Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Hops?

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I have an interesting question. We recently had a hops growing contest at work. (Yes, it is a great place to work.) The discussion came up ways to roast the hops. I mentioned the idea of tossing them in my WSM. After a brief search in these forums I don't see much on the topic. Is this something that is just not done, or not thought of? I have about a half gallon ziplock bag I can experiment with.

I don't think I want to add too much, if any wood. I was thinking let the WSM infuse its "essence" in to them. Interested in hearing any ideas.

I can't help, but I suggest you hop to it.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      👎

Smoked many grains in my brewing but never hops.

Comment

What made you think you could start a beer discussion in a BBQ forum? (just askin')...

I think smoked hops are usually made by short exposure over an open flame and are more of a roast hop than a smoked hop. This would be fun to experiment with. Maybe someone here knows the organic chemistry impacts resultant from smoking malt - maybe a cold smoke? If there's nothing available on this I'd try brewing with a cold smoked hop first, and I would add wood. Maybe a fruit tree source? Endless here - I think you'll end up with a craft brewery.

Comment

I found this:

This website is for sale! nchomebrewing.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nchomebrewing.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 - Sierra Nevada brewery is located here in Chico. I looked at their site and saw that they smoke some malts but nothing about the hops. I liked the article I found. Some day I have to try my hand at brewing something.

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent article. But I guess it's something new. "Without using a single oz of smoked malt", smoking malt is so easy and the possibilities are endless really. Guess it may be just something to see if it could be done?

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome link, thank you!

Check homebrewtalk.com if you haven't already, but tbob4 found a pretty good article. Exactly what I was thinking, you'd want to smoke at the lowest temp possible in order to not isomerize the oils. I think an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker would be best for something like this, or a cheese smoking setup.

Comment

I think you'd totally destroy the lupulin in the hops when you try to smoke it. That is the only reason hops are used, the green plant itself offers mostly nothing. For that reason, I'd stick to smoking malt.

Comment

So as it stands now I ordered one of these guys. The plan is to still use the WSM but I may use the Performer only because it's easier to get to on my upper deck than the WSM which is ground level. If I did it on the Performer that would be a good excuse to also get a SnS, lol. Decisions, decisions... The guys here want me to use the Jack Daniels wood chips that I have.\

This is all going to go down on Saturday or Sunday so we have a little bit of time in case anyone has any last minute suggestions! 😁

Comment

Originally posted by minnbrewer View Post
              I think you'd totally destroy the lupulin in the hops when you try to smoke it. That is the only reason hops are used, the green plant itself offers mostly nothing. For that reason, I'd stick to smoking malt.
              I didn't realize the Lupa Lupas would be affected by smoking, they don't know how to use rolling papers anyway

Comment

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't know how? I thought they invented them. "Wonka Wrappers"

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                True, but that was for chocolate not hops

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here