Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the default hot and fast temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the default hot and fast temperature?

If the default low and slow temperature is 225 what is it for hot and fast? 275? Higher? Incidentally, I have two chuck roasts rolling at 250 right now.

The BGE folks talk about "turbo" cooked stuff ... in the 325 - 350 range. Check out the egghead forum.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously? To me, it was 700F steaks!

325 - 350f that's close to chicken temps.

Comment

275 to 325 ish is where we run

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Thom Emery The 275 temp, is that because of time when you are at competitions or is it more efficient? And do you do that with all (22) of your smokers? That range is the PBC temp range.

• Thom Emery
        Thom Emery commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim we usually drop meat in to whatever we are cooking on at 325 ish then it adjusts to 275 ish
        Every cooker is different

I think that term is relative to what you're cooking. Brisket or chicken? "Hot & fast" to me implies something different than the norm, so If I cook a brisket or a pork butt at 300 or 325, I'd say that was hot & fast. When cooking chicken you don't typically call it "hot & fast", you most likely would call it normal chicken/poultry temps. Much like I wouldn't consider 55mph 'fast', although it's a lot faster than going 25mph through town.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        With my Primo XL and controller, I can set any temp and it holds it perfectly. Before having that cooker it was trickier and took more skill. I had gone from 225 to 235 and now find myself dialing in 250 while wondering if I should go higher.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack. Experiment! I am favoring a little higher on ribs lately (275ish) per a recommendation from CandySueQ. I did some hot & fast brisket (300ish) and didn't care for the more jerky-like bark but the quicker cook times were nice.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I did some ribs at 275° last Sunday, an they come out purty decent...I don't consider that hot n fast, though...

For low-n-slow cooks I always considered hot and fast to be in the 300* range. Normal low-n-slow would be in the 225* range.

For chicken my normal is 400*.I guess I would consider hot and fast chicken in the 475* range.

Comment

This is probably no help at all, but in trying to dial in the new WSCG I tried a L&S cook with some boneless beef short ribs. In my inexperience with this cooker it initially ran for an hour at 325-360. I kept fiddling with it, but never got it below 250°. Finally pulled the little buggers when they hit around 200 IT and they were, according to my most important critic, "fantastic". They were really good, and while I figured they'd be ruined, they were not. There was a bunch of coals and heat left so I plopped a spatchcoked yardbird on and cooked it at 400ish until done. While I understand and respect the subtleties of bark formation and collagen rendering, I'm skeptical, within reason, of ambient cooking temperatures being more relevant than internal temperatures. Just my two cents whist enjoying an evening martini.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          It will take a few cooks to tighten everything up with some good grease. You will find that this beast will run for three days at 225 once she settles in.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Lonnie mac, I know still have a learning curve with this beauty, but I also know when she's dialed in it will the best cooker I've ever had.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here