Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Prices

Could not find a thread on this. Every week I search the grocery circulars for good prices on meat. If I find a sale on something I will stock up the freezer for future cooking.
    What does everyone else do for finding deals?

Im in the southern Milwaukee area. Piggly Wiggly occasionally has meat sales that are good and thats my usual go to place. The meat seems to be good quality.

Whole chickens are $0.69/lb in Oak Creek so I will be stocking up. Expires today though.

Anyone else have any deals to share?
    Meat type, price and location. Expiration date too.

If there is already a thread on this, a hyperlink would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by WICKSTICK83; August 21, 2018, 09:18 AM.

I do the same. When I see things on sale I stock up and freeze.

Comment

I’m fortunate to be able to purchase through a food service company. Last case of pork butts was $1.27lb which is cheap around here. Local grocery store sale price is $1.66lb.

Whats also nice is i is I can get virtually anything through them. 98 ounce frozen Stouffers Mac and Cheese trays are $10 or $40 for a case of 4. I use that as a base for my smoked Mac and cheese.

If you have a local food service company contact them and see if you can’t get hooked up.

Comment

I also take a look at certain flyers but with an emphasis on quality of meat. I tend to avoid the cheapest meat and meat where the origin is a mystery.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep quality is always more important than price. Good point!

Further on what Mr. Frozen Smoke said: Sometimes the foodservice suppliers may have a store at their warehouse open to the public. A local Sysco warehouse has one where the quality of meats and seafood is excellent and the prices there are very good.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point sir! The one I’m working with now used to have a outlet store but closed it a number of years ago. Maybe the got tighter control of inventory or something. My inside sales person will call me from time to time with a hot deal on something a customer ordered and never took receipt of for some reason or other.

I do check two flyers but also depends on what I want to cook I have a few butchers that will cut me up fresh on anything I want. They were happy as h$#ll to cut me 2 5 inch thick chuck roast a little while back. Also have a poultry butcher that always has jumbo wings in stock if I want them. In ohio so my prices wont help you much

Comment

My local Kroger stores have the nicest chuck roasts in the area, and they go on sale for ~ $3.50/lb about every few weeks. I just always check the meat dept anytime I'm in the store.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too, you have to pass the Bourbon to end up at the discounted dated meat bin. A nice trip that always is to my Ralph's (owned by Kroger) and $3.99lbs for Choice chuck when on sale.

I check flyers every week, looking for quality and low price, such as Aldi's, for fresh pork and beef. I usually buy frozen poultry - over the weekend I smoked a couple Cornish game hens, now I'm looking for a Capon. One of the local Schnuck's - not the closest by any means - always stocks Cowboys. Expensive neighborhood - the kind of store that also has several choices > $ 100.00 bottles of wine.

I didn't see anyone mention livestock. I have friends that graze cattle and raise pigs, and they're very selective about sourcing. I guess it's unrated meat, and would be 'Standard' grade but I know where they graze, how they're fed... The ranchers always split the cuts for us between a handful. I don't yet have the room to take a side, or whole pig. Reminds me of how Mexican free-range beef tastes, which I really like.

The Bull Shed in Kauai is still, as I remember, the best Tomahawk I've had. Grazed right outside the window.

Comment

Not much fluctuation here. Run-of-the-mill full packers have been a $1.96/lb forever. If a $3.98/lb Angus gets dropped down to $2.25/lb I'll grab some of that. This all at wolly world. All other places in town charging around $3/lb for plain packers.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. You really have some place called "Wolly World?"

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Largest retailer on earth......maybe causes cancer in Cali so you don't get one? HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              smokenoob LMAO!!!!

Mostly, I just go to one store, and what's on sale or what looks good gets bought. Lately, I've been checking out the Whole Foods app, to see if they have anything I want on Prime discount, which will make me go there. As I've been going more "paleo," I'm buying less commodity pork and chicken. I'm fine with larger producers of beef, as I have it on good authority that grass fed might be a bit more healthful, but not THAT much more so. Raising chickens well, on the other hand, large gap. Same with pork.

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been doing the paleo eating lifestyle for six years now. My body really can't tell the difference between grass fed and regular meats. My money clip does!

Check out Aldi's. Here in the Midlands of South Carolina, there is sale weekly. Last week Swift's Premium SLC's were $1.79/lb. The Piggly Wiggly here regularly has Boston Butts on sale for $1.27/lb and during holiday season, it's $1.00/lb or BOGO free. SC -gotta love it!! I usually check out the sale papers every week, but the Go To for Prime is still Costco - $3.39/lb for whole Prime packer briskets

Comment

Originally posted by WICKSTICK83 View Post
              Could not find a thread on this.
              We've got a whole subforum on special limited time deals. Last winter I posted 99 cents per pound butts at Winn Dixie and the other day I posted a digital coupon for $5 off Kingsford briquettes at a wholesale club.

Comment

• WICKSTICK83
                WICKSTICK83 commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome!!! Thanks for the link. I will be taking advantage.

The United Supermarket Chain has a store in Amarillo, Tx called Amigos. Two weeks before every major holiday they have cryo-vaced ribeye loins for $4.97 per pound and New York strip loins for $3.97 per pound. They didn’t care if I dug around looking for the ones I wanted. After wet ageing they were great. Some of the packages said produced, processed, and packaged in Mexico. I didn't care, they were just incredible steaks.

Comment

I pay about u$d 2.50 lb ($5kg) for whole grass fed briskets here in Buenos Aires

Comment

I shop at 6 grocery chains. All about 1.5 miles from my house in either direction. Plus the "Beef Palace."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here