Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf 'n Turf (for a hot summer's day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf 'n Turf (for a hot summer's day)

Hi all,

it's silly hot here in Sweden (yes, I realize how strange that sounds to most people, but it's true). I really wanted to cook up a nice dinner, but it could not be to 'heavy' due to the warm weather. Also, I didn't want to compromise and skip the red meat. Trust ye olde "Surf 'n Turf" to deliver!

Said and done, this was one of the easier and faster cooks I've ever done. But although each part was easy, together it formed a nice palette of flavors and experiences. It was all served with a nice Riesling (white German wine), labelled "Einz, Zwei, Dry". Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of German easily finds the play with words in that title. It's still a good wine.

So, I went to a new butcher, and they had an amazing Finnish (!) ribeye from Aberdeen Angus cattle. It "slipped" into my grocery cart. Then I bought some scallops and veggies.

The whole meal is a twist on a classic Surf 'n Turf as I didn't use lobster, but it turned out just right. The whole cook was done using just direct heat, so it was dead easy.

I fried some scallops in a cast iron pan with butter. I drizzled some salt, lemon pepper, and tarragon on top.

I fried the ribeye in the same pan (cleaned in between), flipped the steak a few times, then added salt and let it rest. Took it at 52° C (125 °F)

Here's the raw ribeye (300 grams, or 11 oz), check out that marbling:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Surfnturf-steak_raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	535492

In the meantime I did the rest of the plate:

Red and black roe on 2 table spoons of Smetana (soured heavy cream). So fresh with a little saltiness from the sea.

Quickly roasted spring carrots, drizzled with liberal amounts of oil and plenty of salt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Surfnturf_carrots_raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	836.0 KB ID:	535491

The steak, done, now resting

Click image for larger version  Name:	Surfnturf_steak_done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	535493

Some homemade Muhamarra (middle eastern paprika/walnut relish, the red stuff in the middle)

Cheese filled olives

All in all this was one of the better plates I've put together in a while.

Stay classy, San Diego!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_68914.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	535489

And of course, the wine, from the Rheingau region:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Surfnturf-wine.jpg Views:	1 Size:	517.1 KB ID:	535490

Last edited by Henrik; July 21, 2018, 11:49 AM.

I need to surf on over to your place.

Comment

Beautiful dish!

The neighborhood still talks about the Surf n Turf night we had over the summer. I think I need to do it again...

Name:	ribeye1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	622.0 KB
ID:	535506

Name:	food01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	535507

(...after the pulled pork and Canadian bacon projects...)

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that looks amazing!

Henrik Who needs lobster when you have good scallops! I like both, of course. And that was one nice-looking piece of meat!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed! And I'm a big fan of both.

102-104 here with 110 heat index. I'm in my truck in the air conditioner getting a hot dog and mozzarella sticks from Sonic.

Tube Steak and Tube Cheese.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, I have heard of the tube steak boogie, but the tube cheese boogie is disturbing.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF It got funner. Vehicle in front accidentally paid for my food. I told them I could pay to even out their drawer, they said not to worry about it.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard . Sounds like a day of good fortune!

Sounds like a very pun-filled evening.

Comment

Doing a Google search I discovered Surf 'n Turf is Swedish for Money 'n Mo Money.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol! You keep teaching me all kinds of new stuff Jerod. Love it.

All kidding aside, all the food in this post looks amazing

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, cept one of Henrik’s olives is a little cockeyed.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

Once again great looking food. I’m with you using scallops. While I like lobster there is nothing finer than a well cooked scallop, IMHO.

Comment

That steak looks way better than plain old Angus! Even better than Prime. Looks more like Wagu

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            It sure does! Didn’t plan on buying it, but just had to when I saw it :-)

Amazing looking steak! I bet the flavour was killer! And can’t beat scallops on the side!

Comment

Gorgeous meal Henrik! Hopefully the ban is lifted soon and she cools down over there!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here