Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-beat Pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-beat Pairings

We all have them. Our personal eccentricities.

For instance, Henrik might say 'peanut butter and jelly! are you serious?' Or we might think 'you LIKE Vegemite with WHAT?'

So let's list some.. I'll get us started.

- Cold lager beer and milk chocolate. My personal 'yum'. I am enjoying that right now.

- Original Doritos and an avocado cut in half to use as dip. ...should be a national treasure.

- Fresh-caught fried fish and eggs for breakfast. Believe it or not my wife just doesn't get this one...

- The mysterious Texas Dalmatian Rub - what's in that again?

What are some of yours?
    Last edited by JGo37; November 29, 2018, 11:22 PM.

I like putting Cheetos Cheese Puffs in my tomato soup.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a hard time hitting the 'Like' on this, but you're the first responder AND hit a home run as to where I was going with this.

;o)

• djl
      djl commented
      Editing a comment
      And he is a Bills fan! Makes sense, my wife likes to add Cheez-Its to her tomato soup.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a slice of good old american processed cheese for us in our tomato soup.

French fries and mayonnaise (instead of ketchup)

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I just recently bought a bottle of Heinze Mayochup at Walmart. Not much different than the secret dip/sauce a lot of restaurants seem to offer.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I dip my fries I’m my milkshake.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, Dadof3Illinois , yes you are. If you think you are, you probably am.

;o)

Peanut butter, banana, mayo (Duke's!) and potato chips on white bread.

Comment

Peanut butter and onion sandwich on toast.
      Potato chips on a baloney and mayo sandwich.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we're just gettin' weird...

Vegimite? & what? What is vegimite or am I dating myself.
      Coffee......black! No junk in it. I don’t eat like a kid. John Wayne didn’t eat like a kid. Clint Eastwood didn’t eat like a kid. He ate hot dogs without ketchup! 🕶

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice seque too from vegemite to ketchup, which Australians seem to put on every imaginable food too. However, they call it tomato sauce, which is different from what we here call tomato sauce.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm. I remember the reference in song, but never looked it up.

"Vegemite (/ˈvɛdʒɪmaɪt/ VEJ-i-myte)[1][2] is a thick, black, Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives. It was developed by Cyril Percy Callister in Melbourne, Victoria in 1922."

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        he must've bumped his head...

I never eat potato chips anymore, but when I was a kid, my dad and I used to snack on Pringles and use Miracle Whip as a dip.

And I never quite caught on to this one, but all the men in my family loved warm cornbread crumbled into a cold glass of milk. I think this is a southern/Appalachian thing, but it was pretty common when I was growing up.
      Last edited by Steve R.; November 30, 2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, if you get REAL southern, you crumble that corn bread into a tall glass of buttermilk. I've seen both my dad and my father in law do this. Me? I hate buttermilk, and I never crumbled cornbread into regular milk either. I have had it with syrup or honey and a glass of milk, as a make-do dessert when nothing else was available...

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, they actually did that too, jfmorris. A tall glass of buttermilk washed down many a supper at my grandparents' table. Not my thing at all, though.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        My dad did that, and his father did it too. My grandfather also put rice in milk with a little sugar for desert.

Ok I have a couple the first one might make some squeamish.
      Spam and cucumber sammies. Wife had been eating these since she was a kid and she caught me at a weak moment after about 5 years of marriage and I tried it. Huh, not bad!
      Last time we made them we almost went into shock from all the salt in the Spam. Don't know if they changed their recipe over the years or we just got a can from when the salt dispenser was stuck!
      Toast some bread and fry up some spam. Layer Spam and cucumbers and enjoy! Or not..

Second one is actually very good and maybe not such a odd pairing. Can't remember if this is a combination of recipes I combined or something I came up with on my own but I've been eating them for years.

Grilled cheese, apple and bacon sammies. Slice some granny smith apples thin. Fry your bacon. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Spread the other side of one or both pieces of bread with dijon mustard. Layer apples first on the bread then cheese then bacon. Grill just like you would a grill cheese.

Key here is a good spicy dijon with some horseradish even and a good quality deli cheese like a sharp cheddar to really give you some flavor contrast. Delicious!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I do a toasted sammie with cheese and apple but will be definitely adding bacon next time.

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        that last one sounds like an omelette i order at a restaurant. cheddar, tart apples, and bacon

French fries dipped in a vanilla milkshake and white american cheese with any sort of fruit scone are two of my favorites lol

Comment

Frozen Smoke Went shopping for you and the wife. No thanks necessary.😀
        Click image for larger version

Name:	CEC5036B-FF25-4397-9290-C6ABD6F7E3E0.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	599723

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          now that's funny...

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! What are you doing stocking up the fall out bunker? You know only 2 things will survive a nuclear winter and that's Spam and Keith Richards!!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Frozen Smoke "Ask not what kind of world you will leave to your grandchildren; ask what kind of world you will leave to Keith Richards"!

Pickled herring potato salad. Don’t knock it until you’ve tryed it.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not weird!

Cold spaghetti and mayo sandwich.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard of this before, and that's where I'm leaving this...

• TechSmoker
          TechSmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          There are some things that just need a dislike button.

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I thought at first.

Peanut butter and pickle sandwich, toasted

Comment

• Beerme
          Beerme commented
          Editing a comment
          Spam and grape jelly sandwich. Yummy!

I have to put Cool Ranch Doritos on my tuna fish sandwiches.

Comment

I've always wondered if anyone else did this. When I make a pot of beans, cornbread always goes with it. I crumble the cornbread into the beans, which I think is pretty normal, but then I smother the whole thing with ketchup. I think I got this from my dad growing up.

Also, I haven't had this in a long time but when I was a kid, my mom made us cut up bananas in a bowl of milk sprinkled with sugar for a snack. It was pretty enjoyable.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            JGo37 - does that mean your Dad was in the navy, like mine was?

• Jetski
            Jetski commented
            Editing a comment
            No, he wasn't in the Navy. I'm not sure where he got it from. His father was in the army in WWI, maybe he got it from him. I never met his dad, my grandfather since he passed away before I was born.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I grew up putting ketchup on my eggs and about everything else. Then when I was about 10 or 12, I graduated to putting Tabasco sauce on everything. Back then, about the only two hot sauces in the Winn Dixie store were Tabasco and that red dot Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here