Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

olive oil or vegetable oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

olive oil or vegetable oil

I notice that most recipes call for vegetable oil however I was wondering if one can use olive oil. Is there a big difference etc.

Thanks

It depends.

As an ingredient olive oil has a flavor while most vegetable oils are nearly flavorless. Typically this flavor is good in things like dressings, rubs it even mashed potatoes but not so good in baked goods.

As a fat for lubricating it had a low smoke point so yo can use it for lower beer sautées but definitely not high heat searing.

If you want to try a similar unrefined (processed) oil that can be used at higher heat try avocado it peanut oil.

Note: the above applies specifically to EVOO, extra virgin olive oil and not to refined olive oil which which is another processed vegetable oil.

Comment

Oil is a tool, not a flavor for BBQ. Vegetable oil.

Comment

I generally use olive oil in almost all my cooking except for deep frying. For this I use peanut oil.

Comment

Vegetable oil is a misnomer, as it’s really seed oil. It’s generally heat treated, with hexane, during extraction. Not just Canola, but sunflower, safflower, and corn.

I use the olive oil. The third press gold stuff. And avocado oil. Those are neutral oils that are not prone to trans configuration, so the choice in my kitchen. Don’t use EVOO, as it’s highly flavored.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            The oil is sourced from Australia. If that matters to ya any. Troutman

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            When polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) get hot, their molecules reconfigure into a straight line, known as trans fat. They make things bake nice, but they are bad mojo for your health. Vegetable oils are mostly PUFAs. Olive and Avo are mostly monounsaturated. No trans.

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            The smoke point of avocado oil is about 520F, which is higher than clarified butter. That and a neutral flavor is why I switched for high heat applications. I get it at Costco, also. China is spelled 60%+ USA, right?

Welcome to the Pit

Comment

I use good EVOO for dressings, vinaigrette’s, sauces and finishing when the flavor profile allows.

Aiolis and such anything else neutral.

Frying i use lard or a mix of lard and oil.

other that that use butter and or clarified.

all the other oils are about price, health and smoke points.

truthfully you can do just about anything with olive oil and be fine. Because of the reasons stated above by all the others, it simply does not make a lot of sense. But you can.

Comment

I’m somewhat with PKB, do not have veg, saffron,
              corn, canola in the house. Use mostly olive oil, EVOO, avacado. We put the veggie oils in the same category as high fructose corn syrup, not really good for ya. Just my feelings on research I’ve done.
              Last edited by FireMan; August 7, 2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Most vegetable oil is garbage IMO. I use avocado oil (neutral flavor) or coconut oil (has a flavor) these days for high heat. I use EV olive oil for most other things. You can also use non-EV olive oil for high heat. I say ditch the vegetable/corn oils.

Comment

I use olive oil for all sautéing needs. Not fancy stuff for cooking. vegetable and canola oils smell and taste fishy to me.

Comment

Just got into avocado oil and won't go back. Did SV burgers last week at 131/1hr, shocked, then rubbed with avo and seared on GG's: best crust/bark/Maillard ever!

Comment

I use Olive Oil for spraying on vegetables when I grill them and other cooking. It does not take high heat very well. I tried to make a roux using olive oil once... that did not turn out very well. I would also not use it to lubricate grates or to season a grill or griddle.

Comment

Everyone is right. IMHO what you need to do is learn all the categories of oils' burn temps, which are neutral and which add flavor, and take this highly personal tasting journey on your own and develop your style - flavor - of cooking. Restrict your trials to the heat levels you're using because that narrows it down a lot, and so does whether you intend to add a flavor from your oil, or be neutral. I suggest going neutral at first.

I had too many varieties of oils. I still have deep fry, pan fry, sauté, add-to (EVOO's), maintain cast iron, and grilling oils, but not as many. And after trying lots and settling on what I like - consistent known-source performers - I know I'll get what I expect.

My daughter recently sent me ~ 8 flavors of salt. I LOVE 'EM. Smoked, truffled, morel, paprika, etc. I'm learning to get flavors from the treated salt I'm using instead of infused oils.

Comment

• JGo37
                          JGo37 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Capt.

Smoke point is not really the relevant number. It’s useful for knowing how not to smoke up the house, but degradation of the oil is not happening at the smoke point.

Comment

• JGo37
                          JGo37 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow - anyone else getting tired of not knowing anything?

I wish a few more oils were listed, but I'll look them up. By dumb luck I don't have either sunflower or corn oil.

In my house it's olive oil for anything direct eating- by that I mean sauteing, dipping, Caprese salad, etc. Corn oil (the most flavorless of the veg oils IMO) as a tool for frying and mixing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here