Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No meat menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If she eats cheese, a dish of cheese/veggie enchiladas on the smoker/grill really takes on some good flavor compared to just the oven.

Comment

My wife makes an excellent vegetarian Red Beans and Rice that is just ... excellent. Not sure where she found the recipe, but I’d be happy to share if interested.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
        BBQ_Steve-O commented
        Editing a comment
        I love red beans and rice! I'm interested - please share the recipe!

For something a little different:

I'm a serious carnivore so I never thought I could enjoy vegetarian food, but I spent some time in India for work and I discovered some amazing vegetarian dishes.

One thing that I liked a lot was their kababs or these. They use paneer with various fruits and variety of vegetables, dusted with a curry powder and basted with curry sauce. They cook over hibachi like grills or in a tandoor, which is like a kamado.

I would also recommend dahl and naan, and plain paratha or stuffed paratha. I suggest the plain paratha dough because it is more versatile, but watch the stuffed video too. Another use of the dough is paneer rolls!!!! All of these are pretty easy to make and can be cooked outdoors.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
      Last edited by BBQ_Steve-O; August 8, 2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I really like a grilled salad, something I believe meathead has in this site somewhere. Recently I did a grilled greek salad grilling the lettuce and tomato and adding cucumber and croutons for crunch. If you can make crunchy grilled bread or pitas. Crunch is essential since the lettuce will not be as crunchy after grilling (but soooo much better)

Comment

BBQ_Steve-O - Modified version of a recipe that SWMBO found on the internet several years ago ... and unfortunately, I have no idea who to attribute the original to. It's very good, though.

Vegetarian (almost vegan) Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
          • 1 pound small red beans
          • 2 tablespoons olive oil
          • 1 large onion, diced
          • 3 cloves garlic
          • 3 medium green peppers, chopped
          • 3 stalks celery, chopped
          • 2 bay leaves
          • ½ teaspoon ground sage
          • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
          • 1 chipotle pepper (from canned chipotles in adobo), seeds removed and finely chopped
          • 4 cups vegetable stock
          • 3 cups water
          • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (sorry vegans ... you'll need to use vegan/gluten-free Worcestershire)
          • ½ cup chopped scallions, for garnish (optional)
          • 2 tsp salt
          • 1 Tbsp sugar
          • Cooked rice, for serving
          • Tabasco sauce, for serving
          • Cayenne pepper to taste (we don't use any at all)
          Soak the beans overnight, or use the quick soak method. Drain and set aside.
          Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Add the onion, garlic, peppers and celery. Sauté until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the beans, bay leaves, sage, oregano, chipotles, cayenne, stock, 3 cups of water, salt, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender (this may take anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours, depending on the age of your beans.) Add more water as needed to keep the beans from drying out; when dine, the mixture should be saucy yet slightly thick. If it seems too watery, mash a cup of the beans and stir back in. (The dish will also naturally thicken overnight if you are serving it the next day.)
          Remove the bay leaves and serve on rice, passing the Tabasco.
          Serves 6-8
          Last edited by MBMorgan; August 10, 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffJ - Truth be told, we do the pretty much the same (except for the roux) most of the time ...

• BBQ_Steve-O
            BBQ_Steve-O commented
            Editing a comment
            BTW:
            The best beans I have ever tasted in my life come from Dove Creek, CO. Its a tiny little town close to the Utah border. We always load up on em when we go through there. If you ever get the chance...

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQ_Steve-O - Good to know ... thanks!

My go-to for the grill when vegetarians are over is definitely the portobello. Marinate for an hour in balsamic, garlic, and some olive oil. Grill and top with diced roasted red peppers and melt a slice of provolone over the peppers to keep it all together.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes on the portabello. With the marinade you are describing it tastes very much like steak when grilled. It's very under-rated IMO.

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I forgot... sometimes will add some fresh basil in with the roasted peppers under the cheese if I have some on hand.

Does she eat fish, shellfish, mussels & clams, etc.?

Everybody's right and there are great ideas here - I want them all. But I'm gonna have to tell you straight what you don't want to hear, but must:

Time to get your Tofu game going. Grilled - can I say it? - goodness.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!

Looks like you have great ideas listed above. Welcome To The Pit!! It is great to have you here!

Comment

I don't eat meat or dairy products either. It's pretty hard to live with people who grill meat every day.

Comment

• DustinWang
              DustinWang commented
              Editing a comment
              I replaced cow's milk with vegetable milk. I like pistachio and banana milk best. I replaced the cheese with tofu. I saw a cool device for making tofu at https://www.amazon.com.au/TofuBud-To.../dp/B086Q4TRG8 . I plan to order it and make tofu at home. It's much more cost-effective and tasty that way.

Pulled jackfruit sandwich is a winner.
            Mix with BBQ sauce and treat it like pulled pork.

Adobo Mushroom Tacos.
            https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ad...cid=inline_amp

Cauliflower Tacos with Cashew Crema.
            https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ca...&utm_content=B

Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups https://www.today.com/today/amp/recipes/tdrp224655

Open-faced Mushroom Sandwiches.
            https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...no-salsa-verde

Last edited by Attjack; June 21, 2022, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I can make a meal out of Elotes alone

Elotes (Grilled Mexican Street Corn) Recipe (seriouseats.com)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here