Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking "Hot and Fast". What's the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking "Hot and Fast". What's the deal?

This "hot and fast" stuff is all new to me. If it comes out as good as it looks/sounds like it does and it's just a matter of reaching the appropriate internal temp and then holding it there until tender, why do we bother with "low and slow"?

Low n slow = more time outside with cold beverage.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Secrets of the PitMasters!

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Wise words to live and drink by!

IMO cooking hot and fast can give you some great results in much less time but is much less forgiving. Your temps can get away from you and ruin something pretty quick. Low and slow is much more forgiving in this respect.
    ive had awesome results cooking both ways and several not so awesome results...ha.
    If im running short on time I’ll cook hot and fast, no problem. Just watch which rubs you use, may need to cut the sugars back or they’ll burn.

Comment

• sryoder
      sryoder commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I'm intrigued. Think I'll try it first with a pork shoulder as it seems nearly impossible to screw one of those up (unless the rub burns, of course). Have you tried it with a brisket to cut down on the extremely long cooking times they typically take?

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you have to really watch the types of sugar you use. If you can find some turbinado sugar that will help.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      As I raise the tempture on my BGE the wider the swiNgs get. A controller can help solve that, but I even at times see swiNgs with a controller.

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
    Low n slow = more time outside with cold beverage.
    Well, yeah, Low and slow definitely has that going for it.

Comment

Collagen breakdown. Tender steaks don't need it, so low is more about temp control and margin of error, but tougher cuts and larger roasts need time at temp to break down their goodies.

Comment

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-cook-low-slow

A young friend of mine asked me recently how to learn about BBQ. I told him to go to amazingribs.com and start reading.

Comment

• sryoder
          sryoder commented
          Editing a comment
          I've read tons of BBQ books and articles including the one you cited. What prompted my question was that I was following another thread where a member was cooking a pork shoulder hot and fast and it appeared to come out great. This is certainly not mentioned in Meathead's article but other commenters seemed to be aware of using this method on larger, tougher cuts. Learn something new every day.

I think most of us did hot and fast before we learned about low and slow. At least I did. When I learned low and slow and experienced the difference, I never went back.

I might have been doing hot and fast wrong, I dunno.

Comment

250 is the hottest I’ll go for smoking. I’ve tried hotter, even ~350. Though the results were good, they were not as good as 225-250 for me and my family and friends who said they prefer the flavor profile from a longer cook and I agree. I never told them cooks were hotter before they ate. They described the hotter cooks as more of a roasted taste.

Comment

This subject has come up numerous times. Hot and fast works and is sometimes necessary. Most large service bbq joints have to rely on that to make their services run smoothly. As was stated you need a bit more skill because windows of doness are narrowed and over shooting easier.

A lot of comp pitmasters will go hot and fast with brisket, for instance. They use more liquid and thus braising techniques to get that sweet spot the way they want it for judging.

Ive kind of adopted a middle ground with large cuts of beef or pork. I cook around 260-275* which gives me a degree of control but cuts 20-25% off my cook times. I would advise experimenting on your own. Try different temps and observe the results. Find the sweet spot that’s right for you.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I shoot for about 275-325. I do it because I personally don’t notice a taste difference compared to low and slow, and it’s nice knowing I can start a brisket at 10 AM or even noon and have it done by dinner.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Aaron Franklin shoots for 275 on brisket, so maybe we're all doing it wrong...

Sorry if this is a "no no"(I haven't read the rules yet) but here is a video of hot and fast with Harry Soo. It is a little long winded but has some good info. Makes me want to try it, so I can see if its worth it or is it a time saver. I am not a big fan of foil wrapped brisket, I like butcher paper wrap much more. That being said if the bark stays firm it maybe be good.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, you better read the rules, we got lots of em around here.

Life is to short to be defined by set temperatures. Experiment and enjoy the outcome!

Comment

So I'm doing short ribs today for me and the dogs today thinking microwave for twelve minutes and cambro for five is this not and fast enough

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, slip in some instant coffee in the micro-wave & go back in time.

I smoke pretty much everything at 275 F. I have found no difference between 225 F and 275 F, except for the time. 225 F takes waaaaay longer and I really don't see there benefit unless you have a smoker with a TON of airflow. I have never done a brisket over 300 F but I have done a few shoulders and they came out pretty good, not as good as the shoulders I cook at 275 F. Chicken gets the hot and fast treatment every time, 400+.

Comment

Learn to crawl before you sign up for a marathon. As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now we’re REALLY gettin to the crux of things. We’re crawling, bending twigs, growing trees, smoke on!

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wise consul there Yoda

And WHY are the quote, comment, edit, flag, edit, like flags so cotton pickin BIG NOW! Yikes! 🕶

Comment

• sryoder
                  sryoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I noticed that too. Thought it was something I did on my computer. Guess not.
                  Last edited by sryoder; September 22, 2018, 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling error

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here