Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there such a thing as.....

Meatless Brisket? Been racking my brains on a menu option for vegetarian customers, ideally one that can be smoked. Does anyone have a vegetarian meatloaf type recipe with mushroom, nuts, etc?

You might be on the wrong site for that request. Just kidding, hopefully someone with a similar problem will chime in soon

Comment

Look at recipes for vegan meatballs -- you could probably use the same recipe and turn it into a loaf. Meatball Shop in NYC has a very good vegan meatball that I suspect would hold smoke well and they sell a cookbook. One thing just to think about. Many vegetarians I know actually don't like a lot of smoke flavor because they associate it with meat.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke flavour ya brought up is an excellent point, well taken, an one which I had not even considered, previous, despite many years of institutionally preparin / cookin vegetarian entrees, an other dishes...

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes good point.

Click bait? Yes see the title of this thread.

Don’t pander to the not just meatless diet snobs of the world....

On another note go and google smoked watermelon... There is a video floating around the internet that some restaurant in NY was doing to pander to vegans and vegetarians.

Oh and don’t forget Jackfruit.
      Last edited by Nate; September 8, 2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Jackfruit, yes I saw that on a BBQ programme, looked great, not sure we would get it here though.

Some of these products would probably work, but I doubt they're available yet where you live. http://beyondmeat.com/

Comment

I think there is a root vegetable that is said to be a grilled meat substitute but it escapes me right now. I keep thinking of daikon but that's not it.

Comment

Seitan, which is basically wheat pounded out to leave the gluten, does well as a meat substitute. But, it's work to make it. I suppose you can buy it in places. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan...erfect-seitan/

Comment

I guess bacon doesn’t count as meatless?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Bacon - the gateway meat!

Yep EdF I have heard an Austin vegaterian was actually changed to a meat eater after eating a competition brisket.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Happened to me too. In my 20's I was macrobiotic for about 8 years. Went to a wedding and decided to have a steak. That was that.

I have made black bean burgers in the past that were surprisingly good. Not sure if that would transfer to a loaf product, though.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I love black beans!

How about vegetarian red beans and rice? We make it regularly and don't miss the meat at all ... never tried smoking it, though. It gets its smoky flavor from chipotles ...

Comment

Find new friends! Problem solved.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                That's right, nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life.

• MeatMonster
                MeatMonster commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL, that's one way to go, I'll make it my plan B if it is too difficult.

I haven't cooked a veggie roast, but I Googled it and found quite a few recipes that call for blended nuts as the base. I think this would be better for smoking than beans or veggies that can absorb the smoke at low temps and come out tasting pretty bad.

Comment

Jack fruit

Comment

Black beans, lentils, an finely grated carrots also come to my mind, as things that I have utilized in veggie burgers, as directed...

Leave us not fergit tofu, an hydrolyzed vegetable protein... link link

All are things which, in receipts I was directed to prepare, can be included in vegetarian meat alternative burgers / loaves / dishes...

My feelins bout any of it are irrelevant, an I make no claims...

Jus tryin to provide some ingredients...

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cheerios, Rice Crispies, & Corn Flakes are good ingredients. 🤓

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent binders/ fortifiers, indeed!
                    I've often also used eggses, to help tie everything together, but have also run into some dietetic restrictions, when preparin food stuff fer non ovo-lactarian vegetarians...in those cases, I've utilized EVOO, veg oil, etc., vs eggses...

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here