Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and Fast Brisket on Yoder YS640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and Fast Brisket on Yoder YS640

I am new to the Pit and wanting to get some insight on what seems to be the new "craze" around hot and fast brisket. Many videos and online articles around this and it seems like a lot of success on the comp circuit with this style. I would love to hear about any and all successes/ learnings/ recipes, especially when using a pellet grill (ie YS640). Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kloeffl1; August 26, 2018, 09:50 AM.

As you say it's becoming more prevalent on both the comp and backyard scenes but a lot of that is largely due to time. Pitmasters in restaurants, for example, don't have 12-14 hours to get product to the table so they have traditionally gone hot and fast. Aaron Franklin goes 275* and I talked with one of the pitmasters at Black's in Lockhart and they don't temp their cooks (they do it by sight and feel) but run their pits above 300* for the same reason. They turn product in about 6-7 hours.

What I've found (I run a steady 250* myself) is that hot and fast doesn't produce the deep rich taste and bark that a slower cook does. But again, if you want brisket in 6-8 hours versus 10-12 then give it a try !!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I agree, The biggest problem with hot n fast is it cuts down your drinking time dramatically.
      I use hot in fast for my cooking classes to have brisket ready to eat in 5 hours (300-325f).
      Personally I would rather be at home nursing a beer and cooking at 250F

Some info on brisket on the 640.

Did my first brisket on the Yoder YS640 last night. Cooked a 19.8lb Prime brisket from Costco. Came to 13.3lbs after trimming. Injected 24 hours earlier

Comment

• Kloeffl1
      Kloeffl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link!

I did a 300-325 brisket couple weeks ago. Shaved several hours but I don't remember my total off hand. I wanna say 8 (including 2 hr faux cambro hold) instead of my very usual 12. My only complaint was the bark was tougher, as you might expect. Even with wrapping. I do NOT like a tough chewy crumbly bark, and that's what I got. Aside from that, the internals seemed identical, stayed juicy as near as I can recall my others.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s interesting, Huskee. I do all my cooks In hot and fast (albeit I do it on my Kettle, not a pellet cooker) and never had tough, chewy bark. When are you wrapping, if I may ask? I spritz my brisket with water every so often and wrap when I get the color I want (which is usually around 160).

• Kloeffl1
      Kloeffl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Really appreciate the insight here. Ultimate goal I am shooting for is replicating the Franklin/ La Barbeque brisket on a smaller pit scale (i.e. Yoder YS640). Gotta love the constant challenge to reach that "Holy Grail" of briskets---trial and a LOTTA error!!!

I do almost everything at 275 and never had any complaints.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. I try to keep my temps no lower than 275 and no higher than ~350. Some go even higher.

I prefer to relax and take it easy, 225

Comment

I think that MOST competition cooks are using waygu or better briskets, which benefit from hot & fast cooking.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus with all the tenderness and marbling, they take less time no matter what the temp you're cooking at. Even prime never takes me longer than 8+2 hours at my 250* with an internal rarely over 200*.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here