Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do if you have screwed up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do if you have screwed up.

Morning / Afternoon / Evening all,

What advice would you give to someone who has just realized they have overcooked and cut too early (early, as in the rest of the meal is not ready so it has to sit and wait for up to an hour after being cut) a roast, fillet etc...(other than throwing it out and buying a cooked chook from the supermarket)
    A couple of my friends lately have done this lately to fillets and rump roasts and i was wondering what you all would do if you ever found yourself in this situation.

Introduce them to Amazingribs and enlighten them how to cook properly. There's a wealth of great info here that is going to destroy all those grandpa/uncle myths.

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus one

Gently slip into the conversation that "I did that once" and tell them about wrapping, warm oven/ faux cambro, and AR.

Comment

Over cooked? There's really no going back from being over cooked. Best thing you can do with a over cooked roast is make a stew in a crock pot and hope it tenderizes a bit after a long cook with some veggies and broth.

Comment

If it’s burned it’s worthless.

If its it’s over cooked and dry, then it goes into a dish that uses meat as an ingredient but provides moisture and other flavors. (Mac and cheese, lasagna, burrito, chili, stew etc).

Or or if it’s not too dry a sauce can help.

Comment

A week studying this site. ROCKSTARS

Comment

Search for faux cambro here in the Pit. Meat can be held for hours if foiled and wrapped in towels, and then placed in a cooler. Holding actually helps improve many meats. Need to know just how overcooked you mean. To many of us, anything over medium rare is overcooked., while some meats we are aiming for 210F.

Comment

If it's edible then wrap, pop into a warm oven, make a sauce or gravy then serve with apologies. Also, get a good digital thermometer to avoid future mistakes.

Comment

i would say invest in a good thermometer so it doesn't happen again (the initial sting of buying one does hurt, but it hurts less and less the more perfectly cooked food you make).

after that, learn good chili recipes

Comment

I was going to say chili, as DeusDingo suggested. Or stew as others have.

Comment

What to do if you have screwed up

Buy her flowers, simply say "I am SORRY", and keep your mouth shut from that point on.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol!

Yeah, not much you can do other than learn to NOT overcook, and to not carve a roast or brisket before serving. That dries it out even more. Being done 1 hour before the rest of the meal is a non-issue. Wrap in foil, then old towels and put in a cooler to hold hot until it is time for dinner. I hold stuff like ribs, brisket or butt, which is cooked to 200F or so, in a warm oven at 170F as well sometimes. Wrapped tightly in foil of course. I would not hold a tenderloin, beef strip loin or steaks in a 170F oven though, as that will overcook them.

Comment

Comment

• Fire Art
                        Fire Art commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We can help before that

• JGo37
                        JGo37 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You can't take that to the range and practice... well, not more than once.

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hahaha, that's what it feels like to vote some times!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here