Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cooks all take longer than the recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cooks all take longer than the recipe

I’m on an 18” Kamado Joe - when I got it I started following recipes from the actual Kamado Joe videos and the temp/times are usually pretty close to what I end up doing.

Now this mainly applies to low and slow but most of the meathead book and other recipes I’ve found on this site take way longer to finish than expected.

I did last meal ribs for example and they took a good 7 hours at 225 for babybacks before i eventually turned the heat up to 275 to feed my hungry guests.

is it because I’m on a kamado? I’ve been told since it runs moister than other grills I should be running things on the hotter side - any thoughts?

No, 5-7 hrs is pretty normal for ribs. Meathead's rib recipe I think accounts for smaller racks. I find anything around 2.5 lbs/rack and under goes closer to his times, whereas most stores near me want to sell StL & BB racks 3-3.5lbs and up, and those just take longer. It's not you.

Comment

I have the kamado joe, I no longer look at the stated times but will use those as a estimated. I don't cook hotter unless it is chicken, I have a cyberq so all of my slow cooks are at 225

Comment

Ok one more example from the book are the Yakitori Happy Mouth ribs - the recipe calls for individually separated ribs and a cook time of 90 mins at 225 - I was going for 3 hours before I cranked to 300 for last 30 mins (which then scorched the glaze)

now the grill was a bit crowded but I still had air between ribs, again these are pretty large Costco ribs but at the suggested 90 minute mark my ribs barely even had any color and were still tough

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          A typical non wrapped pork but will take me on average 14 hours, which is longer than most on here. I would assume being you crowded the grill it was that more of a mass to heat up

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          How did you determine doneness on the ribs

• Breaktheory
          Breaktheory commented
          Editing a comment
          To determine doneness I use a combo of the bend/crack test and I pull on the bone - if it feels like it can be twisted out with one hand I decide it’s done (although that may be a tad overdone for "competition style")

if i cook at 225 it will easily take me 2-3x longer than the recipes. the time is just a guideline, you need to learn your cooker and learn what temps work for you. i suggest you keep a journal of your cooks so when you go to cook a pork butt/brisket/ribs/etc you know how long it should take based on you cooking it, not how long it takes when meathead cooks it.

Comment

are you monitoring cook temp near your cook?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That was my question too.

When it comes to Costco BB ribs, they definitely take longer because they are huge. When I started out I made sure I followed the recommended 225 to a tee as much as possible. Then I learned (from the awesome people here) that going 25-50 degrees hotter doesn't hurt squat. No noticeable difference other than shaving off cook time.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            I've learned this over the last few months too... at first, I was very much "225* is the only way... and when it's done it's done." ... but I realized that 5 hours at 260 is pretty much the same as 7 hours at 225, and I don't have to wait as long to eat.

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post
          are you monitoring cook temp near your cook?
          yep I use a flame boss clipped right to the grate - the temps fluctuate about 30 degrees from the built in thermometer so I definitely don’t rely on it

Comment

Cooks in kamados always take longer. There is far less airflow with in the cooking chamber. All of my longest cooks are on my BGE. Just a fact of Kamado life.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I am about the same. The KBQ rips some ribs dude. I love it. EdF

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I love that with the KBQ you start smelling the meat when it's just about ready.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oooooh that smell, can't you smell that smell? EdF

My cooks also take longer than most recipies, both on my pellet rig and my kamado. Once I figured out that this is just the life, I settled down. Prior to that, I always wondered if some of my Q was coming out as good as it could be and I would have questions swirling in my head. I built my pellet rig myself and so I assumed I had somehow built a less efficient smoker. After enough happy sauce covered faces, I just relaxed and started sooner.

My big hunks of meat take about 1.5 hours/lb. I pull my ribs about 45 minutes to an hour after they pass the bend test. Both of these depend as much on good heat control as much as the individual characteristics of the meat. Sometimes, you just get meat that takes longer.

Comment

I had the same issue. Was using a Thermoworks TW8060 and then the Flame Boss 200. Always put the pit probe on the left side, in front of the meat. So the left front quadrant. Started moving the probe around and discovered that I had a hot spot right where I always set the probe, but only when there was a piece of meat centered on the grill. Moved the probe towards the back and my times (while still a little longer than documented) came down to just a little more than what I would expect.

Best regards,
              Jim

Comment

I find that every large or thick cut of meat varies, and varies markedly. It may be that I have two brands of coals even, or I don't use the same wood chunks twice in a row, or more or less, or the humidity. I've learned that when my wife asks when dinner is, to say 'tonight', and to still be prepared to call delivery.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here