Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvisation

I love recipes, methods, and techniques, but, as often as not, I wing it. Maybe more often than not, but it rarely sucks. Times, temps, ingredients, (except baking) are guidelines, not truths. What say ya"ll?

I agree. I try new ways of doin' old things, and new things too. I'll also look online at a number of recipes to make something, and then just pick the parts of several recipes that I like.

Comment

That’s the way I roll

Comment

I feel you. Sometimes I just mime a cook on an imaginary grill. 🙂

Comment

I agree with that -- some of my favorite "tricks" have been the result of improvisations (or, let's be honest, just plain screw ups that worked out well).

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
            I love recipes, methods, and techniques, but, as often as not, I wing it. Maybe more often than not, but it rarely sucks. Times, temps, ingredients, (except baking) are guidelines, not truths. What say ya"ll?
            Agreed. I’ll do things like measure by weight when baking or mixing bulk ingredients like rubs (‘cause I’m lazy and it makes cleanup easier). Other than that it’s pretty much all by taste and "feel".

Comment

Yup, as above...

Every cook is different, so improvisation is, imho, a necessary culinary skill to nurture, an develop...

Comment

Yep, Im a ‘wing man’ for sure. That’s how I discover new ways, some of them even reusable:-)

Comment

I try to go with what I remembered from reading a recipe, unless it is for someone else

Comment

I agree with the posts above. I do save and use a lot of recipes but pretty much "wing it" thru them----except in baking bread.

Comment

I have a kind a basic master mix rub that I mix in large quantities and then use it as a base to which I add other spices to pitch it in a specific direction like southwestern, Cajun, Mexican, or a sweet Memphis rib bub.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I really like this idea.

I have not grown or cooked my wings yet.....

Comment

Yup. I just do stuff.

But I am not exactly very "organized". Never have been.

Comment

I do a fair amount of improvisation, but the first time I try a new recipe I usually try to follow it pretty precisely, and then from there start tweaking and changing. I like to know that if its not great the first time that it wasn't because I didn't pay attention.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                            Dan Deter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I suppose I should mention that I try to put the tools in my shop back where they go also....

• CaptainMike
                            CaptainMike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hahaha, so does my wife. NOT!

I am like Dan- most of the time I start with the recipe as written. Then I get off script.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here