Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just trying ta drum up some business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just trying ta drum up some business

since I’m on vacation this week I decided to drum up some business ventures and follow up on a sample for a well known auto store. I decided to do a little cook and spread it around.
    Well it started good and well ended good. Except I bought coulotte angus piece of 11 lbs instead of a brisket. Guess they mixed it in with the angus briskets and I didn’t catch it till I got home. Oh well I’ll just cook that this weekend. Anyhoo did get 22 lbs of pork shoulder and 5 racks of ribs 2 which was slc and 3 being baby backs also got 24 chicken legs that I season and wrap in bacon then add a peach sauce to. Was gonna make 3 sauces but, well time goes fast when yer watch a smoker. Was only able to do 2
    everything was prepped except for the chicken and the sauces. Put the butts on at 530 am. Now not only was this for samples this was also to get an average of how long for everything for the catering that I’ve started.
    Lots of food. Let’s see who can I give it to when it’s done. The auto place, the guy at work that’s begging for some, the auto body guy that has helped me thru the years and oh yeah the farmer who sells his produce down the road where I buy a lot of his produce (eggs,jalapeños, onions etc). I’ve alread asked him to set up and bring in customers but he is having neighbors problems complaining to city ordinances etc so he is a lil Leary. Oh well he would appreciate a lil bbq to take home. ( it always Taste better when it’s free)
    oh forgot the corn chips made with peanut oil.
    So started the butts prepared the chicken started the sauces. Running back and forth etc. boy that wsm held its own. Got the 5 racks down and in but I put that and the chicken on to soon (lesson noted in book) the chicken use to take 3 hours, now is only 2. Stuffed those in the oven on 170 to hold and sauce later. Oops put the ribs on to soon also. Stuffed those in the oven also to hold. (I need a bigger oven).
    The butts never rd stalled. Was waiting for them to but never did. Was getting worried time wise. (Auto store I told em around 4, the guy from work had to be at work at 5, the painter closes at 5 and don’t know if the farmer is even open today. I’ll give it a shot.
    Needless to say, when I got my grove on it went by real fast. The chicken finished before my sauce did so I made that sauce first. Then started the other. 2 pm came and I was real nervous about the butt. They never stalled so I didn’t crutch em and let em go. Got everything gathered to gether so when the butts were done I could Cambro and go.
    Decided to run to the guy from work first since he lived the furthest away (25 mins 1 way) then the auto place then the painters then the farmer. That hour in Cambro would be good enough for the auto place. I proved the meat at 189 and wow the probe slide in like a fat man on a wet n wild water slide covered in oil.
    Now im off and running. Text the guy from work, nothing. Called, nothing. Man he better be home. Well he wasn’t. Banged on his door nothing. ( now I told him before I went on vacation that I was gonna cook him something and he was happy bout it. I left my business card in his door to prove I was at his house. Off to the auto place.
    I got there a few minutes late and delivered. They loved the "little" bit I gave em 6 legs 1 1/2 racks of ribs, 8 lbs of butt 2 sauces tray of chips and buns. They liked it so much they scheduled me for the 20 of this month to do a customer appreciation day that they have.
    Now as I’m in the auto store, the auto painter walks in and I called him to tell him to wait at his shop that I’ll be over before 5 before he closes. Well he needed oil for a machine and ran down to the store. I finished up and told him I was heading to his shop to deliver food to him.
    Got to his shop and one of his employee said he’ll be back. I explained to him I saw him and he’ll be back in about 10 mins. Got all the food out and when he got back, they tore into it. They were in heaven. They have never had bbq like this. Jumped in the truck and off I went headed to the farmers.
    Got to the produce stand 5 mins to closing time. The farmer hires local kids to run the produce stand then comes to close up for the day. I asked the kid when was the owner gonna be around he told me 10 mins. Perfect. Set up and asked the kid if he was hungry. Yes he was. Well I explained what I was doing and opened up the tray of ribs and his eyes lite up. I thought he was gonna eat the bone to. He was in heaven. Another person that has never had this type of bbq. He jumped on his phone, called the farmer and told him the bbq guy is here with some food. (The farmer was right around the corner). He gets outta his truck and says to me. Well you sure are one hell of a sales man. I told him I had food and decided to share. I know of his problems and I didn’t bring it to push him, just as a friendly jester for selling his produce. I then explained his produce makes my sauces. He tried to pay me for another 5 lbs of pulled pork 1 1/2 racks of ribs chips chicken. I refused. He then told me to be ready at the end of the month cause he is gonna let me caterer out at his site. He called his wife an told her not to make dinner cause he was bringing home bbq.
    Thats what it’s all about folks. Cooking and making other people happy. That’s why I bbq.
    Until the next adventure.....in the meantime I’ll be cleaning up and go at it again.
    Ps...I’ll deliver the food to the guy from work tomorrow...it’ll be cold, but he’ll understand.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	64AE5DCB-D001-4DD6-940C-DC90B9BE69A0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.87 MB ID:	556618
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DB46478E-EB2F-47E6-9A2A-9BDBFEABD5EF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	556620
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0CB8DAB0-46AE-4612-9AEB-A10DFC227F8E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	556621
    Click image for larger version  Name:	99593930-5928-4E0A-82CD-FB7B1F7329C2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	5.12 MB ID:	556622
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EB434016-FAB6-4767-BD3B-921254E915BA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	556619

So there’s a Napa here in marathon........

Comment

Close but not Napa

Comment

That's what I love, a good short story. You're making more people happy than you think...

Comment

Man, that sounds like a wonderful day, spreadin th Love, an Good Word of BBQ!!!
          My beloved Cowboy Hat is duly doffed, in yer direction, Brother!
          Smoke On!!!!

Comment

What a day!

Comment

Great story. Sounds like everyone enjoyed the fruits of your labor.

Comment

"I proved the meat at 189 and wow the probe slide in like a fat man on a wet n wild water slide covered in oil."

Now that is the correct use of the English language

Comment

Lol the only thing was a typo. Meant ta say I probed the meat and read 189. I knew it was done by the smell and the looks at it. Gotta love the auto spell on these devices.
                  I believe I was very descriptive and accurate about the rest

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here