Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM in cold misty weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM in cold misty weather

Probably obvious to most of you guys. Last night was the first time cooking in cold mist with the WSM. Went through a ton of fuel and even with an empty water pan was hard to keep the temp at or above 225. I’ve cooked in colder weather that is dry. It was about 40F but I think the most played a large factor.

Its like the opposite of a deep fryer. The thermal storage of water took a lot of fire to overcome.

Comment

Is that your YouTube video? Good information. I like to use a lot of wood. The pork shoulder did turn out amazing in terms of taste.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yessire it is.. Just wanted to share the info.

Hit up some marine supply stores. Or camp trailer supply stores. Try getting some thick fiberglass cloth. You don’t want the fuzzy insulation stuff. It has a higher R rating but it is also fuzzy and requires careful handling. But the cloth (used to make boat hills and trailer shells) is like...well...cloth. That doesn’t burn. Wrap a few layers around the cooker body and secure with copper wire that has the insulation stripped off. It will help hold in some heat, but more importantly it will act as a wind break, to keep cold wind from sucking out the heat. Don’t cover the vents, that is all. It will also be possible to cut out a hole to access the door, you can cover the door with a fiberglass cloth flap. It will look like a mess, but it will be functional.

A welding blanket will also work, but will require modification to ensure proper airflow. Can’t just cover the WSM with a blanket that blocks all vents. You will have to cut holes for the intake and exhaust.

Comment

Interesting, this isn’t something I’ve had a problem with specifically due to cold and damp weather .... and I live near Seattle

Comment

Strong cold wind has really only been the weather element I've found problematic. As long as it's under cover (not subjected to a torrential downpour or a blizzard) cold and misty temps shouldn't be a problem. A slightly bigger and hotter fire (vents more open than during warmer weather) does the trick. You'll burn through fuel more quickly, but that is workable.

Comment

I smoked a pork roast on my 22" WSM on Saturday in the same misty, 40* weather down here in Houston with no problems. Ran steady at 275*. One thing you may want to do is invest in a controller and a fan. I'm not sure I could have run that hot without it, the fan did seem to run a little more than normal. I highly recommend such a purchase, albeit a bit expensive, I found its something I can't cook without !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here