Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side Option: Mostarda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Option: Mostarda

No specific recipe here. Just an accompaniment/sauce technique I recently became aware of. Michael Symon's newest book has a pork loin recipe with a mostarda. I gave it a whirl on the 4th of July and then did a different one yesterday with some rotisserie chicken. Basically, a mostarda is fruit -- either fresh or dried or both -- shallots, vinegar, spices and mustard -- usually both dried and prepared -- cooked down to an almost jam-like consistency. The net result is sort of a sweet and sour sauce, but with so much more flavor than just a sauce. Don't get wrapped up in any one recipe for this. If you Google it, you'll find hundreds. Use them to get your ratios of vinegar and mustard, but so far in my experience you can throw whatever fruit you like in the pot and it just adds more. Symon's had a better spice mix, Food & Wine's had a better fruit mix...next weekend I am going to merge the two and start narrowing down "Jeff's Mostarda".

Just thought I would throw this out there. Something you can add to your next pork or chicken cook if you're looking to impress someone...like yourself.

Welcome to the Pit and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Neat idea. Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here