Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt help

Brand new masterbuilt propane smoker. Put a 8 lbs pork butt on top shelf yesterday at 430pm its now 915am. So 17 hours and only at 180°. I can get temp in smoker to be either about 215°or 260° so ive went with cooler temp. How long is too long? Any other advice?

My first butt took 18 hours. The last Hour or so in the oven to bring it to 203. And it was worth the wait! You want to be "probe tender" more than to hit a specific temp. Use a probe like a instant read thermometer if you have one and push it into the meat. If it's like pushing into butter your done.

At 180 you're probably still too low to be probe tender. If you're running out of patience you could put in the oven at 280 to bring the temp up.

Let's see some pics when you're done!

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

By the way, 260 degrees is fine for pork butt.

Comment

I would go with 260, the pork butt can take the heat. Smoking at 215 is going to take quite a long time. But it’s done when it’s done.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I think 215 is too low unless you want a really long cook. I don't Know your cooker but I routinely cook 10# Boston Butts at a dome temperature of 225 on my BGE for 12-14 hours to an internal temperature of 200. You might want to check your thermometer since built in ones are routinely inaccurate with a few exceptions. The cheaper the more likely it will be inaccurate.

Comment

Once you get to 180 and the bark is formed, it's simply a matter of how long you want to let it go. I usually wrap in foil at that point (no liquid added) and git 'er done. The time saved can then be spent holding at 150+ in the cooler or oven.

Comment

Definitely wrap it in foil, raise the temp and when it gets to 203 put it in the faux cambro wrapped in towel for a few hours.

Comment

Yeah I'd definitely ramp up to 260, pork shoulder can handle that easy. 260 and Bring it home! enjoy!

Comment

The best advice for me is.. "do not cook with a watch, cook with a thermometer". Cook to 190-200F, rest wrapped in foil/butcher paper and in cooler for an hour and the pull. Mouth watering results.

Comment

I cut my butts in two, smoked at 250-260, probe tender in 6-7 hours! I’m holding them in a Cambro now!

Comment

start early, crutch late, probe tender, hold long.

Comment

Well after 23 hours it is done and amazingly moist and shredded with my bear claws like butter. I just need a little more time with the smoker trying to find the sweet spot. I am definitely doing the Crutch next time. Now when I do brisket what temp range do i need to shoot at?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I routinely run my smoker at 250F-270F and don’t have any problems with pork butt or brisket. Always moist and tender. The main thing is to know your pit. Even at those higher temps my pork butt takes 14+ hours.

Comment

• Irishfuente
                              Irishfuente commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ok good. This makes me feel less anxious

Well Irishfuente you really hurt our feelings there, all 10,000+ of us, yup, ya really did. Ya asked for help before you said HI. It’s OK, we’ll let it slide this time. Welcome, eat good & have fun.

Comment

• Irishfuente
                              Irishfuente commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I apologize thank you for forgiving me

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here