Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Meat Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WICKSTICK83
    Club Member
    • Jul 2018
    • East Troy, WI

Meat Prices

Could not find a thread on this. Every week I search the grocery circulars for good prices on meat. If I find a sale on something I will stock up the freezer for future cooking.
    What does everyone else do for finding deals?

Im in the southern Milwaukee area. Piggly Wiggly occasionally has meat sales that are good and thats my usual go to place. The meat seems to be good quality.

Whole chickens are $0.69/lb in Oak Creek so I will be stocking up. Expires today though.

Anyone else have any deals to share?
    Meat type, price and location. Expiration date too.

If there is already a thread on this, a hyperlink would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by WICKSTICK83; August 21, 2018, 09:18 AM.
  • JeffJ
    Charter Member
    • Feb 2015
    • Michigan
    • Jeff

I do the same. When I see things on sale I stock up and freeze.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Club Member
      • Nov 2017
      • Northern Mn

I’m fortunate to be able to purchase through a food service company. Last case of pork butts was $1.27lb which is cheap around here. Local grocery store sale price is $1.66lb.

Whats also nice is i is I can get virtually anything through them. 98 ounce frozen Stouffers Mac and Cheese trays are $10 or $40 for a case of 4. I use that as a base for my smoked Mac and cheese.

If you have a local food service company contact them and see if you can’t get hooked up.

Comment

• Attjack
        Club Member
        • Aug 2017
        • Primo XL
          Weber 26"
          Weber 22"
          Weber 22"
          Weber 18"
          Weber Jumbo Joe
          Weber Green Smokey Joe (Thanks, Mr. Bones!)
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Orion Smoker

DigiQ DX2
          Slow 'N Sear XL
          Arteflame 26.75" Insert

Blaze BLZ-4-NG 32-Inch 4-Burner Built-In
          - With Rear Infrared Burner
          - With Infrared Sear Burner
          - With Rotisserie
          Empava 2 Burner Gas Cooktop
          Weber Spirit 210
          - With Grillgrates
          ​​​​​​​ - With Rotisserie
          Weber Q2200

Blackstone Pizza Oven

Portable propane burners (3)
          Propane turkey Fryer

Fire pit grill

I also take a look at certain flyers but with an emphasis on quality of meat. I tend to avoid the cheapest meat and meat where the origin is a mystery.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep quality is always more important than price. Good point!
      • Donw
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017

Further on what Mr. Frozen Smoke said: Sometimes the foodservice suppliers may have a store at their warehouse open to the public. A local Sysco warehouse has one where the quality of meats and seafood is excellent and the prices there are very good.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point sir! The one I’m working with now used to have a outlet store but closed it a number of years ago. Maybe the got tighter control of inventory or something. My inside sales person will call me from time to time with a hot deal on something a customer ordered and never took receipt of for some reason or other.
      • customtrim
        Former Member
        • Dec 2016
        • stow ohio

I do check two flyers but also depends on what I want to cook I have a few butchers that will cut me up fresh on anything I want. They were happy as h$#ll to cut me 2 5 inch thick chuck roast a little while back. Also have a poultry butcher that always has jumbo wings in stock if I want them. In ohio so my prices wont help you much

Comment

• Steve R.
          Club Member
          • Jul 2016
          • Elizabethtown, KY
          • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

My local Kroger stores have the nicest chuck roasts in the area, and they go on sale for ~ $3.50/lb about every few weeks. I just always check the meat dept anytime I'm in the store.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too, you have to pass the Bourbon to end up at the discounted dated meat bin. A nice trip that always is to my Ralph's (owned by Kroger) and $3.99lbs for Choice chuck when on sale.
        • JGo37
          Club Member
          • Apr 2018
          • the LOU
          • Cookers:

22" Blackstone Griddle, with stand & hood
            CharGriller Portable Firebox - so modified you'll BLOL
            Kitchenaid #810 Charcoal Grill - highly modified
            Weber BI-code Black Performer w/Igniter
            Weber DE-code Red Limited - 'Lucille'

Accessories:

Ancient heavy CI Propane Turkey Fryer, for lighting chimneys
            BBQ Dragon kettle shelves - 2
            Fyre Dragon Kettle Drippin' Ring, Burnin' Cone & Drippin' Pan - 2 sets
            Fyre Dragon Kettle Ribbin' Ring
            Fyre Dragon Kettle 2-Zone Smokin' Sheet
            OneGrill Rotisserie for the Kitchenaid
            Smokenator
            Smoking Tubes: 2x12" & 1x6"
            SnS
            Weber Gourmet Grill w/Griddle, Pizza Stone & Wok

My Helpers:

Anova 900W Sous Vide Cooker w/Radios
            Instant Pot 6Q Duo
            Nesco Tabletop Roaster
            & the PIT!

I check flyers every week, looking for quality and low price, such as Aldi's, for fresh pork and beef. I usually buy frozen poultry - over the weekend I smoked a couple Cornish game hens, now I'm looking for a Capon. One of the local Schnuck's - not the closest by any means - always stocks Cowboys. Expensive neighborhood - the kind of store that also has several choices > $ 100.00 bottles of wine.

I didn't see anyone mention livestock. I have friends that graze cattle and raise pigs, and they're very selective about sourcing. I guess it's unrated meat, and would be 'Standard' grade but I know where they graze, how they're fed... The ranchers always split the cuts for us between a handful. I don't yet have the room to take a side, or whole pig. Reminds me of how Mexican free-range beef tastes, which I really like.

The Bull Shed in Kauai is still, as I remember, the best Tomahawk I've had. Grazed right outside the window.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            • Jun 2014
            • East Texas
            • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
              Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
              Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
              Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
              Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
              Weber Smokey Joe Gold
              Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
              Vortex
              Maverick ET-732 White
              Maverick ET-732 Copper
              2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
              Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
              Thermoworks Timestick
              Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
              B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
              B & B Pellets

Not much fluctuation here. Run-of-the-mill full packers have been a $1.96/lb forever. If a $3.98/lb Angus gets dropped down to $2.25/lb I'll grab some of that. This all at wolly world. All other places in town charging around $3/lb for plain packers.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. You really have some place called "Wolly World?"

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Largest retailer on earth......maybe causes cancer in Cali so you don't get one? HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              smokenoob LMAO!!!!
          • Potkettleblack
            Club Member
            • Jun 2016
            • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
            • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
              Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
              For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
              Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
              Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

Mostly, I just go to one store, and what's on sale or what looks good gets bought. Lately, I've been checking out the Whole Foods app, to see if they have anything I want on Prime discount, which will make me go there. As I've been going more "paleo," I'm buying less commodity pork and chicken. I'm fine with larger producers of beef, as I have it on good authority that grass fed might be a bit more healthful, but not THAT much more so. Raising chickens well, on the other hand, large gap. Same with pork.

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been doing the paleo eating lifestyle for six years now. My body really can't tell the difference between grass fed and regular meats. My money clip does!
          • OmegaDog12
            Club Member
            • Aug 2016

Check out Aldi's. Here in the Midlands of South Carolina, there is sale weekly. Last week Swift's Premium SLC's were $1.79/lb. The Piggly Wiggly here regularly has Boston Butts on sale for $1.27/lb and during holiday season, it's $1.00/lb or BOGO free. SC -gotta love it!! I usually check out the sale papers every week, but the Go To for Prime is still Costco - $3.39/lb for whole Prime packer briskets

Comment

• N227GB
              Club Member
              • Feb 2018
              • Fort Myers, FL

Originally posted by WICKSTICK83 View Post
              Could not find a thread on this.
              We've got a whole subforum on special limited time deals. Last winter I posted 99 cents per pound butts at Winn Dixie and the other day I posted a digital coupon for $5 off Kingsford briquettes at a wholesale club.

Comment

• WICKSTICK83
                WICKSTICK83 commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome!!! Thanks for the link. I will be taking advantage.
            • Oak Smoke
              Club Member
              • Aug 2018
              • Central Texas

The United Supermarket Chain has a store in Amarillo, Tx called Amigos. Two weeks before every major holiday they have cryo-vaced ribeye loins for $4.97 per pound and New York strip loins for $3.97 per pound. They didn’t care if I dug around looking for the ones I wanted. After wet ageing they were great. Some of the packages said produced, processed, and packaged in Mexico. I didn't care, they were just incredible steaks.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Club Member
                • Oct 2015
                • Pilar Buenos Aires, Argentina

I pay about u$d 2.50 lb ($5kg) for whole grass fed briskets here in Buenos Aires

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  Club Member
                  • May 2016
                  • Huntington Beach, Ca. Surf City USA.
                  • Equipment
                    Primo Oval xl

Slow n Sear (two)
                    Drip n Griddle
                    22" Weber Kettle
                    26" Weber Kettle one touch
                    Blackstone 36” Pro Series
                    Sous vide machine
                    Kitchen Aid
                    Meat grinder
                    sausage stuffer
                    5 Crock Pots
                    Akootrimonts
                    Two chimneys (was 3 but rivets finally popped, down to 1)
                    cast iron pans,
                    Dutch ovens
                    Signals 4 probe, thermapens, chef alarms, Dots, thermapop and maverick T-732, RTC-600, pro needle and various pocket instareads.
                    The help and preferences
                    1 extra fridge and a deep chest freezer in the garage
                    KBB
                    FOGO
                    A 9 year old princess foster child
                    Patience and old patio furniture
                    "Baby Girl" The cat

Erik S.

I shop at 6 grocery chains. All about 1.5 miles from my house in either direction. Plus the "Beef Palace."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                  Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                  The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                  The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                  The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                  We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                  GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                  The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                  This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                  A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                  FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                  Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                  Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order