Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broiler Tips and Secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broiler Tips and Secrets

Bought an industrial Broiler to work on Steaks. There is no resources about this act.

How far or close should I put a two inch Filet?

I've been using trial and error. This was last night.
    Attached Files

Do you mean like a commercial broiler used in restaurant kitchens? I guess I can't remember the last time I used the broiler in our oven for anything so I'm not any help but I'd say your trial and error method has you on the right track.

Comment

Are you trying to cook entirely under the broiler? Or are you doing a reverse sear using your oven and the broiler? And what doneness are you shooting for - med rare, rare, med...?

When searing a steak on my kettle, I flip every 30 seconds to prevent the heat from penetrating too deep and I use a Thermapen to check the internal temp often. I do this with a fire as hot as I can get it.

Just thinking out loud, I would use a high temp for rare, and lower the temp for more well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
        Do you mean like a commercial broiler used in restaurant kitchens? I guess I can't remember the last time I used the broiler in our oven for anything so I'm not any help but I'd say your trial and error method has you on the right track.
        Indeed. Only way I can get a perfect crust on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          Are you trying to cook entirely under the broiler? Or are you doing a reverse sear using your oven and the broiler? And what doneness are you shooting for - med rare, rare, med...?

When searing a steak on my kettle, I flip every 30 seconds to prevent the heat from penetrating too deep and I use a Thermapen to check the internal temp often. I do this with a fire as hot as I can get it.

Just thinking out loud, I would use a high temp for rare, and lower the temp for more well done.
          Either or. Just so damn hot it Cooks it far too quick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here