Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Listened Tootsie Tomantez (Snow's BBQ) speak last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listened Tootsie Tomantez (Snow's BBQ) speak last week

I had the pleasure of attending a rare Tootsie Tomantez speaking event in Austin last week. She has lived a pretty interesting life, which can be read with a simple google search.

Very sweet, humble woman, just like you would picture a country grandmother. She reminds me of my grandmother. She didn't make the final cut for the James Beard award, but was in top 10.

Some interesting takeaways from the Q&A.

-In the early years of Snow's, someone asked her how she got such a good smoke ring on her brisket it, she said she just cooks it like she always cooks it, then afterwards, asked one of the hands "What's a smoke ring?". Point being, she does everything by touch and feel, she doesn't get caught up in all the new techniques and technology, she just handles and cooks meat like she has since the 1960s.

-83 year old grandmother, works for the local school system during the week.

-Arrives at 2 a.m. Saturday mornings to take over from the hand who preps the fires and puts the meat on.

-All meat is local. Sausage made from Hildebrand meat market on the other side of town..

​​​​​​​-All sides are homemade (of course). Free pinto beans.

-Salt and pepper only on briskets.

-They use a smaller, leaner brisket than most, average 7-10lbs. No use of thermometers, all by feel.

-Everything smoked with live oak.

-They still have the original brick pits, which they use now for higher temp meats like chicken, but when they were voted one of the best in Texas about ten years ago, they went through some growing pains finding new pits. Many of the pits they tried cooked differently, so all the pitts were inconsistent from each other. Eventually they were able to get a big pit made for them, solved all the issues.

-She washes every single dish, she knows how she likes her dishes washed and doesn't want anyone else to do it.

-She was asked what BBQ was like in Texas in the 1950s vs today. She said while at City Meat Market, they never really sold brisket to the masses until the mid 1990s. Everything was carcass beef, not box beef.

-Their operation is an open book, if you want to go back and see the pits, see the meat etc, they will be happy to accommodate.

-I asked her what other BBQ joints she likes, she didn't name one, but went into a 5 minute talk about how the BBQ in Texas, especially central Texas, is very close knit. Mentioned her and Aaron Franklin are good friends and how if it wasn't for the BBQ family, her family and her church family, she wouldn't know how to get past the loss of her husband and son,
    both passing within years of each other not too long ago.

-You can order ahead of time for pickup, but if you do, you have to eat across the street at the park. Tables at the joint are reserved for line waters only. You can order online to ship to you.

Can't believe I haven't been out there yet. Will try to make it there this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tootsie.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	545102

Wow this must have been really cool. I would love to meet Tootsie someday. I have watched a few videos that have featured her and she seems like such a wonderful women and really dedicated to her craft. I bet it was really interesting to here how BBQ has changed since the 1950's, especially that they used to sell carcass beef instead of boxed beef. That would have been a sight to see. Another thing that I love about Snow's is the "open book" policy, they are more than happy to take you back to the pits and show you around. I found that to be pretty common at most of the places I visited in Central Texas. This makes the experience very unique and memorable.

Next time I am in Texas, I will make a point to stop at Snow's!

Thanks for the write up and that is a killer pic! Mantel worthy, if not, certainly worthy of our newsletter! ( Huskee ) Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

Comment

Sounds like a fun time.

Comment

I read about her wittle while back they should have given her the award

Comment

Wonder what she thinks of soos veed? 😎

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya couldn't resist, could'ya? ;-)

EdF 😊 😎 🤠 😂 😀 🕶

He, he, he, he!

I’ll tell you what tripped my trigger was "what’s a smoke ring" & cooking by touch and feel.
          Last edited by FireMan; August 8, 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Touchy-feelie and all that!

She is a Texas gem and a true bbq legend. Cooking by touch is what all the old pitmasters will tell you. Something to be said about that.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here