Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you had people push you to do more BBQ than you want to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you had people push you to do more BBQ than you want to do?

I'm just curious... I'm sure a good number of us have the line, "Man, this stuff is awesome! You should open a restaurant/BBQ stand/food truck/whatever!" Some have gone so far as to try to push the issue and really convince me.

I have heard this so many times I can't count, but my response is always to laugh it off and say it would take all the fun out of it. I really believe this is true, in my particular case. I have a job that I could never compete with monetarily, even if I opened my own restaurant and had other people running it. But of course, I think some of the biggest part of the challenge with a real restaurant is keeping up with the quality of the food I want to be able to put out, all while matching the quantity we would need to feed a crowd, PLUS having to keep that amount of food on hand and ready to go all the time.

In that way, I kind of envy the places that basically just do a lunch business and call it, "First Come, First Served," and once they run out, the day is over. If you can generate that kind of demand, you can cook as much or as little as you want. Or people who just take orders for a few items and deliver what people order.

But honestly, yesterday I did 13 racks of ribs in 2 small smokers, and the wife and I joined forces to make up 4 pans of "cowboy beans" and 4 pans of a knock off of Mexican eloté - we just do canned corn with mayonnaise and cotija cheese and sprinkle with paprika on the top.

Anyways, the point is, I was pretty wiped out. And I use pellet smokers, which are low-maintenance to cook on. Using the lid rack/rib rack things I learned about here, I can fit a ton more ribs in my smokers. So, 6 racks at a time standing up. But, with all the prep and a nap in the middle (), I sure don't want to do that every single day. And damn, I'd have to do ALOT more than that to run a restaurant or a food truck or whatever. You can't make anything close to resembling a profit even running a BBQ stand on the side of the road doing that kind of volume.

I know some of you guys here have actually parlayed your BBQ skills into a business, and my hat is off to you, truly, but for me, it's about the love, the joy, and being able to sit down and eat and enjoy with my friends and my family.

I firmly believe if I tried to make this into a commercial venture, it would probably suck all the joy out of it - at least for me. Any of you other guys feel the same? Or do you dream of turning this hobby into a living and becoming the next Aaron Franklin or Meathead? I'm just curious... there's no right or wrong here, we all have different priorities and goals, and that's ok! lol

I'm the same as you, and haven't been remotely tempted. Though it might beat the software business.

Comment

Fact is NOBODY who has owned a food service establishment or who has ran one with a parent has suggested I open a BBQ establishment.

It's always someone who has NO FREAKING CLUE!

My response: YOU open a BBQ restaurant and pay ME $90,000 to cook your BBQ

Comment

It really is sad that people try to monetize their hobbies so much. I think it is part of the problem with society, no one has anything to unwind with. If they do, they're pressured or feel they should sell it. ie Etsy.

Comment

I think to keep it a joy you must keep it a joy. If it is the once in awhile "big cook" there is a good deal of joy in that, but, tomorrow again & the next day etc. joy just flew out the window. For most of us keeping it small is joy. Who wants stress.

Comment

The day you have to perform your hobby to survive is the day it stops being a hobby and you start to dislike it.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said. Just a hobby and a necessity for me. Like an old boy told me years ago....ya gotta eat !!

My biggest argument is that if I bought the same quality of ingredients on a large scale, 90% of people wouldn't come close to wanting to pay what I would charge at a restaurant. I've always thought that better ingredients = better food. Even stuff you're supposed to use crappy quality beef...like Chinese Broccoli Beef...I'll make you the best you've ever had. But it isn't going to cost $14.95 for the entree I can guarantee that. In order to maximize profit I'd destroy my soul purchasing less than the best ingredients.

Comment

I'm luckier - people ask me to guide fishing trips and I do. I don't have to pre-fish / scout because it's not a business and sometimes guiding and telling stories while you drift is more fun than just me and the dog. He's heard all my stories...

If I was back on the coast doing a charter instead of a guide it would be completely different, and not fun.
            Last edited by JGo37; September 17, 2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

My next door neighbor has run a restaurant and bar for over 30 years. It is a large operation with over a hundred employees. He and his wife work at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. She leaves at 5AM and returns after dark. He leaves later and returns about 3AM. NO thank you! That is not a life I would ever want to live.

Comment

I've been hearing that since the early '80s. My response has always been that I'd have to be crazy to open a restaurant.

Comment

yea thats part of it
                  usually say "I have a life and don't want to give it up"

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't Can't imagine smoking meat 6-7 days a week. Urgghhhhh

I think pretty much all of us have had that suggested by well-meaning friends and family who just can't believe that backyard bbq can be so much better than restaurants. It has crossed my mind, but I'm like a lot of you who wouldn't want to ruin my hobby by making it a job. Keeping costs down/quality up and finding good help are the challenges I see right away. I do think there is a difference between pursuing your passion and having your hobby become a chore, and I'm not sure how to go about the former without getting tripped up with the latter. For now I'll just keep feeding the family, friends and neighbors, doing it pretty much on my own schedule, and letting them think I'm some kind of bbq superstar.

Comment

When I get that I tell them I can just teach them to make their own. Sometimes I’ll gift them meatheads book.

Comment

I’m a plumber had my own business and lost it with poor decisions. I play in band and I don’t wont go on the road what fun that wouldn’t be. I’ve only been cooking for 10 mouths and every Raves about my cooking. So I asked to cook the meat for abig wedding last month and that proved I darn sure don’t want that as job. Come to think of it I don’t want to be a plumber either

Comment

• Mosca
                        Mosca commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mattress tester. That's the job I want. You don't have to break the bank for me, I'll settle for $120k.

• Polarbear777
                        Polarbear777 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That wouldn’t be an honest job, you’d be lying all day.

The most I’d consider is a catering gig. Very select. Maybe 6x a year. No way to a restaurant or food truck!

Comment

• Thom Emery
                        Thom Emery commented
                        Editing a comment
                        we do two or three weddings and a few special events a year That makes it fun

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here