Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

I am thinking of doing a brisket on my smoker. I have done ribs, butt and salmon with good results but have not done a brisket. Before spending the money for a brisket I thought I would ask the experts in the pit. Can I use a flat cut corn beef brisket for this? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Spend plenty of time reading the web site and posts about smoking brisket. A LOT of good advice around here about that.

As I understand it, a corned beef brisket smoked is what is called pastrami, and it is delicious! So, yes, by all means, make pastrami! I smoked corned beef last St. Patrick's Day and it turned out great.

As a bit of advice if you're buying it from the store, follow the directions on soaking it in water for several hours or it will be too salty. Good luck and don't forget to take pics!

Comment

• oldsarge84
      oldsarge84 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. Will post pics when I figure out how to do it lol

A corned beef flat is going to produce something wholly different than an uncured brisket. If you are shooting for pastrami, by all means go for it. If you are shooting for tender, beefy meat with good bark you might want to look at an uncured brisket.

Comment

I don't know, pastrami is mighty good !!!!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        +++++

This should get you off to a good start. After reading the linked article, come back here with any questions:

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice

These comments assume you are NOT making pastrami and start with a whole packer.

I think you can do well by following the Meathead approach described here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...que-and-recipe I do inject my briskets with one of the commercial magic elixirs but they turn out fine without them. I wrap in the peach paper when I wrap but have done foil and gone nekkid. I have used salt and pepper and BBR and commercial rubs. Keeping a good temperature and cooking to 200-203 but looking for that "wubba wubba" texture in the point has worked for me.

My number one secrets? Find a brisket with a thick flat (not the fat part, the meat). Loads of grocery store briskest have flats that are 1/2" thick. That will way overcook.

Next: buy the best meat you can buy. In TX we have HEB that sells prime brisket pretty reasonably. I have a local butcher that cells CAB from a specific ranch that I like even better than the HEB prime.

FInally, and this NEVER happens to me: Cut the slices pencil width. If tough, cut thinner. If overcooked and falling apart cut thicker.

Comment

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Love going to HEB when I'm in Texas!

• oldsarge84
        oldsarge84 commented
        Editing a comment
        You guys are amazing. I knew i could get some good advice. I am fairly new at smoker cooking and wanted to get some advice before i ruined a good brisket. Now I know why this site is called amazing So glad I found it.

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        meathead method works. made me a believer and member.

It will not make Texas smoked brisket. But the pastrami that it DOES make is freaking awesome.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        👍👌

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here