Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Stuff Chef's Buy, Not Make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Stuff Chef's Buy, Not Make

This is interesting. Some of it, like tortilla chips, I totally agree with. Others, like BBQ sauce, I am yelling at my computer how wrong they are ;-)

Alton Brown has a pretty easy tortilla chip recipe that's very good. I like them because they're cripsy but still ... substantial. They'll hold up to my award-winning guacamole, and they taste great. But still kind of a pain in the neck to fire up the dutch oven and use a bunch of oil. Easier to buy chips, for sure.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure! It's actually pretty simple in terms of ingredients and preparation. I'll post it in the appropriate thread. The "award" was I won a "Best Guac" contest at my wife's work party at the Dallas FBI office.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on the win. A "W" is always good to have. I'm curious though. "Tortilla chip recipe??" Seriously? I never use CI for chips takes too long to heat hip.

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      He buys corn tortillas, cuts them in quarters, soaks them in a lime/salt brine, pats them dry, then fries them in a dutch oven. They're really good. And simple. But more trouble than I like to go to.

Reading through some of those quotes, I hear the voice of Lewis Grizzard in my head saying "Damn, brother, I don't believe I'd have told that."

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If I was a big time chef, I am pretty sure I would never admit that I didn't make my own ketchup, mayonnaise, tapenade .... for example

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I can understand ketchup. The kicker for me was the one who wouldn't make fried chicken.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. That was a helluva advertisement for Publix

For homemade chilaquiles you pretty much have to use homemade tortilla chips. Other than that I would never make them at home.

I saw an article somewhere a couple months ago talking about ketchup and why it is very, very difficult to beat the taste of Heinz. Can't remember too many of the specifics but they did compare it to a bunch of fancy ketchups and the overwhelming majority of tasters picked Heinz as their favorite.

The one on the list I really disagree with would be bacon. It isn't too hard to make better bacon at home.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      I think its because everyone grew up eating Heinz ketchup, and its so ubiquitous, so that is the exact flavor people think of when they think of ketchup.

I just finished making sausage. It’s soooo good but soooo much work. Especially the clean up!!!!

Comment

But at home, sometimes it’s just easier for them to pick up Heinz Ketchup or a can of olives instead of cooking from scratch.
      So just how does one make an olive from scratch?

Comment

Since I've become more familiar with the food service company's and the millions of products they have access to and sell I realize little is made "fresh" in most restaurants anymore.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          In many cases I agree. We make stocks, aioli, dressings, vins, puréed stuff and a WHOLE LOT of other things daily or every other. Though we dont make olives, fish or poultry we sure treat it well and with respect.

Sadly I must agree with you for many places out there that possess but lack the leadership to do otherwise.

So sad.

Frozen Smoke that’s true until you got to a high end restaurant. Which all these chefs assuredly cook in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here