Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas Decidant/difficult/over the top recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Decidant/difficult/over the top recipes

It has been awhile since I last posted. I got out of the military moved to so cal and have to plan thanks giving and xmas. Once again my BBQ brethren (I don't know if that hits both genders but I mean it too) I come to you for help.

Please give me your favorite most decidant/difficult/over the top recipes. Money is no object but lets not make it about that. What you would make or attempt to make.

Here is a really good appetizer:

Sorry, I keep mine simple, it helps me stay with my guests. Instead I get the highest quality ingredients: dry aged prime for the rib roast, fresh vegetables, high quality butter and olive oil, good beer and wine. Then I prepare them all simply.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m kinda with you on this one Mosca We generally go with prime Filet mignon, family time differences somewhat prohibit doing a rib roast. But man I would love to do that. Some good fresh veggies and almost always a garlic mashed potato dish.
      The most important part is of course. Family.

• frijolefrito
      frijolefrito commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried wagyu or kobe beef? Is that stuff so good that you'd suggest it?

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I have cooked American Wagyu, but not Kobe. I have eaten Kobe, and it is really rich and decadent, but not really suitable for a holiday setting, IMO. As far as buying American Wagyu, the difference over prime or dry aged prime is incremental. The guests have just as much fun when you serve top choice or Black Angus. But if you have the money, and aren't afraid of a $450 roast, go for it!

Try a Beef Wellington for one of them. Definitely decadent. Definitely delicious!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea and it's really pretty easy. Just buy the pastry in the store, make the mushroom coating and you got a fancy hunk of meat to serve !!

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely one of my favorites Ed, and I always forget about it.. hot pastry with a jus on the side - ..... man.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      JGo37 - plain powdered gelatin.

Here is a favorite chicken recipe of my wife and I. It's not hard, but there are a lot of steps:

Comment

• frijolefrito
      frijolefrito commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn't look to bad interesting about the 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      frijolefrito - the gelatin helps thicken the sauce. I've started using it to other things too.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gelatin or active tapioca? I use tapioca a lot when I want a stew-like consistency.

Take a look at some of the recipes Jhirshon has been posting recently if you want decadent and difficult together. They sound great though. Christmas for us is almost always Turkey. Canadian Thanksgiving was so long ago I have almost forgotten.

Comment

This is the most over-the-top recipe in my repertoire! I salute your challenging spirit! https://www.thefooddictator.com/hirs...en-sarcophage/
      Last edited by Jhirshon; October 29, 2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely over the top, Boss! ;-)

• frijolefrito
        frijolefrito commented
        Editing a comment
        Bruh. Looks fun did you make this? Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Jhirshon
        Jhirshon commented
        Editing a comment
        Only once - it’s HARD!

Or this one for Turducken! https://www.thefooddictator.com/paul...mes-turducken/
      Last edited by Jhirshon; October 30, 2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• frijolefrito
        frijolefrito commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a fan of the turducken. I don't like put things in other things like that or the bacon weaves on meat.

Or perhaps Peking Duck! https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-...3%A4%E9%B8%AD/

Comment

Or Beef Wellington! This is one of the first recipes I ever posted on The Food Dictator! https://www.thefooddictator.com/true-beef-wellington/
        Last edited by Jhirshon; October 30, 2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

We do a rich beef stew for Christmas dinner.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That can be over the top in its own way!

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done an over the top Shepard's pie. Using short ribs cooked in a red wine reduction, ribs, and oxtail used to make beef broth. I take all the meat grind it up together than make it into shepard's pie with home made mash potatoes ect.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, frijolefrito !

Click image for larger version

Name:	121613cth4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	585843

Comment

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            That's funny!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            WTH, you just scared the bejesus out of me

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I caught one of those once, threw it back with the line on it, and then caught a great white.

I think that large cuts have the impressive/wow factor. A 4 bone beef fore rib, 4 bone wing rib or a boned, rolled and stuffed pork loin might impress!

Comment

• frijolefrito
            frijolefrito commented
            Editing a comment
            That's an option I could slow smoke it too. Hmmm...

Maybe consider a tasting. Buy a couple of Rib eye roast and stagger them in a dry age from 15 days to as much as you can. Would be really cool had you been able to start way earlier and have a sample that is dry ages 100+ days. Cook and season them all the same and pair with a nice Zin like Earthquake or Bedrock.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            100+ day dry aged meat is better known as jerky

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, lots of loss I agree. There are people out there that like that extra funky taste. I had some local 40 day with wet age akaushi. The dry does have a unique taste that leans to me like a cheese.

Moussaka is multi layered Greek lamb casserole that is complex and fun. You can even assign some of the components to guests as a contribution. We occasionally do this within our circle of friends. It's usually a main course, but could accompany, or nicely contrast a big joint of roasted beef or leg of lamb.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; October 31, 2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm late on this one, but I did do bacon wrapped scallops on the inner griddle on a 22.5" kettle last night, with T-bones on the outer ring for the turf (salted for an hour first). To get everything done at once, I did asparagus, quartered small red potatoes and long-sliced zucchini on a griddle stretching over two oven burners in the kitchen. When I removed the scallops I seared the T-bones on the center CI griddle. All in all, it was a good dinner. KBB for the fuel, with hickory chunks on top. Rosemary for the zucchini, parsley for the reds, a dab of Irish butter and Veggie Grill seasoning for the asparagus, and garlic butter on the CI for the bacon-scallops.

I learned that you can 3-zone a griddle this way. Each end on a burner at different temps, and the space between the two.

And a last memory - I also did 2 portabellas in the kettle too. Sprayed with EVOO, sprinkled with Chicago Steak seasoning and topped with shredded mozzarella that had just started to bubble when I pulled them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here