Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im going to make chuck roast chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_154458.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	601118

Comment

I'd a had to make myself a serving of burnt ends, and kept that a secret.

Is that the size chunks you're going with? I would have broken them down one more slice...

...good knife. ;o)

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I think they'll be falling apart after they're cooked again.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I add the meat in close to the end of the chili simmer if I'm afraid that'll happen.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm probably going to throw it all into a pressure cooker. I'm not afraid if the meat falling apart. That's the plan.

Gotta love smoked chuck roast in chili. We did that 3 weeks ago for the Michigan/Indiana tailgate.

Comment

The size of the cut looks about right to me Attjack I like all my soups, stews and chili to be chunky. If some of the meat falls apart all the better. Those big chunks will soak up tons of flavor!

Comment

My only question at this point is how much liquid to use in the instant pot. I'm leaning toward 2 cups of tomato stock.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I only used one cup of stick and a 1/4 werstershire.

Can you interrupt the InstaPot mid stream to check what's going on inside or are you locked in when you hit the go go button? 2 cups to me doesn't sound like a lot but i'm totally ignorant of these InstaPot thingy's.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You would need to depressurize it so it wouldn't be quick and easy. Normally I would be cooking off the liquid and reducing it. But I think with a pressure cooker pretty much no liquid will escape.

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotcha. Your method is different than mine with reducing the liquid. Being a slow pot cooker for chili and such I usually build my flavors through ingredients and then let time do it's thing in the slow cooker or dutch oven.

I guess I'll just gauge the consistency by what it looks like before it gets pressure cooked.

Comment

Looks like a rendition of Malcom Reeds Chuck roast chili! Interesting thought on the instant pot. I too like mine thick and chunky, so i'd still have to reduce it after

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a rendition of Malcolm Reed's recipe. I looked at a several chuck roast chili recipes and not surprisingly his stood out.

• BigCountryQ
              BigCountryQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I recognize it because I've won two chili cook offs with it! It's a winner for sure

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              Malcom Reed's recipe is kick arse. I did my first one with his addition of spicy ground pork sausage. I liked it but the fam said it was too hot. next time I did it I used the regular ground sausage and everyone was happy. Attjack those cubes of beef are perfect size as some will break down a little bit thickening up the chili. Can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

I made some chili with some leftover brisket a few weeks back. Probably the best chili I have ever made. The smoke from the brisket definitely added to the final products. I will probably make a pot with the leftovers everytime I cook a brisket from now on.

I might try smoking/charring the onions and peppers next time as well. Those look great and I generally hate onions and pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSousa View Post
              I made some chili with some leftover brisket a few weeks back. Probably the best chili I have ever made. The smoke from the brisket definitely added to the final products. I will probably make a pot with the leftovers everytime I cook a brisket from now on.

I might try smoking/charring the onions and peppers next time as well. Those look great and I generally hate onions and pepper.
              I did the same thing a couple weeks back. Used the left over brisket in a beef stew. It was fantastic! I like the idea of smoked peppers and onions!!

Comment

Came out great. Best chili I've made. 30 minutes at pressure and then about 15 to release the pressure (while the bread toasted).

Name:	20181203_191042.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	601820

Name:	20181203_191449.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	601821

Comment

Looks excellent Attjack ! The texture looks perfect! Still got some nice chunks and some of the meat broke down. Nice presentation as well! Might have to get one of these InstaPots. I've been resisting the wife because after the kitchen remodel we both vowed not to fill the new cabinets up with junk we won't use but I think we might get some use out of this. How does it do with pasta dishes? I've got some linguini and penne pasta dishes on the winter menu!

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not sure about pasta. I don't eat much pasta. It cooks rice well though so I assume it does pasta too. I'm considering replacing my crockpot with this thing. I'm waiting to see if I miss the crockpot before I make that call.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    These electric pressure cookers are actually great space savers because they can replace a bunch of other stuff. Go for it!

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF I never owned a rice cooker and now I never will. I would sooner buy a different sized Instant Pot than to get one (though I have no plans for that currently).

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here