Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun day cooking in the snow - Who says there is an end to grilling season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun day cooking in the snow - Who says there is an end to grilling season

I don't understand the people that say there is an end to the grilling season...Grilling / Smoking season goes year round in all weather...

We had a heavy snow in Farmville, Va. today but I was not going to let that stop me from some PBC ribs...

The snow collapsed the EZ-Up awning i had on my deck...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0510.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	605134

I wasn't going to let that stop me...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0512.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	605135

The end result...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0514.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	605133

It looks like I have over 12" on my deck at 9PM...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_163802.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	605141 I agree no end to bbq season nice job! I enjoy cooking in the elements, nothing like smoking ribs in the snow!

Comment

We have over 12" too in Midlothian VA. Nice lookin' ribs.

Comment

Totally agree there's no BBQ "season". There's only different amounts of clothes you wear while tending the fires.

Have fun!

Comment

• Keiferr
          Keiferr commented
          Editing a comment
          As a fellow Michigander, when the snow falls determines if the driveway or deck get shoveled first. Overnight snowfall, driveway gets cleared (wife still works). Snowfall after she leaves, deck gets cleared, fire gets started for dinner, then driveway.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen to that! Keiferr

I luv Wibs wain or shine

Comment

Rib on!

Comment

HEY! You're SUPPOSED to go outside and start a FIRE when it's ~ 84F or much higher!! First Rule: people that Grill/BBQ under 35F Don't Talk About It.

SECOND RULE: PEOPLE THAT GRILL/BBQ UNDER 35F DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!!

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

There's a reason I keep my 14.5 WSM and the Jumbo Joe in the garage - winter grilling! I just put them just outside the garage door underneath the overhang and cook all winter long. I'll occasionally use both simultaneously depending on what I'm trying to cook. I also keep my Weber gas grill in the garage. No snow removal required for us to grill during winter.

As for your makeshift awning...if you have a 22" Weber kettle I've been told the lid works as a great "umbrella" for the PBC.

Comment

Man you guys on the East coast are getting pounded early. Keep up the good work, at the end of the day you gotta eat !!!!

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bottom line kind of guy! 👍

We got the opposite here. Never understood "grilling season". Right now is the perfect time of year for us desert dwellers. Summer time (advertiser's self proclaimed bbq season) is the absolute worse time to cook outdoors here. Though it never stops me, but standing in front of an open flame when it's already 110* out sucks!

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

• johnmcq4
                    johnmcq4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just need some shade, a mister and 6 foot long tongs.

After having lived in Minnesota, South Dakota, and Saskatchewan I thought I had cold weather conquered. However yesterday I realized that living in Maryland has softened my edges. Yesterday I whimped out because of the cold rain and wind. We opened my wife’s Christmas present early, an Instant Pot 8 qt, and made pulled pork in the warmth of our kitchen. Hate to say it but that was one delicious pot of pulled pork.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have very close friends who are from Maryland living here. They’re wusses to. 😎 ✌️

For some historical reference:

December 9th 2017 - Morning

Name:	IMG_0507.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	605339

December 9th 2018 - Morning

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	605340

Heavy December snow on the same date two years in a row...

Last year cooked inside during the snow and shoveled out the OKJ Bandera the day after for its first cook...

Name:	24909695_10215461456552350_6030087520945603275_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	605341

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    $90???? That is a ridiculous price for that thing. Congrats on scoring it at that price.

• clb239
                    clb239 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The big box stores often have insane clearance sales late summer to make room for Christmas items. I bought it in August 2017. The Wal-Mart had two of them and my dad wishes he had bought the other one. Even though he doesn't need that much cooking space I think he wanted it to play with.

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Walmart put the OKJ Highland on clearance for $206 this fall. They normally sell it for $280. They no longer carry the Bandera so my guess is they were desperate to unload it as they were eliminating it from their inventory altogether. Again, amazing score on your part.

Up nort peeps don’t have a season, just grillin n’ smokin. I am a bit careful in single digits. Juss wear a hat, you be ok.

Comment

• clb239
                    clb239 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's always smoking / grilling season for me...that's why I had an easy up so I could keep the smoke rolling in the rain or snow...Haven't cooked in single digits but have had the smoke rolling in the teens...

We have someone who doesn't seem to mind grilling on cold snowy days either!

Name:	Bruno.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	605568

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man! I love that. I love the snow and a huge storm is so much fun! I will shovel all day.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Heh, heh, heh, me too Spinaker, except my shovel is John Deere 310E with an enclosed cab. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh man, I could really get in trouble on one of those JD's. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here