stuff Chef's Buy, Not Make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    He buys corn tortillas, cuts them in quarters, soaks them in a lime/salt brine, pats them dry, then fries them in a dutch oven. They're really good. And simple. But more trouble than I like to go to.

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    I think its because everyone grew up eating Heinz ketchup, and its so ubiquitous, so that is the exact flavor people think of when they think of ketchup.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    In many cases I agree. We make stocks, aioli, dressings, vins, puréed stuff and a WHOLE LOT of other things daily or every other. Though we dont make olives, fish or poultry we sure treat it well and with respect.

Sadly I must agree with you for many places out there that possess but lack the leadership to do otherwise.

So sad.

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats on the win. A "W" is always good to have. I'm curious though. "Tortilla chip recipe??" Seriously? I never use CI for chips takes too long to heat hip.

• ecowper
    replied
    Frozen Smoke that’s true until you got to a high end restaurant. Which all these chefs assuredly cook in.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Steve R. That was a helluva advertisement for Publix

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Since I've become more familiar with the food service company's and the millions of products they have access to and sell I realize little is made "fresh" in most restaurants anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I can understand ketchup. The kicker for me was the one who wouldn't make fried chicken.

• aladdin4d
    replied
    But at home, sometimes it’s just easier for them to pick up Heinz Ketchup or a can of olives instead of cooking from scratch.
    So just how does one make an olive from scratch?

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    Sure! It's actually pretty simple in terms of ingredients and preparation. I'll post it in the appropriate thread. The "award" was I won a "Best Guac" contest at my wife's work party at the Dallas FBI office.

• scottranda
    replied
    I just finished making sausage. It’s soooo good but soooo much work. Especially the clean up!!!!

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Care to share your award winning recipe? Understand if you don’t!

• JoeSousa
    replied
    For homemade chilaquiles you pretty much have to use homemade tortilla chips. Other than that I would never make them at home.

I saw an article somewhere a couple months ago talking about ketchup and why it is very, very difficult to beat the taste of Heinz. Can't remember too many of the specifics but they did compare it to a bunch of fancy ketchups and the overwhelming majority of tasters picked Heinz as their favorite.

The one on the list I really disagree with would be bacon. It isn't too hard to make better bacon at home.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    If I was a big time chef, I am pretty sure I would never admit that I didn't make my own ketchup, mayonnaise, tapenade .... for example

• Steve R.
    replied
    Reading through some of those quotes, I hear the voice of Lewis Grizzard in my head saying "Damn, brother, I don't believe I'd have told that."

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here