Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ vs Grillin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ vs Grillin

I was wondering why BBQ and grillin seem to have separate definitions, so looked up "origin of BBQ"

Today I found out why barbecues are called that. The word “barbecue” comes from the Caribbean word “barbacoa.” Originally, a barbacoa wasn’t a way of cooking food, but the name of a wooden structure used by Taino Indians to smoke their food. Due to the known diets of the Indians in question, it’s likely that the first barbecue consisted of [...]

Does this fit with the thinkin here?

So, just to add... growing up in USA, BBQ usually just meant Hot Dogs and Hamburgers; which isn't bad at all.

Comment

And I guess this kinda says what Grillin is:

Comment

And here is adifferent take on BBQ

Comment

OK, I'm done replying to my own post: comments?

Comment

Grilling is a subset of bbqing.

Comment

Well I see it this way, if you are grilling you are cooking on a grill, roasting is over fire, smoking is a separate source of fire, either way it’s awesome

Comment

I was raised that grillin' is BBQ. Ate BBQ extensively growing up, never saw one piece of wood, only a couple thousand pounds of charcoal.

​​​​​I'm finally coming around to smoking some brisket and calling it BBQ.

Comment

IDK what the definitions say, but to me its pretty simple. If a live flame outdoors is a source of heat for cooking, it's BBQ.

Comment

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      —- 👍—-

Direct heat = grilling

Indirect heat = BBQ (especially when there’s smoke)

... and everything in between ... 😎 ...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Isn't the 'in between' called 'slow and sear'? ;-)

• dahcopilot
                      dahcopilot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      but you can bbq on a grill

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      dahcopilot - If you reread my post, you'll see that I said "direct heat = grilling" and "indirect heat = BBQ". I didn't mention the type of cooker used in either case. And yes, I absolutely agree that you can BBQ on a grill (with or without a SNS) if you're using indirect heat.
                      Last edited by MBMorgan; July 19, 2018, 11:23 AM.

"While people may debate over what should be the correct spelling or what exactly constitutes barbecue, there is one thing we can all agree on: a barbecue is definitely no longer a shelter or a sleeping structure!"

I wholeheartedly disagree as I have built two BBQ shacks/shelters and may have dosed off in one of them on multiple occasions.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ain't even got a structure, yet I've dozed off, as well...

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm an American Staffordshire Terrier.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A fine breed indeed!

S'all good, man. 👍

Comment

Here is what Meathead has to say not he subject. Give this article a read!

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I haven't read it yet, but from the Homer Simpson magazine cover, I think I can see where it's going!

• BBQ_Steve-O
                        BBQ_Steve-O commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

• treesmacker
                        treesmacker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What a great article. I don't have time to read all of it now, but i will. So much history and detail. Thanks for posting.

BBQ: lower heat, indirect heat source, longer times, there is smoke.
                      Grilling: higher heat, direct heat source, shorter times, smoke may or may not be present (depending on fuel source).

sort of. That’s what it means lessin’ Y’all ain’t from round here. Again sort of. I’m too far south to hear that much, where I am the next part is the case.

The reality: both mean "cooking outdoors". The terms are interchangeable except among purists. And nobody likes them. You don’t invite friends over for a "grill", you invite them over for barbecue - no matter how you are cooking.

So so I will fire up the grill, even if I plan to slow cook pulled pork. I will invite people to a barbecue and cook hamburgers over a direct flame. My gas grill is a "barbecue" and a "grill" at the same time, depending on the rest of the sentence. Let’s BBQ some hamburgers and hotdogs” doesn’t mean slow smoke them for hours. Let’s grill some pulled pork does mean slow cooked for many hours over smoke.

It’s all good. Everyone knows what you mean.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Feed them, and they will come"!

• dahcopilot
                        dahcopilot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        what he said plus 1

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here