Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason to not use a water pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason to not use a water pan?

Are there any downsides to using a water pan? Does too much humidity interfere with the formation of bark? Over at Chefsteps, one of the writers mentioned he likes to put the water pan in after about two hours to help form a pellicle. Does anyone else do that?

This is one of those topics that will get your head spinning.
    I don't use water but I do use a foiled water pan for easy cleaning.
    Sometimes I take the pan out completely when I hang ribs or cook chicken in WSM for that "open fire" type of cooking.

Comment

I have always used a water pan between heat and the meat. Like you said, it adds humidity, and helps keep the food moist, but it also helps regulate temperature. Without a water pan it can be a little more difficult keeping the temperature down around the 225 mark.

Comment

Depends on the type of rig you are cooking with. What pit do you use? I use a water pan on my elcheapo brinkman. but i need it to help control the heat. I don't use it on my UDS because there is 0 need for one. And the humidity doesn't actually do anything to the moistness or tenderness of the meat. At least not that i have seen personally or found any evidence of online.

Comment

Well, here on Amazing Ribs they have some info on water pans and drip pans:

What is the difference between a drip pan and a water pan? And why do I need some humidity when I make barbecue in the first place? Find out here along with tips on indirect grilling and an answer to the question: What should I put in my water pan on my grill or smoker? Hint: It's not wine, beer, or juice.

Comment

Agree...and from the article...

8) The humidity keeps the meat moister and that slows cooking as the moist surface evaporates and cools the meat. This allows more time for connective tissues and fats to melt.

Comment

I use the Weber One Touch gold. I've only used it with a water pan and things have come out very good. Wasn't sure if the guys at Chefsteps were on to something. Of course, they were cooking their ribs sous vide first and then smoking it at a lower temp so the formation of the pellicle might not be something I'd be concerned with.

Comment

I don't use a water pan for chicken. I use one for all other meats.

Comment

Would that be because it affects the crispiness of the skin Huskee? I've always used my water pan with my chicken and it doesn't seem to affect the crispiness.

Comment

Yes, in my setup. I run an offset and use a water pan under the food grates close to the firebox side to regulate temps. I don't use it for chicken to get my temps higher easier and to keep a drier environment for crisp skin. If you don't notice any difference I'd suggest keep using it.

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If it ain't broke, don't fu ... errrr.... fix it.

Yeah it also has the added benefit of keeping my temps more stable on the ECB. Someday I'll get myself a proper cooker.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you know what to do in order to make repeatable good results, then it IS a proper cooker!

I always use one in the offset or back when I smoked on the kettle.

The PBC locks in plenty moisture.......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here