Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about reverse searing in the oven, then cooling off in the fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about reverse searing in the oven, then cooling off in the fridge

Hello all. Cooking a bunch of food Saturday night and looking to get as much done beforehand. One of the things I'm cooking for people are porterhouse pork chops (just salt, pepper, and crushed fennel seed). Usually (after seasoning), I would go 225 until I hit a few degrees under the desired temperature in the oven, then finish off with high heat on the grill to get a crust. To save time on Saturday, can I cook the chops to temp in the oven the day before, then cool them off in the fridge? Then on Saturday, just take them out of the fridge and throw them on the grill to get the crust? As always, thanks for all the help.

Sure, but be sure to get them pretty well chilled down before the fridge. Normally this kind of approach would be used with SV. Do you have vacuum sealer so you could put them in ice water before the fridge? I've never tried it with ziplocs, so I'd be hesitant to recommend that. You just want to get them cold fast for safety reasons, and to not mess up the temps in your fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
      Sure, but be sure to get them pretty well chilled down before the fridge. Normally this kind of approach would be used with SV. Do you have vacuum sealer so you could put them in ice water before the fridge? I've never tried it with ziplocs, so I'd be hesitant to recommend that. You just want to get them cold fast for safety reasons, and to not mess up the temps in your fridge.
      I don't have a vacuum sealer. I have a sous vide and use ziplocs for that. I always sous vide my steaks (then finish in the cast iron), but for some reason, I haven't gotten a pork chop I like that starts in the sous vide. So, just putting them from "cooked" to in the fridge is a no-no for safety reasons? I know it would take longer to cool down than in an ice bath, but I just assumed that if all the bacteria is dead then it wouldn't come back while the chop was slowly cooling down to fridge temp.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Everything I've read on this site and others say ice bath before fridge. It takes no more than 20-30 minutes to shock chill most things.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The reason is that they're going to warm up your fridge and its contents. Ziplocks are probably ok - I've just never tried it. And you want to use the ice bath - leaving it out to cool is not good.

Maybe some other folks will chime in.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Much appreciated. Ice bath it is.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here