Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thawing a roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thawing a roast

I have a frozen 7# beef roast. I was thinking of vacuum sealing it and then thaw it in cool water. Should this be ok? Or should I just leave it in fridge?

I usually thaw sealed frozen meat in a bowl of cool water. I put the water bowl with the meat in it into the fridge where it will maintain a safe temp indefinitely. It will thaw much faster than just sticking the frozen meat in the fridge with no water.

Comment

How long you got? Cold water thawing is fine. Just monitor the water and keep it under 41 F.

Technically you could treat it like Staged Product and allow it to go no higher than 46.0 degrees Fahrenheit, but no longer than 2 hours.

At the 2-hour mark you really need to bring it back down below 41 degrees Fahrenheit.

Comment

My wife lets me do my thing with BBQ for the most part. However, thawing and temp are things she doesn't let me handle. She had too many college food science classes to let me argue. Jerod Broussard 's advice is right on. Because I don't like the arguments we sometimes have (my wife and I not Jerod. I never argue with Jerod.) I often go frozen to the smoker for large cuts. If you plan on cooking it in the next 5 days and you aren't too far past the "sell by" date I would just refrigerate it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here