Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork in a Bradley Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork in a Bradley Smoker

Just curious as to how long fellow members add smoke to the pork and what is the preferred wood.

I love pecan.

Comment

For big hunks of meat like butts I use hickory. I cook to temp on butts. Shooting for internal temp of 203-205. Time will vary depending on the size of the butt and how long the stall is. When I do a load of butts in the BWS Gater the first one will come off in 9-10 hrs and the last one may not come out until 15 hours. To answer the OP’s question, all the time, I load hickory chunks in the charcoal basket along with the charcoal. A full basket will run nearly 20 hours.
      Last edited by hungstart; November 29, 2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

If you are using a Bradley I recommend hickory for pulled pork. You only need to run the smoke for 3 hours or so. Anything more is just wasting bisquettes. I would run the oven at 270 and I've found that pork butt is best removed at 195 and then faux cambro for an hour or two. Keep in mind that with an electric cooker the bark will come out black. Don't worry, it's not burned it's just how the meat reacts to an electric coil. I would run a thermometer probe through the top vent. If you can fit your butt on 1 rack I recommend putting another rack in below it and throwing in a couple of cans of strained whole tomatoes. They can be pureed and used as a base for a number of things including a KC BBQ sauce.

Comment

Like above, I always use hickory now with pork butts. I have hickory, oak, mesquite, apple and cherry on hand, and I could put in a smoking tube with another ~ 7 choices, some of which are competition mixes.

Hickory.

After the meat hits ~ 165F I don't add more chunks if it's a charcoal cook. At that point the smoke and taste has settled.

There's a couple things you can during prep to affect taste. Sometimes as a change-up, especially if I'm going to do some things like burritos, I'll scrub the butt hard with slices of limes, 'paint' it lightly with yellow mustard using a brush, and then use a Santa Fe, Baja, or Santa Maria traditional rub and cake it on heavy for a dense bark. I lived in San Diego for 25 years, and fished Mexico a lot. Those are good things to try on pulled pork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here