Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

olive oil or vegetable oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plain ol' olive oil (not EV or V) works just fine and tastes better for sautee and pan searing. Peanut oil for deep frying. Peanut oil and a touch of butter for pan frying. Canola or safflower oil for baking.

Comment

Duck fat is awesome for saute, pan searing, and frying, and actually is healthy. It is available in spray form (non aerosol) that expands its uses for cooking... I spray it on potatoes for baked fries, grilled veggies, chicken for roasting... basically anything I use fat for. Order it from the source: http://DuckFatSpray.com

Comment

I am on blood thinners and need to avoid Avocado among other things, so Avocado oil is out. What oils does anyone recommend for use on a gas grill if using direct heat? What about when doing Low and Slow?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, when doing low and slow, why use oil at all? Bloom spices with water on the meat. Done.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          while water is known as the universal solvent, some spices are much more lipid soluble.

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm. I didn't know that about avocado oil either and I use it alot. Gonna have to ask at the clinic tomorrow when they check my clotting factor. I've been rock solid for months so I'm not very worried about it.

SmokingSteve You might want to try what I call "regular" olive oil, not evoo. I use it in frying eggs & for grilling. FWIW it has a higher temp than evoo. If you’re on warfarin, high vitamin K is not good, but with avocado there is possibility of an interaction, don’t know why. Went thru this when I had my heart surgery a couple of years ago. Hope it’s temporary.

Comment

If you can't use avocado oil (maybe even if you can) then I agree with the others recommending a regular olive oil that has a higher smoke point.

Comment

I made this olive oil cake, and it was delicious:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1940056
            Last edited by gcdmd; October 13, 2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Use lots of lard, tallow, bacon grease, and butter here. I have really nice olive oils for finishing. Deep fry in tallow. Also ocasionally use coconut oil. Canola oil gets used when it is a must to use a neutral oil in a dish.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I don't fully buy into the satursted fat demonization either. I still use coconut oil and plenty of butter.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I used to use a lot of canola. I don’t do that no more. For all the "neutral oil" hype, gives everything a fishy odor when it’s heated. It’s high in omega-6, which makes it highly prone to oxidization, and inflammatory beside.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack EdF Attjack I would worry about that if I had a problem with inflammation, but I dont. I personally don't detect the fishy flavor that some do. As far as saturated goes, my lipid split is beyond excellent, and cholesterol is in double digits.
                Last edited by texastweeter; October 14, 2018, 02:54 PM.

I use EVOO for 'cold' dishes, i.e. salad dressings, salad caprese and similar. But I avoid heating it up, doesn't taste right. For frying and other high heat situations, I use peanut oil. Extremely neutral, and can take the heat. Canola oil leaves a metal/fishy odor which isn't desirable (to say the least). We don't have avocado oil in Sweden, but I'd sure like to try it one day.

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                I get that fishy odor from canola or vegetable oils too...stay as far away as I can!

Avocado oil is my go-to for nearly all cooking. EVOO for salad dressing. Corn when doing Mexican...perfect for frying pork carnitas. Used to use coconut oil, but you def get some of that flavor if used in larger amounts. Hawaiian BBQ anyone? ;-)

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah you have to be careful with coconut oil and coconut flour. If you don't, things start to taste like sun tan lotion, spring break, and bad decisions...

Like others have mentioned, I like to use EVOO for salads and stuff like that. And to me, nothing beats cooking with Avocado oil. High temp oil with a warm and buttery taste that I love. It is really great for searing steaks or scallops!

Comment

Well, after some research on the medical side of things I decided on Peanut Oil. 1 tablespoon has only 0.1 mcg (micrograms) of Vitamin K, and it has a very high smoke point. i would have loved to use the avocado oil but it has a much higher amount of Vitamin K.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Was my frying oil of choice for years until i switched to tallow. Not only does tallow taste the best to me, I dont have to worry about cooking for someone who has nut allergies.

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like peanut oil. Especially for frying. Final product tastes best.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here