Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Good As Franklin's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Good As Franklin's

Had some friends over to share my first brisket cook on the new WSCG. One buddy remarked that it was as good as Franklin's. Blasphemy? Perhaps, but I'll take it. No pics of the finished product as I was feeding some hungry people, but I made a nice hash this morning with some of the meat and it was delicious. And thanks to fzxdoc (hoping all is well with her and our Carolina friends) I'm getting that cooker pretty dialed in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartacus brisket.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	566787

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hash.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	566788

Looks great! I probably said already but love your countertops!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hawk!!

I feel compelled to give another shout out to Henrik for his beef rub, all of my friends commented on how good it was. I tell them the secret is the Llama extract....

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That is great to hear! Those llamas are doing their thing, that’s for sure!

I NEED some of that hash!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, topped with a couple of over easy eggs, sooo good!!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Add hollandaise on top...

• Mudbeaver
      Mudbeaver commented
      Editing a comment
      Sunny side up for me, and some franks

Congrats.

Comment

Captain, what is that cooker, sir? If you’ve equalllwd franklin you have accomplished something my man!!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        It's the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...-grill-series/. Now whether I have equaled Franklin's is up to the beholder, but my friend is a pretty well-travelled foodie-type so I'll take it for what's it worth. BTW, I, and a few others on here, paid way less for our grills than Weber's advertised price.

I think the saying is true, "The best BBQ is in someone’s backyard."

Comment

I've had people tell me my stuff is better than so-and-so's or whatshisnames, etc. I just take it for a compliment, but I don't really get that into it. I guess the best place I've heard of around here (consistently) is Burn Co. BBQ in Tulsa, and I know if you don't get in line by like 10 AM, you ain't gettin' anything, is what I've heard. Never been there myself.

But I did have a friend who is a SERIOUS foodie (like me) and isn't afraid to shoot it straight tell me she had Burn Co. only the day before and she was blown away and thought my ribs were better. He 18 y/o son was with her, too, and he agreed, so I guess it was at least worth feeling a little good about.

But when people tell me I should open a restaurant or something, I just laugh.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          It is fun to do BBQ, but I think doing it for a living would take all the fun out of it. From my perspective restaurant work is long hours.

• SouthStreetBarbecue
          SouthStreetBarbecue commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt Opening a restaurant (or in my case, a food trailer) doesn't take the fun out of it. Definitely long hours and a lot of work, but the challenge is still there and the pleasure of watching others enjoy your food is definitely there.

I measure their compliments by do they come back for thirds ;0)

Comment

Congrats on that first briskie cook on your WSCGC, CaptainMike . Sounds like a winner. Did your temps stay nice and stable? How long did it take? Details, please!

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I did a pork but last week and it was kind of bouncy temp-wise. I discovered that one of the ambient probes slipped out of the holder and was lying on the grill. That threw the temps off and made me over-adjust. With the brisket it ran a steady 250ish for 10 hours with only a few tweaks. Opened it up post cook and it ran at 350 for another 2 hours at least. Wonderful cooker!!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            BTW, nice to see you posting. It looks like you made it through Florence alright.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to hear, CaptainMike . I hate those probe holders that can't spread far enough apart to get a good grip on the probe.

Things are pretty soggy here with flood concerns still, some trees down, and tons of leaf and limb debris but otherwise just fine. The storm turned north sooner than predicted for our area which was a blessing to us. So many are suffering in other parts of the state, though

Good job Captain. I'm sure Aaron Franklin would agree his product can be duplicated, just have to cook it right and add a little love. Bravo, wish I could see the end product however.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, you wish you could eat the end-product! I sure do!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I just came home from our local butcher shop with a nice 14 pounder so I'll take pics in a month or so. I also grabbed a picanha as well...

Yeah, no pics, but at least ya saved some for us in the skillet, nice!

Comment

Love the photo. Still looking forward to your review of it as a Pizza Oven.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe next week

Good to hear that Spartacus ran solid while smoking that hunk o' brisket, Mike. CaptainMike

The WSCG is so well insulated that it can rock on for hours after the cook. Sometimes I wish I had something else to feed it after my cook is over. Serial briskets, maybe?

K.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Or a chicken or two?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here