Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking for a crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking for a crowd

I know some of you have been recruited into cooking for a big crowd. I am doing this soon for 75. The facility has a few large grills, with the height adjustable grates, and a nice commercial kitchen available. I’m searching for ideas on what to cook. Being in Ca, tri tip is readily available, I have done that for 30 people in the past, the problem was slicing up that much meat is a pain (literally) in the arm LOL. Also thought of chicken halves (or spatchcock) and cut up after cooking.

Other ideas? What have you all done for something like this?

I have no idea. Haven’t cooked for more than a dozen, with exception of brat & dogs for 150. But I would suggest start workin out, pump some iron, that’ll help ya with the arm thing. 😎

Comment

If you want to take the easy way out go with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Or order pizza.

If you are using park grills thinner meats as those grills don’t typically have lids.

Comment

I did moink balls yesterday were a big hit, easy to do and cook reasonably quick

Comment

Originally posted by adamjs83 View Post
          If you want to take the easy way out go with hamburgers and hot dogs.
          You must be a cheesehead like me, and didn’t suggest brats?? Lol

Comment

• adamjs83
            adamjs83 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t think I’ve seen a Brat since I left Wisconsin.

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
          If you are using park grills thinner meats as those grills don’t typically have lids.
          Right, Santa Maria style, perfect for tri tip

Comment

Chicken halves. They grill up great, remove the collar bones pre-cook so the breasts slice off real nice, crisp the skin, rip the leg quarters off when done and separate.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, rip em off, yeah!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Lmao

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly!

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            Chicken halves. They grill up great, remove the collar bones pre-cook so the breasts slice off real nice, crisp the skin, rip the leg quarters off when done and separate.
            👍 that’s the ticket

Comment

If you can set them up to smoke, butts are easy, feed a bunch of people, and no slicing required. Do the grills have lids, or are they open argentine style?

Comment

They are open grills, I could always do a bunch of pork butts ahead of time...

Comment

The last time I cooked for 75 (was actually almost 100) .... I cooked pork butt and chicken. I quartered the chickens into two breast plus wing and two thigh plus leg. I cooked 4 pork butts and 10 chickens. In my experience, a 7 lb boneless pork butt will feed 15 people, considering all the other sides and such. A 5 lb chicken will feed 4 people, considering all the other sides and such. I had nearly 30 lbs of pork butt and 50 lbs of chicken. I fed 90’ish people pretty easily.

One of the keys to it is to have lots of good looking sides. sliders for pork samiches. Macaroni and potato salad, coleslaw, tossed green salad, French fries, beans .... and more.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good, you’re the cook for the rodeo.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whoa, hold up there FireMan ... I don’t recall volunteering

Good advice thanks. I plan to buy a lot of sides and such from grocery store.

Comment

I've done this many times for FD events and fundraisers. Tri tips, chicken halves, beans and French bread are very straightforward and easy to cook, but you'll need help. A crew of 4, at any given time (think shifts) should be enough. Rent some chafing dishes, you won't regret it. It can be a satisfying experience, but don't do the lone ranger or it won't be ANY fun.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And auction or sell leftovers, if appropriate for the event.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is great advice ..... my normal approach is that I handle cooking the meat and get some helpers for all the sides. This usually works out really well.

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CaptainMike, "GOOD ADVICE"‼️ You And ecowper Should Partner Up For The "RODEO"‼️ I've Only Done A Few Large Cooks‼️ One Hell'ava Lot Of Work If You Don't Have A Good Plan
                      And Good Help‼️ I'd Move Your Own Grills Or Smokers Rather Than Use Unknown Park Grills‼️
                      Good Luck‼️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Another good tip is to take leftover to shelter, they are always thankful!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shoot I'd just get me a whole hog, stuff an apple in his mouth, throw him on my biggest cooker and.......oh, you've already done that, sorry.....just messin' with you dude, lots of good advice here !!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here