Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need technique help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need technique help please!!

So I am doing something for a family cookout this weekend I've never done - smoke 2 big hunks of animal at the same time. I'm doing a brisket and a pork butt.

I remember once stumbling across an article on this topic on the website a long time ago, but for the life of me I can't find it! Can anyone help me track it down? I've tried searching the website and forums with various forms of "cooking 2 meats" and am getting so many results that I can't pin it down.

I've cooked both meats before many times and know the methods well. But since I've never done them simultaneously (except in competition years ago on an industrial smoker) I'm concerned. I'd like to check out this article if I can find it to see of there is anything odd I should account for.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help bird dog this for me.

What influences cooking time? So many variables, such as the total volume of meat in your cooker. Are you using rib racks to squeeze more meat into a small area? Beware. The meat is almost touching, and that could add up to an hour of cooking time. Here are more tips on cooking more than one hunk of meat at once.

This is probably it

Comment

That is it EXACTLY!! Thanks man! I'm sure that was within my search results but every search yielded a couple hundred results. I really appreciate the assist.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to help. I second what Troutman said as well. It won't be as complicated to handle as the article probably makes it sound. Throw 'em in, pull 'em off when they're done.

To me it's not that big a deal. As the article points out;

In theory, if you have enough space between the hunks for air to flow, and if you can hold the target temp, it should take no longer to cook several clods of meat that just one. Each hunk will cook independently.

In other words the meats are going to get done when it gets done regardless, just make sure there is enough room to cook both pieces and monitor them with your thermo devices. It should just be a normal, albeit long, cook as if you were cooking them independent of one another. Just make sure you time your cooks to include a few hours rest in your cambro.

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas. I will definitely give myself more time than I think I need. Thankfully I have two thermo setups and can independently monitor each meat and can have independent temp monitoring for each cook zone. Sounds like that will be a big plus doing this.

Comment

Fortunately the 2 hunks of meat cook best at the same temperature range. Now, if you were trying to do spares and bird....

Comment

Those two work together perfectly. It will be no problem at (as long you have space for both on your pit. Enjoy

Comment

You’re gonna nail this cook. No doubt.
              Even if you hit your target temps and the meats are prob tender an hour or two ahead of schedule they will benefit from the extra time in the cambro. I’ve cambro’d for 5hrs before and have had great results.
              Now go get em.

Comment

This site makes me look like a shooting Star

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  👊👍

Go for it and have fun! Plus, take notes.

#ProbeTender

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Paul. You’re a maniac. And I love you brother.
                  Keep up the great work. Love when you check in here in the pit. 👊

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right back at you, @Steve_B!

I'll second what the article suggests - I use two, two probe thermometers with remotes because that's what I have. My point is that I monitor ambient and the meat, each separately. I set alarms - one ambient high and one low, because that's what my monitors can do. I treat the meats independently and do what I'd do with each, as if it were a solo cook.

Anyway, no matter where I am at home during the cook I know what's going on with temps. No stress! As long as I glance at the remotes now and then and adjust vents and fuel I never get an alarm till the meats ring after their stall.

Last edited by JGo37; November 1, 2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Man, joining this community it the best thing I've done as an amateur smoker jockey! I love all the support. Thanks ya'll for the tips and the encouragement. Going to have a great family cookout Saturday and a bunch of happy diners!

Comment

Brentaustin When I first joined I remember prepping a cook where I was in unfamiliar territory. I got in-game advice and the cook ended up turning out great. The Pit is a collective wealth of knowledge and information is passed along willingly because people in this community enjoy helping others up their cooking game.

We are glad to have you and as cool as it is receiving great advice, it's even more gratifying when someone is seeking advice on something that is in your wheelhouse and you are able to pass on your knowledge and experience to an appreciative recipient. It just feels good.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's all part of our nefarious plot to conquer the world through "Peace by BBQ"!

I have found that all of my cookers run their best when they are loaded up. Lots of natural moisture in there from all that meat, and not much need for a water pan. Smoke on, Brentaustin !

Comment

Well everyone, time to see if I can pull it off. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's about 5 to midnight and there's a thunderstorm here. Thankfully I have a good canopy. And in a few more minutes that comedy of coal is going in. The big hunk of steer and pig are going on soon. The things we do for family!

Thanks again for the advice and support. He goes nothin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_005153.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	587682

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here