Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the difference between Dry brineing and rubbing the night before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the difference between Dry brineing and rubbing the night before?

I realize this has probably been covered before but I don't get on here much (as I would like too) any more. So (long story for short question) My Kitchen is being redone. A couple of days ago they pulled up all the counter tops, took out the sink and started pulling new wires to bring my Kitchen out of the late 70's into the appliance rich 21 century. When they killed the electric they killed the extra box freezer but they weren't suppose to take more than 24 hours. But then one thing lead to another and they haven't been back for 2 days and wont come over the weekend!!! So a couple of Prime Briskets I had in there are thawing/thawed So I decide to smoke them tomorrow. You see mother nature is being kind to me (for once lol) the temp right now is 39 and its suppose to only get down to 35 tonight before a high of 51 degrees. So decided to dry brine them tonight (and leave them out side over night in covered containers.) So when I go to get the kosher salt I'm reminded that I ordered a bottle of Harry Soo's beef rub especially for one of the prime briskets. So I decided to only dry brine one the other would get the harry soo. Then it hits me if only the salt can be broken down and pulled into the meat what does it matter if I just dry brine or put rub on over night?? wont only the salt be pulled into the meat, while the rest just sits on top like a good rub should? So I did. Then immediately wonder if I just wasted the rub?? (that Harry Soo stuff is quite expensive) I guess I'll find out tomorrow lol. So really whats the difference?

Just using my own experience, but I rinse after dry brining because I use higher amount of salt, then use a salt free rub. I am sure Harry uses lower amount of salt in his rub so overnighting should not hurt anything. I am sure it will be tasty!! I put rub and salt the night before if I know time is going to be an issue the next day.

Comment

I dry brine with salt heavy rubs all the time, salt is salt.

Comment

I’ve done this with pork many times and I think Jerod Broussard has said before that he has done this too.

Comment

I dry brine with rubs that have salt in them all the time. I never rinse after dry brining. The only thing you don want to do is dry brine with salt and the rub with a dry rub that has salt in it. The whole point of using rub sans salt is better control of the salt and the rub. What you did is fine. You are correct about only salt being absorbed in the meat. Some people will dry brine for 2-3 days. Make sure you lets us see some of you finished products!

Comment

I usually salt, then add the rub right after for a dry brine. The way I see it, may as well apply the rub when the meat is right out of that package and wet so it sticks. The rub won’t really do anything but then it’s ready to go right in the smoker the next day.

Comment

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              A trick I learned from someone in the pit is to wrap the meat in plastic the first day. It keeps it from drying out. I also spritz the meat with water when I am applying the rub. It really works well. I spritz, apply rub, spritz, apply rub until I get just what I want. I like a heavy coat of BBBR.

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, that what I'm doing to a couple of chuckies today for tommorrow's cook. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/co...ilies//Yum.JPG

I tend to lightly salt thinner cuts so having separate brine is a way have a rub on both sides of, say, boneless skinless thighs, without over-salting.

Comment

Despite all of the science and spot-on advice here there are some things I have done forever and still do just because they just work for me. For example, my tri-tip is rubbed days in advance. My rub does have salt and pepper in it. I actually pre-grill it before I smoke it. Dr. Blonder and Meathead have proven that my observations are in my head, but I still believe. I see the following difference: The tri-tip plumps up during the smoking process and is moister than if I reverse sear and don't rub a couple of days in advance. Go figure.
              Last edited by tbob4; November 10, 2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on the plumpiness. What starts off as a fairly flat piece turns into nice juicy ball 'o meat.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                He said "plumpiness"

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman - Hahahahaha. CaptainMike was referring to my belly!

HS rub has both salt and celery seed in it. Apply the night before, the salt will dry brine in, and the nitrates in the celery seed will attach to the myoglobin to produce a thicker, more pronounced smoke ring. Rubbing the night before is so the salt can be drawn into the brisket. A small amount of the sugar will penetrate a much smaller distance helping the flavor and formation of the bark. And as i mentioned above, if celery seed is present, letting it work overnight will help the smoke ring.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Move over Doc Blonder, TT is in the house!!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Other than appearance, there’s no real point in having a smoke ring. Why promote it?

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                because it sells his product. Troutman

Thanks to all of you that responded. The Brisket is resting in the Cambro right now. (yep I only did one when I went to put more pellets in the Mak even though they were in the cabinet under the grill (which had the cover on it) and they were not opened yet both bags of pellets I had were mostly sawdust??? since all I can find in town is Traeger pellets (I don't run those) I couldn't use the pellet popper so the Weber 22 inch (with SnS) to the rescue but only enough room for one Brisket A Friend is babysitting the other brisket! Or he may be cooking it lol either way is fine! will post pictures soon

Comment

I make my own rubs and they are salt-free. I like dry-brining because I am able to control the amount of salt that absorbs into the meat. I typically dry-brine when the meat is purchased and then vacuum seal it for later use. I'll apply the rub the night before. Like tbob4 said, it's a technique that works so I just roll with it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here